Technically could you RTA speaker cabs?

pull75

Inspired
Technically couldn't someone RTA their cabs, wedges etc. and compare it to the direct signal of the fractal and EQ their Cab/wedges accordingly? For example I'm running 2 10" wedges powered by a crown amplifier in stereo. Could I tune those wedges and power amp with a RTA mic and program and achieve a flat true response with programming patches? Am I overthinking it? I'm just trying to get the most consistent direct patches possible.

Technically couldn't someone RTA their cabs, wedges etc. and compare it to the direct signal of the fractal and EQ their Cab/wedges accordingly? For example I'm running 2 10" wedges powered by a crown amplifier in stereo. Could I tune those wedges and power amp with a RTA mic and program and achieve a flat true response with programming patches? Am I overthinking it? I'm just trying to get the most consistent direct patches possible.
I think this topic was discussed here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/out-there-idea-cab-assimilation.85806/#post-1039918

I don't think he is asking to rta a guitar cab. I think he's asking about flattening an frfr.
People have done this and gotten decent results.
A while back, Merlin did this for the fbt verve 12ma wedge, and saved it as a IR file.
I loaded it in my axe and used it to flatten my verve. It improved the verve for sure.
This doesn't mean you can make any speaker sound 'good', buy you can get it closer to flat.

Side note, I suggested back then, and still think it's a great business idea.
If someone put some real effort into creating great flattening IR's, they could sell them and make a lot of people happy.
I would gladly pay $10 to get my speaker sounding as good as it can.
(Well, I don't need to now because I own flat monitors....but you get the point)

I did RTA my Seismic 15" coaxial cab. I found that my cab has a fairly wide peak centered around bandpass (1.6K) for the high frequency driver. I used a PEQ block to even out the response, and that PEQ is in the signal chain "post" cab block. The result is a closer emulation of a traditional guitar cab, and less feedback when I switch out my humbucker to single coil. I only use this with the band on a live situation. If I were recording, I would not use the PEQ block in my presets.

I did RTA my Seismic 15" coaxial cab. I found that my cab has a fairly wide peak centered around bandpass (1.6K) for the high frequency driver. I used a PEQ block to even out the response, and that PEQ is in the signal chain "post" cab block. The result is a closer emulation of a traditional guitar cab, and less feedback when I switch out my humbucker to single coil. I only use this with the band on a live situation. If I were recording, I would not use the PEQ block in my presets.
Right on.
The idea would be to only insert the 'corrective eq' or 'corrective IR' in the chain that goes to your wedge.
Similar to just eq'ing a monitor on stage with an eq rack....but doing it with some measurement tools (and applying in the Axe instead of an external Eq product).

I love the idea of this.....I see no reason why folks don't try to create a library of corrective IR's or Eq's to flatten monitors.
Some company does something similar to this for headphones. There is a market for this (IMO).
I wish I wasn't so lazy....haha.

Right on.
The idea would be to only insert the 'corrective eq' or 'corrective IR' in the chain that goes to your wedge.
Similar to just eq'ing a monitor on stage with an eq rack....but doing it with some measurement tools (and applying in the Axe instead of an external Eq product).

I love the idea of this.....I see no reason why folks don't try to create a library of corrective IR's or Eq's to flatten monitors.
Some company does something similar to this for headphones. There is a market for this (IMO).
I wish I wasn't so lazy....haha.
I knew I wasn't crazy. They tune cabs all the time in rooms with EQs

My ears are toast, so I really needed Smaart to tell me where the hump was at. Got aggravated with the dang squealing and the negative "coupling" effects when I go to single coil. I just placed the PEQ in the grid, so FOH gets the same. FOH usually knocks me down around 2k wherever I play anyway.

Back
Top Bottom