TC Helicon voicelive2?

Old thread, but I came across it -

I use the VoiceLive2 pedal for acoustic gigs and the VoiceLive Rack for electric, with the Axe FX II.

On electric gigs, I use the MFC for the Axe, and a Rocktron Midi Mate set to controller mode and with 1 expression pedal to control the VoiceLive Rack. It ends up being a ton of stage space for my pedals, but I use them both quite a bit, so I truly don't mind.

I love both products, and like others have said, use the effects sparingly. In both cases for me, I use a y cable out of my mic, one side going straight to the board, one side going into the VoiceLive and then stereo into the board. so - My Axe uses one stereo line on the mixer, the VoiceLive uses another, and my 'dry' mic uses one XLR/mono line. it uses up 3 strips on our board, and it sounds amazing....everyone always comments.

TC Helicon also just announced a VoiceLive 3 pedal will be released at NAMM, as soon as it's available, i'll sell my VoiceLive 2 pedal and a few other items to buy it.

Makes for a great sound......

Last edited:
Excellent thread and input!
I imagine you can have a few of its presets, for unique vocals on particular songs. Just like special guitar tones....add the 2 together ~ and magic ~ ?

Would these pedals help an out of tune singer (me) practice to become a better singer? Like i'd record the performance(in the privacy of my home), see how much the autotune corrected me, and try to get it to be less and less correction as i work on singing? I'm trying to find a way to become a better singer, and i've always thought that live pitch correction like this could show me where i'm going wrong, and help me focus on getting better?

Thoughts?
Hi Wake911, I use a TC Helicon Harmonizer GXT pedal (for 2 or 3 part harmony and/or vocal doubling, plus reverb and echo effects) that...I... control live, not the engineer.
It is 1/3 the price of a VoiceLive 2, usually under $200 on ebay. I find it helps me as a singer as the autotune is ONLY on the harmonies sampled off my guitar.
Since I know MY ORIGINAL VOICE is the one that is off, I find myself correcting my vocal pitch very quickly, usually a minute or 2 of practice. Kind of like singing harmony with the other band members warm-up does the same thing (but I am the only singer).
So if I haven't rehearsed for a couple of weeks OR just feeling out of it, for whatever reason, I just do this and in minutes I am back in the pocket, no thinking involved. LOL
One last thing to remember. Good tracking of the pedal DEPENDS on your voice being consistently even. If the tracking is not right/good, it is you, not the machine. Adjust your singing volume and/or breathing till the harmonies are consistent.

IF YOU THINK YOU STINK, IF YOU PLAY YOU'RE OK, IF YOU BURN YOU EARN! Stop thinking!:encouragement:

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the 3. I've been using a 2 for a while now.
I see they added an expression pedal jack. Thats good news as I use a momentary squish pedal to engage harmonies tracked to my guitar and kind of jury rigged mine to work with the pedal jack is flakey when switching presets.. and more natural sounding harmonies are always welcome.
The rest of the crap other than vocal effects they have in there though I dont and would probably never use.
I'm still on early firmware on mine as it works just great and they seem to break stuff with new firmware and never added anything I needed with later releases.

I,ve been using Voicelive for a few years now in a cover band. It has it's place for sure, as a back up singer I mainly use it to hit harmonies that are to high for my range in songs like "Reelin in the years" and the female part in "Go Your Own way. I also use it in a couple of other songs with a hint of a 3rd harmony. It's a capable box and can be programed to to custom harmonies which is great. Another cool feature for me is the midi, I run all songs with their own patches in the Axe FX so the presets change with the songs. I don't like it so much for a lead vocal tool as it sounds a little cheesy but as a back up tool it's easier to blend it into the mix.

Thanks for the heads up on the 3. I've been using a 2 for a while now.
I see they added an expression pedal jack. Thats good news as I use a momentary squish pedal to engage harmonies tracked to my guitar and kind of jury rigged mine to work with the pedal jack is flakey when switching presets.. and more natural sounding harmonies are always welcome.
The rest of the crap other than vocal effects they have in there though I dont and would probably never use.
I'm still on early firmware on mine as it works just great and they seem to break stuff with new firmware and never added anything I needed with later releases.

The 2 Actually has an expression pedal jack as well, i've been using mine that way for a long time - I leave the Harmony button engaged all the time and use the expression pedal to ease harmonies in and out using the pedal, it has a much more human feel that way I find....

I,ve been using Voicelive for a few years now in a cover band. It has it's place for sure, as a back up singer I mainly use it to hit harmonies that are to high for my range in songs like "Reelin in the years" and the female part in "Go Your Own way. I also use it in a couple of other songs with a hint of a 3rd harmony. It's a capable box and can be programed to to custom harmonies which is great. Another cool feature for me is the midi, I run all songs with their own patches in the Axe FX so the presets change with the songs. I don't like it so much for a lead vocal tool as it sounds a little cheesy but as a back up tool it's easier to blend it into the mix.

Supersonic - i'd be interested to hear how you have it rigged up with your AxeFx - i've been thinking of doing the same thing, setting up certain songs ( mainly ones that need a particular vocal effect to them) and somehow linking the two together... I find that most songs don't need much other than some delay or reverb, and generic harmonies on the chorus, but for certain songs, I utilize the crazy effects for that particular song only - some Pink Floyd tunes, one Split Enz Tune, and also 'go your own way' by Fleetwood Mac.

I also wish TC had a forum as good as Fractal does here.......

The 2 Actually has an expression pedal jack as well, i've been using mine that way for a long time - I leave the Harmony button engaged all the time and use the expression pedal to ease harmonies in and out using the pedal, it has a much more human feel that way I find....
Yes the pedal jack is on the 2 but it looks like they added an expression jack on the 3. (documentation doesnt say much about it)So thinking they might have listened to my gripes on the forum to fix it. I dont use a volume pedal but a momentary, same as you leave harmony button engaged and press the momentary when i want harmonys. but if i switch presets it leaves the harmony on. and i have to hit the buttons a few times to make it behave. ive tried a volume pedal, but prefer the quickness of a momentary. not a huge deal as i mainly only use one preset, a 3rd above my vocal

Last edited:
Yes the pedal jack is on the 2 but they added an expression jack on the 3. So thinking they might have listened to my gripes on the forum to fix it. I dont use a volume pedal but a momentary, same as you leave harmony button engaged and press the momentary when i want harmonys. but if i switch presets it leaves the harmony on. and i have to hit the buttons a few times to make it behave. ive tried a volume pedal, but prefer the quickness of a momentary. not a huge deal as i mainly only use one preset, a 3rd above my vocal

Ah yes, you're right - in the 3 there is now an expression pedal AND a footswitch pedal jack.....when you said "they added an expression pedal jack" I guess you meant they added a 'footswitch' pedal jack, along with the expression pedal!

:)

Supersonic - i'd be interested to hear how you have it rigged up with your AxeFx - i've been thinking of doing the same thing, setting up certain songs ( mainly ones that need a particular vocal effect to them) and somehow linking the two together... I find that most songs don't need much other than some delay or reverb, and generic harmonies on the chorus, but for certain songs, I utilize the crazy effects for that particular song only - some Pink Floyd tunes, one Split Enz Tune, and also 'go your own way' by Fleetwood Mac.

I also wish TC had a forum as good as Fractal does here.......
I haven't figured it out properly yet but what I've done is assign each song to a patch in the Axe then use scenes within the patch. The Voicelive connects from midi out of the Axe to midi in on the Voicelive. Lets say a given patch is # 24 on the Axe, whichever patch comes up ont he Voicelive I edit to how I want it (haven't worked out how to assign to the voicelive patch of choice yet). I mostly run the Voice live in bypass , when a song needs a harmony part I hit bypass and the pre programed FX/harmony is there ready to go.

so - I bought the Voicelive 3 and there are 2 jacks, one for 'footswitch' and one for expression pedal, but they can both be configured for an expression pedal - so this is my new backup rig for the Axe FX. I have one expression pedal linked to the harmonies (to swell them in and out instead of just hitting the button) and the other to guitar volume. it's a great unit, and the best feature on it so far is the talkbox - i'm now doing Frampton all day long........

it's actually quite a smart pedal - it's like 3 pedals in one - a looper, a guitar effects pedal and a vocal effects/harmonizer pedal. Loving it so far.......

so - I bought the Voicelive 3 and there are 2 jacks, one for 'footswitch' and one for expression pedal, but they can both be configured for an expression pedal - so this is my new backup rig for the Axe FX. I have one expression pedal linked to the harmonies (to swell them in and out instead of just hitting the button) and the other to guitar volume. it's a great unit, and the best feature on it so far is the talkbox - i'm now doing Frampton all day long........

it's actually quite a smart pedal - it's like 3 pedals in one - a looper, a guitar effects pedal and a vocal effects/harmonizer pedal. Loving it so far.......
Interesting! Something to consider for gigging...thx for sharing that.
Oh, any sound clips or vids you could share of your handywork ? ?

Couple of questions for you VL 2 users.
Any of you guys run into problems with the sound guys at bars when using this?
How do you guys run your guitars with it? Do you just run it into VL2 and then out into the axe?
Just don't want to make a hassle for the bars. Most sound guys don't pay enough attention to add delay in though.
I use a Line 6 wireless G-50 with dual outputs.
One goes to the TC, the other goes to the axe. This gives you the option of picking the song key manually OR triggering it with your guitar on the fly. Then 2 stereo outputs to the PA.
The BIGGEST PROBLEM If you are at all clumsy with your feet on stage is, it is so easy to accidentally unplug the small power supply input plug. Don't know if the V3 has the same design issue. Simple gaph taping the cable to the bottom of the unit fix, will work.

The last lead singer I worked with, who had the V2, didn't listen when I mentioned the gaph tape fix before the show (he did it in rehearsal twice). He did it 3 times (very loud pops)in one 45 minute show,LOL.:roll

Back
Top Bottom