Tell me about Mesa Mark II amps

Thenewexhibit

Experienced
I know Berton Averre from The Knack used a Mark II for the solo of My Sharona.

How does that differ from the IIC+ model in the Fractal? Is it drastically different, or does it share similarities? Or is the IIC+ a metal amp? I don’t know much about these.

My Sharona was released in 1979, so he would have been using an original Mark II (later called IIA). The A had a very similar topology to the IIC+ with cascaded gain stages, but was voiced a little bit differently and had less gain. The IIC+ is more aggressive, tighter sounding, and has more midrange bite. The clean channel on both is very similar to a blackface Fender clean. Boogie's Simul-Class power amp section was released with the IIB version, so the A would have been straight class AB at either 60 or 100 watts. The Fractal IIC+ model includes the later 90 watt Simul-Class power amp design. Spring reverb and the 5 band graphic EQ were options on the A as well.

My Sharona was released in 1979, so he would have been using an original Mark II (later called IIA). The A had a very similar topology to the IIC+ with cascaded gain stages, but was voiced a little bit differently and had less gain. The IIC+ is more aggressive, tighter sounding, and has more midrange bite. The clean channel on both is very similar to a blackface Fender clean. Boogie's Simul-Class power amp section was released with the IIB version, so the A would have been straight class AB at either 60 or 100 watts. The Fractal IIC+ model includes the later 90 watt Simul-Class power amp design. Spring reverb and the 5 band graphic EQ were options on the A as well.
Got ya! Thanks for the reply! How do the controls work as far as Gain and Overdrive? This amp also had a master volume as well? Just curious what the first two do and how they interact with each other?

Gain and Overdrive are the two level controls for the cascaded preamp gain stages. Gain is after the input tube stage and tone stack, just like Volume on a blackface Fender. Overdrive is later in the chain in the lead channel gain stages. You get different textures of breakup depending on how you set the two controls relative to each other. Generally you get a tighter sound with Overdrive set higher than Gain. The Master Volume is located at the very end of the preamp section and is more of a clean volume control for the whole amp. Boogies are mostly about preamp gain, so the Master Volume is typically kept fairly low (4-6 is usually the sweet spot) to keep the power amp section fairly clean for better focus and clarity.

Not sure if the IIB had Simul-Class available. I bought mine new in 1981 and the option was 60/100 watt.
I still have it. A friends IIC+has the Simul-Class option. My C+ is a 60W.

big mesa fan here, I have two 100W C+ amps and a Mark IV that I've kept and won't ever part with.

I think the Fractal emulations are very good, but in my experience playing with these amps and owning a bunch over the last 20 years is that they all kind of play and sound slightly different from one another at the same settings. I would bet the one they used to faithfully create the patches is extremely accurate to that amp, but that it's just slightly different sounding than mine are if that makes sense.

I love and use the C+ amp in my Fractal gear all the time, it's certainly 10000x easier to deal with, but my settings on the Fractal are different than the knobs on my amp sound. I am very used to that with the real amps too, so I just kind of naturally created my own preset that sounds like mine do. I'm still looking for the right IR for it though to sound like the combo and/or thiele cabs do (pairing with a mesa 4x12 sounds great, but I almost always use a single 1x12 speaker with it when playing with real amplifiers). If anyone has a recipe there I'd love to hear it.

I just picked up a Synergy IICP Module (designed by Steve Fryette).
Messing around with it now to find the best combination of power amp
and cab. Curious to see how it stacks up against the real thing..

Gain and Overdrive are the two level controls for the cascaded preamp gain stages. Gain is after the input tube stage and tone stack, just like Volume on a blackface Fender. Overdrive is later in the chain in the lead channel gain stages. You get different textures of breakup depending on how you set the two controls relative to each other. Generally you get a tighter sound with Overdrive set higher than Gain. The Master Volume is located at the very end of the preamp section and is more of a clean volume control for the whole amp. Boogies are mostly about preamp gain, so the Master Volume is typically kept fairly low (4-6 is usually the sweet spot) to keep the power amp section fairly clean for better focus and clarity.
Cool! Thank you for the info on this!

Another key point about these amps: The BMT EQ controls are before the gain. Similar to an EQ pedal (or an overdirve with the drive turned all the way down) in front of the amp. Turning up treble also increases gain. Turning up bass can make a lot gain sound fuller, or a high gain sound flubby. Turning down bass can make a low gain sound tin, but a high gain sound tight. Mids doesn't have as large of an affect.

That's why they have the 5-Band Graphic EQ, which you shouldn't neglect on the amp Output EQ page. That is potitioned after the preamp and before the poweramp, like the BMT controls are on most marshall/high gain amps. That's your real tone shaping control, after you've tuned the texture and feel of the distortion with the BMT.

Not sure if the IIB had Simul-Class available. I bought mine new in 1981 and the option was 60/100 watt.
I still have it. A friends IIC+has the Simul-Class option. My C+ is a 60W.
I think you're correct. I had a IIB 50/100 and I'm pretty sure the Simul-Class arrived with the C; Mesa had an option back then that we could have our amp rewired to upgrade it, and I considered doing it but I liked the sound of the IIB.

What about the Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp, is it more a IIC+ or Mark IV?

"I already learnd, that the "USA IIC+ (MESA/Boogie Mark IIC+)" together with the Mesa EQ seams to work at best because of the near year of manufacturing of both amp types. Mark IIC+ from Jan. 1984, Studio Preamp from Aug. 1988, Mark IV from May 1990 (too late).
https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/218914817-When-was-my-amp-made-
https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/...st#USA_IIC.2B_.28MESA.2FBoogie_Mark_IIC.2B.29"

Thread 'Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp and Stereo Simul 295 Stereo: AC/DC Angus Young Live at Donington 1991 sound with AXE FX'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...e-at-donington-1991-sound-with-axe-fx.199104/

I had the Studio Preamp, but alas, didn't know how to use it at the time.
I was a newbie at everything. I believe it was more in IIC+ territory.
Didn't have a tube power amp to use it with, so it kind of collected dust.
Ended up selling or trading it for something I can't remember. You can find
them used, but the prices are pretty high. That's why I went with the Synergy IICP.

I think you're correct. I had a IIB 50/100 and I'm pretty sure the Simul-Class arrived with the C; Mesa had an option back then that we could have our amp rewired to upgrade it, and I considered doing it but I liked the sound of the IIB.
I concur. I ordered my MarkII-C in the Summer of 1983, and I believe Simul-Class was an option, but as I’d already added the 5-band EQ and the 12” EV speaker upgrades, my credit card made me stick with the standard 60-Watt power option. I too toyed with the idea of sending my chassis in to have Mike B. upgrade my (as they called it at one point) C- to a C+. I always loved the distortion from my Mesa, and my buddy who bought his about 6 months after me, had the C+. He didn’t choose to get the EV speaker, but his Mesa always sounded kinda smoother than mine. I wasn’t sure I’d be happy with the change, so mine is still hanging around here as a C-. Great tone, but heavy damn beast! We used to joke “Light weight and durable”, my ass! Lol

I just picked up a Synergy IICP Module (designed by Steve Fryette).
Messing around with it now to find the best combination of power amp
and cab. Curious to see how it stacks up against the real thing..
I had that for a while with the Synergy power amp as well. I think it gets in the ballpark of a IIC+, but I didn't have both at the same time to A/B them. Biggest problem I had with the Synergy is that it was extremely hard to get in the sweet spot due to the tiny EQ.

Since selling it I found that a friend in my hometown that plays acoustic guitar and harp had inherited a 2C+ from his brother back in 1996 and has only played it a few times since then. I made him an offer and he accepted. Had a Mesa authorized tech check it out and he said it was in great condition and didn't even need caps replaced. It's the Simulclass model and I absolutely love the amp. So much that I picked up a JP2C for gigging and keep the 2C+ for recording at home. JP2C is perfect for covering most of the tones I need at a gig.

Going from memory of the Synergy, I think they are similar, but the Boogie just has something extra nice to it. Kind of wish I still had the Synergy just to compare, but I'm glad I sold it since the graphic is so fidgety to dial in.

I had a IIB and really just did not like that thing at all. I didnt get the hype. Guess things didnt get brutal until the IIC+
I had a IIb combo in the late 80s. I loved the cleans and leads, and with a 4x12 the rhythm crunch was decent but not as tight and devastating as I wanted. Passable for the time and I was often complimented on my tone when playing the clubs in Southern Cal.

I recently acquired IIC+ head with the matching EV 1x12 and it really is a beast. Sounds great on all counts either with the matching cab or thru my Mather 4x12 with V30 and T75 mix. I can't believe I was lucky enough to find it in this small town!

Back
Top Bottom