Tell me about Tennessee

We've lived in TN for 8 years now (lived in Alabama for the other 43 of my life. The Nashville area has really boomed in that just since we've been here and some may not see that as a good thing. Housing has easily doubled in price and it seems like Metro is eating up more and more suburbs all the time. You view on high cost of living and mine may be completely different. Alabama was cheap. Taxes, car tags anything municipal was much cheaper. Brentwood and Franklin are the trendiest areas at the moment. If you can afford it, come on down. I'm not trying to discourage anybody even though it may sound like it. Please let me know if you have any questions. I live North of Metro in the little town of Greenbrier and even more so out in the sticks. I love it out there, but I'm also still renting at 51. Hendersonville and Gallatin are popular too and are up and coming. You may look into those.
Oh, my other hobby is motorcycles. TN has some of the great roads for riding too.

Tennessee is brilliant. Texas, too, in different ways. (Not as much to my liking, flora-and-fauna-wise and weather-wise.) The right parts of Georgia and North and South Carolina are pretty great, too. I've lived in most of those areas. They all have their bad bits (sticky humid summertimes are high on the list) but, taking one thing with another and considering the alternatives, they're still very good. And you'll be welcome. I've certainly been blessed by all my friendships with folks who fled California for one reason or another, and unless they're hiding something, they certainly seem happy to be here.

NOTE: People accustomed to places like Arizona (and to a lesser degree, some parts of California) have reported feeling vaguely claustrophobic when outdoors in North Carolina, north Georgia, Tennessee, etc. because so much area is shaded by overarching trees with relatively dense foliage. For the same reason, I, having been raised in the latter areas, do not regard California as "adequately green," not even northern California. (And the mesas of the Southwest are interesting but stark: I'd never want to live near them.) To me, the "golden hills" of California, and even wine country, just look brown and barren, and even Muir Woods seems dry and the trees have too few branches. It's a difference of preference...but it's surprising how keenly one can feel it. My favorite outdoor experiences are always associated with the dappled silver light filtered through the oak boughs and pines (higher up) and then (one level down), the dogwoods. The contrast is felt more profoundly the closer you are to mountains; the coastal plains don't have such a profound effect. Anyway, if that's your jam, get ye to the Appalachians, or at least Nashville, as fast as can be.

Almost all of the major cities of Canada and all of the lower 48 of the US sits on a lower latitude then most of Europe. Toronto sits at the same latitude as the French Cote d'Azur, not exactly known for its harsh winters. We're closer to the arctic then you guys are and yet you joke that Canada and the Northern US are some sort of big freezer. What a difference the Gulf Stream makes. Then again it also runs in front of the East Coast.

Almost all of the major cities of Canada and all of the lower 48 of the US sits on a lower latitude then most of Europe. Toronto sits at the same latitude as the French Cote d'Azur, not exactly known for its harsh winters. We're closer to the arctic then you guys are and yet you joke that Canada and the Northern US are some sort of big freezer. What a difference the Gulf Stream makes. Then again it also runs in front of the East Coast.
...and the East Coast benefits from it as well, at least close to the ocean. Sometimes in the winter in NJ, though, we'd get a storm sweeping in from Canada that would stall at the shore, and backpedal all that warm, humid air onto us as snow.

A lot of the world's climate depends on that particular warm current sweeping north....

Ah, la mer.... Si grande, si mysterieuse, si...plein de poisson! :)

It's almost like latitude alone doesn't dictate climate, eh?

http://www.bytemuse.com/post/interactive-equivalent-latitude-map/ is interesting to play with.

It's almost like latitude alone doesn't dictate climate, eh?

I know. But logically since you're further down south you should get more sun. I live further up north then most Canadians complaining they live in a freezer.

[/quote]
http://www.bytemuse.com/post/interactive-equivalent-latitude-map/ is interesting to play with.
[/QUOTE]

There is one omission in that site though.

However, some interesting similarities can be seen, eg: the wine grape growing regions of California, South Africa, Australia and The Mediterranean have similar latitudes.

Europe also has wine growing regions in Northern France and Germany in the same latitude as New Found Land. And people are currently growing wine here in the Netherlands too. The climate is most definitely warming up.

NOTE: People accustomed to places like Arizona (and to a lesser degree, some parts of California) have reported feeling vaguely claustrophobic when outdoors in North Carolina, north Georgia, Tennessee, etc. because so much area is shaded by overarching trees with relatively dense foliage. For the same reason, I, having been raised in the latter areas, do not regard California as "adequately green," not even northern California. (And the mesas of the Southwest are interesting but stark: I'd never want to live near them.) To me, the "golden hills" of California, and even wine country, just look brown and barren, and even Muir Woods seems dry and the trees have too few branches. It's a difference of preference...but it's surprising how keenly one can feel it. My favorite outdoor experiences are always associated with the dappled silver light filtered through the oak boughs and pines (higher up) and then (one level down), the dogwoods. The contrast is felt more profoundly the closer you are to mountains; the coastal plains don't have such a profound effect. Anyway, if that's your jam, get ye to the Appalachians, or at least Nashville, as fast as can be.

That is the biggest change I see when I go back to TN. It's so amazingly green. Everywhere you look. Doing anything outdoors there is great. Also, ticks, and allergies, where I didn't even think I had allergies. The whole TN valley area is supposed to be one of the worst places in the country for allergies, so I obviously trigger off something there. I don't have those issues anywhere else I've lived.

I think if it came down to it, I'd probably still end up in Western NC over TN though. I was born there though, and there is something about it.

Just got back from a Nashville neighborhood scouting trip. We covered Brentwood, Franklin, and Thompsons Station. Our preference seemed to gravitate toward the northernmost parts of Franklin. One of the things that surprised the heck out of me is how deceptive some of the property photos are on Zillow. You'll think you've found a perfect house on a relatively flat plot, but when you get there, it's on such a steep incline that you need mountain goat skills to mow the lawn.

Other than that, my wife and I loved the area. Really beautiful. Played an open mic in Franklin, and the level of talent was off the scale. We're used to blowing people away, and we were maybe above average for the night. We're still on course to seriously start house hunting there in the spring.

Last edited:
I know. But logically since you're further down south you should get more sun. I live further up north then most Canadians complaining they live in a freezer.
[/QUOTE]

Europe also has wine growing regions in Northern France and Germany in the same latitude as New Found Land. And people are currently growing wine here in the Netherlands too. The climate is most definitely warming up.
[/QUOTE]

All wine is not created equal. The recent growth of viticulture in northern regions has more to do with innovation and the breeding of varietals that can survive the cold winters than it does with climate change. Here’s a brief history.

https://winesvinesanalytics.com/features/article/115798/Northern-Grapes-Project-Sees-Results

Last edited:
We're still on course to seriously start house hunting there in the spring.
Our plan is to spend a few weeks in each place starting whenever travel looks less dicey for our family. So probably spring/summer. Austin and the outlying areas are now on the list for us as well.

Our plan is to spend a few weeks in each place starting whenever travel looks less dicey for our family. So probably spring/summer. Austin and the outlying areas are now on the list for us as well.
Austin is ok. Horrendous traffic but def the most liberal of the big Texas cities. Great outdoors hiking/rivers/lakes etc. Miserably hot during the summer, and little more variety seasonally than where I live, Houston. Great food, within a few hour drive of all the other major cities in Texas (Dalls, SA, Houston).

My wife traveled there monthly for work pre-Covid so we spend a lot of time there and enjoy it.

Austin is one of my top five cities in the world. Has a lot going for it: great music scene, great food (Although I would put your current local higher in that regard) great golf, world class racing facility, diverse geography (for Texas), proximity to the other major cities, etc... Always something to do.

Down side is it’s growing so fast the infrastructure is struggling to keep pace. Traffic can be annoying, but it’s not anywhere near the pain level of LA, Chicago, or Houston. Weather wise...it’s Texas so it can be a little warm, but the relative humidity, makes it tolerable. It is the outlier culturally from the rest of the state, but I wouldn’t call it polarizing.

Lived in Tennessee all my life except for my college years, but Memphis, not Nashville. Moved to Austin 9 years ago. Haven't regretted my decision once. I went to Nashville exactly a year ago this week for a King Crimson concert and can tell you this. Austin and Nashville are very similar in their attraction and their problems.

Too much growth for the infrastructure in place

Great music scenes pre-Covid although I think Austin's choices are a bit more diverse

Real estate prices increasing greatly as well as rental costs

Austin is certainly more liberal than any other TX metro area. Not sure about Nashville

Austin is one of my top five cities in the world. Has a lot going for it: great music scene, great food (Although I would put your current local higher in that regard) great golf, world class racing facility, diverse geography (for Texas), proximity to the other major cities, etc... Always something to do.

Down side is it’s growing so fast the infrastructure is struggling to keep pace. Traffic can be annoying, but it’s not anywhere near the pain level of LA, Chicago, or Houston. Weather wise...it’s Texas so it can be a little warm, but the relative humidity, makes it tolerable. It is the outlier culturally from the rest of the state, but I wouldn’t call it polarizing.
Man Austin's traffic is WAYYYY worse than Houston!!

I’m gonna throw a curve ball for you to check out - Colorado’s Western Slope region. Grand Junction / Montrose area. High desert climate. Great drinking water. Colorado River runs thru town. 2 hours to Vail with no Denver traffic. 2 hours to Telluride. 90 minutes to Moab. No traffic. Airport with daily commercial flights to PHX, DEN, HOU, etc., Wineries. Breweries. Unparalleled access to wilderness, hunting, fishing, cycling, canyons, mountains, etc., Three hospitals. It’s a little chilly in winter but warmer desert is just a few hours drive.

Don’t tell anyone else. 😜

I’m gonna throw a curve ball for you to check out - Colorado’s Western Slope region. Grand Junction / Montrose area. High desert climate. Great drinking water. Colorado River runs thru town. 2 hours to Vail with no Denver traffic. 2 hours to Telluride. 90 minutes to Moab. No traffic. Airport with daily commercial flights to PHX, DEN, HOU, etc., Wineries. Breweries. Unparalleled access to wilderness, hunting, fishing, cycling, canyons, mountains, etc., Three hospitals. It’s a little chilly in winter but warmer desert is just a few hours drive.

Don’t tell anyone else. 😜
CO taxes, COL, home prices aren't as advantageous as the other places I'm looking right now. Beautiful state, though.

[/QUOTE]

All wine is not created equal. The recent growth of viticulture in northern regions has more to do with innovation and the breeding of varietals that can survive the cold winters than it does with climate change. Here’s a brief history.

https://winesvinesanalytics.com/features/article/115798/Northern-Grapes-Project-Sees-Results
[/QUOTE]

Wine's been cultivated in Northern France and the German Rhineland for centuries. Champagne comes from that part of France.

I hear Austin suffers from the same problem as California, as in California politics. Most Texans I hear online seem to say its best to avoid. This is what I hear, so I can't verify this.

Man Austin's traffic is WAYYYY worse than Houston!!

I can only relate my experience.

I can only think of one time I got through Houston unscathed, and that was very early in the morning. During business hours or either rush..its been an hour and a half write off every single time. Granted you live there, whereas I only pass through on business...so maybe I’ve just been consistently unlucky...or maybe it’s just that there’s four times as many people.

Austin certainly has its issues, particularly around the festivals and events...but any other time I’ve been able to go cross town in 30 minutes give or take...and the delays are because construction to alleviate the issue..so it should get better soon. DFW was bad for a couple of years while they fixed the problem...but now it’s quite reasonable.

The pros of Austin far outweigh the negative of traffic (IMO) that you would experience in any major metro area. No worse than were the OP is coming from.

Back
Top Bottom