Testing new Thordendal Modern with some KSE- like riffing

monsterhulk

Inspired
Hi thought i post this too.

It is an older song of mine i d like to do with my new project. Of course there will be vocals on it
when it s ready.

I ll post the whole song plus the rythm guitars only.

In my opinion the "Thordendal Amp" is the most exiting hi gain amp i ve ever heard.

Here is the clip complete

And here the guitars only

I hope you enjoy it and feel free to post comments bout the sound or whatever and sorry 4 da sloppy playin

Greatz M

Hi,

the patch is pretty simple so it seems to be better to describe what i ve done to dial it in.

My Guitar seems to have a lttle low output pickup wise and is a little dark sounding.

So the first thing i do is: Raise the "Definition" to something about 2, and the "Input Trim" to 1.600.

This is just to compensate some weaknesses in the guitar. The next step is to look for a good sounding
IR. This is a very personal thing. I am using always TWO IRs.

For me the "4x12 German Boutique" with an R121 is the best low mid rangey IR in the Axe. I ve compared
a lot but i find it sounds realy natural and tight. (But my guitar seems to be very lavish on the Low End side.)
Anyway. If there is a lack of lows i ll work with the "Proximity" (higher values, less "low end"). The other parameter
i like to use here is the "Motor Drive". I seem to end up with a boost to about 3.10 or higher. It makes the sound getting
more "alive" (in lack of better terms).

After that i go and do the more about the same to an other IR. For this sound i ve used an

"FrozenSunAudio Fredman-Pack" - IR. Those are my absolute favourites. But if you d like to stay with AxeFx some "Kalthallen V30",
or maybe the "Mills 12k", the "SLM V30" or the "30W Ultra" could do it for you. I ve always used third party IRs to mix them in and
most of the time this did it for me.

After that you could put your TS808 or whatever boost pedal you like at first position of the grid. I think the TS808 gives a little less
boost than the Eternal Love which gives a Little less boost than the TS808 Mod. If i just want LESS boost i use the "Plus Distortion".
If you want you can dial in some EQ here. I do 2 dB of 1300 hZ mid boost. Drive at 0, Tone at noon, Level at 10. Thats it so far

The next step is to reduce the input on the ampsim gain to get a more defined sound, use the lo/mid/hi and (if the "original" amp has)
the "presence/depth" knobs.

More Presence means slightly more Gain.
More Input Drive means slightly more Bass.
More Highs makes the sound rather harsh.
The Presence knob boosts Highs and a part of the Mids.
The Master Volume boost some of the low mids.

Thats all. For this sound my "knobs" are

Drive: 4.35
Bass: 6.8
Mid: 4.5
Treb: 6.8
HiCut .65
Mstr: 2.95

InputTrim: 1.600
Definition 2.0

The rest is untouched.

Greatz M

Cool, I tried these settings and it started to come together a bit when I mixed the thordendal vintage and modern together. Where do you get the Fredman pack? I only see the "mythical creatures" packs on their website. I'm tempted to get that Fenris pack.

Hi,

that is great that it works for you. I ve never spent less time to tweak a good sound with an ampsim like with that thordendal thing ...

Concerning that fredman pack look at this posting ...

Introducing two new IR packs, massive IR shootout, AND a surprise! - Ultimate Metal Forum

... and feel free to contact Jake for more Information. He is a great person and realy helpful.

Just to get you the difference i have made three different clips with every Fenris and Fredman IR (23 IRs) included in those packs.

Fenris Vintage

Fenris Modern

Fredman

Only thing i did to the preset is to turn change JUST the FrozenSun IRs

If you wanna more comparisons feel free to ask.

Greatz M

Hey guys, just wanted to clear some things up. The Fredman IRs did not make it to the website for a few reasons. A. They don't really fit with the "mythological" theme of the rest of our IR packs, and B. they contain Modern only versions, without the Vintage versions the other packs have, so they're what I would consider a bit "outdated" though they still sound good. It's a possibility for the Fredman IRs to be posted to the website once they are updated along with the rest. All of our IR packs are in the process of being upgraded to the next generation, and newly rethought "remastered" versions will go live hopefully within the next two months. The upgrade will be quite free for all owners of the respective packs, as always. If you'd like to purchase the Fredman packs, send me a PM here.

Here is the free sample pack that contains one of the Fredman IRs only, some of these IRs were the first IRs we've ever produced some years ago, so don't expect the same quality as you would get in a current gen pack.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8838613/IRs Premium/Frozen Sun Audio Free IR Pack.zip

Last edited:
Hi,

that is great that it works for you. I ve never spent less time to tweak a good sound with an ampsim like with that thordendal thing ...

Concerning that fredman pack look at this posting ...

Introducing two new IR packs, massive IR shootout, AND a surprise! - Ultimate Metal Forum

... and feel free to contact Jake for more Information. He is a great person and realy helpful.

Just to get you the difference i have made three different clips with every Fenris and Fredman IR (23 IRs) included in those packs.

Fenris Vintage

Fenris Modern

Fredman

Only thing i did to the preset is to turn change JUST the FrozenSun IRs

If you wanna more comparisons feel free to ask.

Greatz M

Great tones as always Mobius! Love the riffing too.

Back
Top Bottom