Tap tempo

So I'm trying out the Helix to see if it's going to work for me and if not the plan is to pick up an AX8 instead. While playing with the tap tempo on the Helix I noticed if I play and tap in the tempo at the same time it creates this really weird warble type effect that I really don't want to happen. I posted a clip in the Helix thread on TGP comparing it to my Timeline which doesn't do that. The Helix starts at 33 seconds.

My question is will the AX8 respond the same as the Helix does in this clip if I play and use the tap tempo at the same time?

So I'm trying out the Helix to see if it's going to work for me and if not the plan is to pick up an AX8 instead. While playing with the tap tempo on the Helix I noticed if I play and tap in the tempo at the same time it creates this really weird warble type effect that I really don't want to happen. I posted a clip in the Helix thread on TGP comparing it to my Timeline which doesn't do that. The Helix starts at 33 seconds.

My question is will the AX8 respond the same as the Helix does in this clip if I play and use the tap tempo at the same time?

Curious...what kind of delay are you using on your patch? I know a tape delay will do that as well as an analog delay. Even with the Timeline.

EDIT: After listening to your clip..that sounds a bit extreme..and the Timeline delays smoke the Helix delays. Didn't think I would hear that much of a difference.

Sounds like something is off with that model on the Helix... I can get a little warble from from Supa Puss pedal, but I would need the tempo to change dramatically and the mix to be way up to get close to what you have...

It sounds like a tape emulation and when you tap the warble you hear is the speed of the delay changing- just like turning the timing knob on a pedal. select a digital delay and it might not ramp up/down like that

As far as delay and reverb effects go, I think Fractal, strymon and eventide are in a different league than everyone else.

The Axe-Fx, FX8 and AX8 (and most other tape delay emulations) do this in the Tape Delay type. To change delay time in a tape delay you need to either move the virtual tape head or change the tape speed. Either will cause a chirp. The Digital and Analog delay types in our products do not do this. They cross-fade smoothly to the new time.

exactly

But man, that's a lot of warble for tap tempo and most tape delays etc.. did not have tap tempo. At least make it something the user can turn off.

Depends on the delay being used. My Axe Fx does exactly the same thing on Tape Delay mode; you know why? Because the real deal acts EXACTLY the same way!

Thanks for all the replies, really cool to see the owner take the time to explain it. Unfortunately to those that asked all of the delays in the Helix do this.

Thanks for all the replies, really cool to see the owner take the time to explain it. Unfortunately to those that asked all of the delays in the Helix do this.

This should not be on a digital delay emulation. Or make it something you could turn on and adjust.

On Strymon's El Capistan you can "turn it off", but all it is doing is muting the repeats as you tap in the tempo, then when you're done tapping the repeats continue in the new tempo. This, to me at least, is certainly more preferable when playing live. That still being said, my El Cap is gone to fund my Axe ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom