Tele high gain

I've got a set of Fender SCN Tele pickups in my Tele and have no problem getting high gain rock sounds with it. While the SCNs aren't considered "vintage" pickups, they get a clean Tele tone that I am very happy with and they can rock as well as my humbucker guitars. The same can be said for the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 54 Pro and Area 67s in my Strat. Those pickups are voiced to sound vintage and they rock hard.

For what it's worth, I run a Tube Screamer in front of the Triaxis model. Those 2 give me all the gain I need. After that, I use the 3 band EQ in the Drive block to boost the midrange ever so lightly (3 db at 638 Hz) to give the single coils a fatter humbucker-ish tone.

I was born and raise on humbuckers so single coils are not normally my thing for high gain sounds but using the pickups I listed with those Axe-FX models and settings works for me.

The whole trick for me with high gain and single-coils has always (obviously) been controlling the "hum". I hate overusing noise-gates (or even using them at all). So, it's tricky. Especially in situations where you want higher gain, but also need to roll back the guitar volume knob at different times. I tend to stick with humbuckers for high gain stuff when I can and avoid it altogether.

browlett said:
The whole trick for me with high gain and single-coils has always (obviously) been controlling the "hum".
I agree which is why I don't bother with plain ol' single coils. ;) If I have single coils in a guitars, they need to be hum-canceling one way or another.

+1 I have the SCn's in my UISA Deluxe Strat-Nice High sounds (but, for the most part I don't want them anyway) But they are there if needed! My 89 Strat has Lindy Fralins, they sound great, but the hum is there.

Back
Top Bottom