Test my patch for me?

Morbid

Inspired
Hey gang.
Since upgrading to Firmware 19 from 15 on my Axe-FX II, my old patch basically went to Hell, haha. So rather than trying to rectify the problem, I decided to start fresh. However, I'm experiencing some serious hum/buzz, which I recognize is of course a symptom of high gain, but something seems off...

Of course, it's worse in Scene 2 with the boost pedal, and even worse in Scene 3 with the more high gain pedal (again, expected), but I genuinely think I'm experiencing more hum than I should be. However, when I move around, depending on which way I face, the hum gets better/worse. It never fully goes away of course, unless I turn the volume all the way down on my guitar, and all of my guitars have similar symptoms, though I have noticed that it gets louder on the neck pickup for some reason. Never the less, I haven't quite narrowed down what the problem is just yet, so I figured I'd throw my patch out here and see if anyone could give it a run and tell me how bad the hum/buzz they experience is, before I go any deeper into inspections.

http://www.thehybrid.net/New Patch Test.syx

It's worth mentioning that I'm running the Axe-FX II into a Matrix GT1000FX, and out of my Mesa Boogie Stiletto 4x12 (thus the FX loop, but no cab yet). :encouragement:

Hello Morbid :)

I tried your preset and I don't have any hum or buzz at all !??
except for my middle single coil pickup (*H*S*H* guitar pick setup)
it gets a little noisy but nothing out of the ordinary

got a dimarzio mo joe and paf joe and a regular ibanez S1 single coil

it actually sounds great :)

hopefully you will find out what is wrong, maybe if more people try your preset

Thanks for giving it a whirl. Your time, and compliments, are both greatly appreciated.
If a few more people experience the same as you, I'll know I've got some serious digging to do.

Sounds like electrical interference in your room, if it moves as you move.

That's what I figure, but it seems to happen through my entire house, not just my room. Whether it's in a room with nothing but my amp on, or in my garage...everywhere. I tried a Ground Lift in my room, so I know it's not a ground problem. Even had the electric company come out last week to make sure everything was on the up and up, and according to them, it is.

Are you in a room with an old CRT television in it? I used to get this problem if I had my tv on or if I was too close to my laptop when recording.

Vatta, no sir. LCD TV (turned off)and LED monitors (which I also turned off to test). I DO have dimmable lights in my room, which when on can be noisy, but I had them off when I was testing. And like I said, it happens in other rooms too. There's not a single CRT device in this house.

Fredlos: I'm running through a Furman PL-PLUS C. I actually even tried bypassing it and just plugging straight into the wall with the Axe-FX and my Poweramp, no change in sound.

Vatta, no sir. LCD TV (turned off)and LED monitors (which I also turned off to test). I DO have dimmable lights in my room, which when on can be noisy, but I had them off when I was testing. And like I said, it happens in other rooms too. There's not a single CRT device in this house.

Fredlos: I'm running through a Furman PL-PLUS C. I actually even tried bypassing it and just plugging straight into the wall with the Axe-FX and my Poweramp, no change in sound.

Is the furman new? Did you use it in the past and have no issues?

My last furman for some reason caused major Hum when it was in my rack up against the axe fx. As soon as I moved them a few spaces away from each other the hum went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the furman new? Did you use it in the past and have no issues?

My last furman for some reason caused major Hum when it was in my rack up against the axe fx. As soon as I moved them a few spaces away from each other the hum went away.

I did get it second hand, but right now I don't even have the furman plugged in, nevertheless turned on, and it's still doing it. Do you think just contact, inspite of that, could cause hum?

No noise for me. Im running my Suhr modern through your patch into a GT1000 and a Zilla 2x12 (loaded with a V30 and a G1275 creamback). Sounds really nice.

I did get it second hand, but right now I don't even have the furman plugged in, nevertheless turned on, and it's still doing it. Do you think just contact, inspite of that, could cause hum?

Mine was due to contact. It took forever for me to figure out what the problem was because I had it unplugged and still the issue was there which was confusing.
It probably isn't the case with your issue but I figured it's worth ruling out.
My old furman had a brass colored casing which might have been the issue. My new furman is fine

paulmapp8306; Thanks very much for taking the time to run through it, and for the compliment. It's appreciated.
I guess I've got some more digging to do. Good AND bad news I suppose.

boltrecords; If I turn my guitar down, or unplug it, everything is silent...pleasantly so. Even on the boosted scenes, the noise is minimal. When I turn the guitar back up, all hell breaks loose. And I don't mean my playing, lol.
Initially, I was entirely willing to accept responsibility, assuming that my soldering skills were to blame, but I also tried it on a stock PRS SE, and my father's Stock Fender Strat. The only difference in results, were that when my father's strat was in split positions, it was quiet...pleasantly so.
I plugged in my RGD7421 with Bareknuckle Juggernauts too, and it was the loudest of them all. Like a mighty roar...but less mighty and more annoying, lol.

I'll try to take and upload a video later tonight demonstrating what's going on.

If the noise fades in and out as you move, it is almost certainly EMI noise. Another user reported this same type of issue recently. Are you using a drive that has been G3'd? The drive (output level actually) on those I believe has increased. I've noticed having to turn down the level on the ones I use to get about the same output.

hyderipper, that's part of why I started fresh.
I'm not an Axe-FX expert by any means, but I made it a point to try and only use as much 'umf' as was necessary to get the sound and feel that I wanted. And I DID take notice, that it took less than my previous experiences.

Just a thought. I, like many others, tend to start going with settings I'm used to using. It's that whole 'dial with your ears thing' I have to keep telling myself.

Watched the video. 99.9% something in the room causing that interference with the guitars PUs. Firstly the sound is consistent with with any similar issues Iver had that were resolved (both with AFX and real amps), and secondly the fact it changes with guitar orientation, which is a dead give away. If it was in the AFX/Matrix/Furman then guitar orientation would nt affect the sound usually. The exception is that a ground loop in the rack might do this - but it shoudnt change with guitar orientation so its unlikely IMO. I guess it could be a loop in the rack AND an external source and the two are acting together, but that would be rare.

Id try the following:

1. Move the rig to a different room and see what you get. If you still get it try a different building if you can (to rule out any electrical wiring or field issues).

2. Turn everything off and unplug anything in the room NOT required to run the AFX rig and see what happens. If the noise is still there it could indicate the rack, if it goes turn on one thing at a time (lights, PC, monitors etc) and see when then noise comes back.

3. If its still there with just the rack, take the units out of the rack and separate them a little - if the sound changes then theres an earth loop somewhere - that is two units are touching in the rack (or via the rack) with some kind of earth loop issue.

You also need to check cables. you could do this before you try the above or after if the noise isnt isolated. You need to swop EVERY cable (guitar and patch) in the rig one at a time. Again though, as the noise changes with guitar orientation Id be inclined to do that last personally.

OOH - one other thought. It might not be something in the room - but something else in the house on the same circuit. I did encounter something similar that was actually next doors baby monitor. Wont be in this case, but in myine it ws a different sound (a poor switch mode PSU makes more of a motor boat sound) and happened in evenings and only sometimes during the day. It took AGES to find the issue and of course I couldnt do anything about it even when I had. It went away after a few months when junior got a little older.

Back
Top Bottom