Telecaster pickup help

nathan_393

Inspired
Hey folks!

I've made a couple posts about Telecasters in the past, and recently even kvetched enough about my Ultra Luxe that I put it up for sale.

I've gotten some interesting offers, but after spending more time sitting on it, I just... I've changed my mind. I was apprehensive about modding the guitar before, because it felt silly to mod something like the Ultra Luxe, but screw it. I'm going to order a new ashtray style bridge with traditional compensated titanium saddles.

I also need new pickups. I hate the noiseless pickups in this thing. That's what I need help with.

Here's the current plan:
  • I'd like pickups in that do the aggressive Telecaster thing that Dan's red Tele do on That Pedal Show. The closest I've personally played are the Custom Shop Texas Specials (which are not the same as the standard Texas Specials). My fear with them is that they might go too far, though, into the high-output territory. I've also read that the Vintage Originals 64 pickups are close, but they sound too Strat-like to me (here's an example). If somebody else has other thoughts, I'm all ears.
  • I would also like to pick up a MiM butterscotch Player series Tele. There's a nice one at our local Long & McQuade. Very resonant, as well assembled as any Custom Shop I've ever played (not a joke; I have directly compared it, and I am also very surprised). I'd like to give this a more vintage tone. I plan on getting another ashtray bridge with compensated brass saddles for this one (not titanium). I was thinking about either a Nocaster set, or the Nocaster bridge/Twisted Tele neck setup. Unfortunately, Fender doesn't sell individual versions of those pickups. I know Monty's makes the Danish Pete clones, but I've heard those aren't quite as good as the Fenders. Does anybody have any experiences to share about these?

Thanks all!

I'd like pickups in that do the aggressive Telecaster thing that Dan's red Tele do on That Pedal Show. The closest I've personally played are the Custom Shop Texas Specials (which are not the same as the standard Texas Specials). My fear with them is that they might go too far, though, into the high-output territory. I've also read that the Vintage Originals 64 pickups are close, but they sound too Strat-like to me (here's an example). If somebody else has other thoughts, I'm all ears.
My all-time favorite telecaster pickups are Lollar Special T. Compared to a "vintage" style tele pickup, they're slightly higher output and more importantly they have a smoother/darker high end, which basically just makes them useable across the whole range of the tone knob while still sounding unmistakably like a telecaster. Very easy to work with, no spiky harsh high end. Here's a song playthrough I did awhile back with them into the Fractal 5F8 Tweed Twin.

For the bridge and saddles I like Gotoh's cut away bridge and compensated saddle design which has "channels" for each string so they can't move laterally across the saddle unlike Wilkinson's compensated saddles.

Last edited:
1. Hell yeah
2. Joe barden bridge
3. Vineham pickups (Canadian) - he’ll do custom winds if required.

My R9 didnt come with custombuckers so Ive technically modified it it a few times ;)

Yes, Lollar Special T Pickups are my Tele favourites, too.
Very beautiful sounding pickups IMO.

Two years ago I converted a (a little boring sounding) D‘Angelico Premier Bedford into a Nashville Guitar. I chose the sky blue color, because only this version has a mahogany body.
The pickups are:
  • Lollar Special T for Neck
  • Lollar Special S for Middle
  • Lollar Firebird for Bridge (splitable by Poti push-pull switch)
The three Pickups work VERY well together.

I use a Freeway 5B5 switch, so in total I have 14 (!!!) sounds on the guitar.
It‘s my beloved goto-guitar since.

Lollar T sounds like it's worth checking out. I'm going to check out Vineham too and see what they're up to (maybe they can make recommendations). Thanks folks! Keep them coming.

I've also been reminded that the Broadcaster pickups are good. I like the idea of sticking with Fender-branded pickups, but I think that's my OCD talking.

The SD Jerry Donahue bridge pickup is just what you describe. Matched with SD’s Alnico II Pro pickup in the neck position, it’s a hard combo to beat.

The Nocaster/Twisted Tele combination is exactly what I'm going to do in a thinline tele. Yes, the Twisted Tele will need to be purchased 'used', but I haven't had any issues doing so on R'verb and theBay. I always make sure the seller has a return policy. The other recent option is the

As far as noiseless, I've been impressed with the High Output Fralin Tele Split-Blades, A/B'd them with the Nocasters and the bridge pickup is extremely close in tone and feel. I've also heard his Blues wind Tele neck pickup is very similar to the Twisted Tele. Lindy Fralin, at least a couple of years ago, was very approachable, loves to talk gear and will work with you to craft the pickup to what you're looking for.

I'll second the Broadcaster-era for a slightly hotter Tele. I haven't tried these, but the Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocasters and the Fender Shaw Hot 50's look interesting to me.

After more than a few sets in my AVRI '52 Tele, I put Bare Knuckle Flat 50s in and never looked back.

Appreciate all the input everybody! Doing lots of research now.

For the Ultra Luxe, I might consider swapping out the saddles and the bridge too after I do a pickup swap. Looking for a good ashtray bridge and nice compensated saddles. It's got an ash body. Would titanium saddles be too much, or should I consider brass?

It really come down to personal preference. For me, I prefer brass saddles on my Tele. They seem to add a certain zing while still being a full and rounded tone. I like steel saddles, too, but they are a bit too strident for me (which would vary with the pickups and wood). I've never tried titanium on a Tele, but mostly because I think they would take it even more in the direction that steel does. YMMV, of course, and saddle are easy enough to change and aren't a huge expense. If you're so inclined, give them all a shot.

For the Ultra Luxe, I might consider swapping out the saddles and the bridge too after I do a pickup swap. Looking for a good ashtray bridge and nice compensated saddles. It's got an ash body. Would titanium saddles be too much, or should I consider brass?

For me - it’s a “No” to the TI

IMO Ti is often hyped as a wonder substance to folks who don’t grok materials science well.
Acoustically, I rarely if ever see a benefit from Ti

@Andy Eagle ?

I think I'm interested in the titanium because of Dan from TPS. His saddles are titanium and his sound is exactly the mojo I want from my Ultra Luxe. I'm going to ask Vineham about pickup choices for it, because the Custom Shop Texas Specials are close, but perhaps slightly too compressed. I think I hear a bit more air between the notes on Dan's Tele, so to say.

Hey folks!

I've made a couple posts about Telecasters in the past, and recently even kvetched enough about my Ultra Luxe that I put it up for sale.

I've gotten some interesting offers, but after spending more time sitting on it, I just... I've changed my mind. I was apprehensive about modding the guitar before, because it felt silly to mod something like the Ultra Luxe, but screw it. I'm going to order a new ashtray style bridge with traditional compensated titanium saddles.

I also need new pickups. I hate the noiseless pickups in this thing. That's what I need help with.

Here's the current plan:
  • I'd like pickups in that do the aggressive Telecaster thing that Dan's red Tele do on That Pedal Show. The closest I've personally played are the Custom Shop Texas Specials (which are not the same as the standard Texas Specials). My fear with them is that they might go too far, though, into the high-output territory. I've also read that the Vintage Originals 64 pickups are close, but they sound too Strat-like to me (here's an example). If somebody else has other thoughts, I'm all ears.
  • I would also like to pick up a MiM butterscotch Player series Tele. There's a nice one at our local Long & McQuade. Very resonant, as well assembled as any Custom Shop I've ever played (not a joke; I have directly compared it, and I am also very surprised). I'd like to give this a more vintage tone. I plan on getting another ashtray bridge with compensated brass saddles for this one (not titanium). I was thinking about either a Nocaster set, or the Nocaster bridge/Twisted Tele neck setup. Unfortunately, Fender doesn't sell individual versions of those pickups. I know Monty's makes the Danish Pete clones, but I've heard those aren't quite as good as the Fenders. Does anybody have any experiences to share about these?

Thanks all!

I like Fralin's Split Blade Tele High Output (slightly hotter) and Fralin's Split Steel Pole 5% underwound for the bridge spot. Lawrence/Wilde's L202TN is nice at the neck for a more rounded neck pickup tone, and Fralin's Vintage Split Blade Tele neck is great for a bright, clear, smooth neck pickup tone.

Having said that, the Dawgtown 5/2 set is hard to beat, with amazing, great tones, but they "don't know the words" - IOW, they hum. I am currently looking at finding a dummy coil to use with them when just one pickup is on, since they are RW/RP....

Lollar T sounds like it's worth checking out. I'm going to check out Vineham too and see what they're up to (maybe they can make recommendations). Thanks folks! Keep them coming.

I've also been reminded that the Broadcaster pickups are good. I like the idea of sticking with Fender-branded pickups, but I think that's my OCD talking.

I have a set of Fender singles here that were good, but hum, and got replaced with the Split Steel Pole brisge and Split Rail neck mentioned earlier....

Rutters makes nice bridges. I have a few, and upgraded the Barden bridge on my VZ Custom Tele with Rutters saddles. His knobs and switch tips are great, too....

I like Fralin's Split Blade Tele High Output (slightly hotter) and Fralin's Split Steel Pole 5% underwound for the bridge spot. Lawrence/Wilde's L202TN is nice at the neck for a more rounded neck pickup tone, and Fralin's Vintage Split Blade Tele neck is great for a bright, clear, smooth neck pickup tone.

Having said that, the Dawgtown 5/2 set is hard to beat, with amazing, great tones, but they "don't know the words" - IOW, they hum. I am currently looking at finding a dummy coil to use with them when just one pickup is on, since they are RW/RP....
Wonder how that sounds compared to the “ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails single coil-sized humbucker “ in the Mike Stern Yamaha I have. I’ve got a nice tele and love the stock neck pickup but that humbucker on the Mike Stern model is great!

Back
Top Bottom