Bug? Tap Tempo tourettes

Philip34

Experienced
Often, I will try to tap in a specific tempo (from my drummer, I'll know that the bpm on the click is, say, 115), and I'll either hit exactly 115 bpm with my foot, or I'll get really close and bend over to get it exact with the tempo knob in the Tempo window.

Problem: sometimes, the tempo jumps to a completely different tempo, and it really throws me off, since I'm using delay or tremolo that is sync'ed to the tempo. I'm directing the band at the same time, so this is quite distracting.

I'm using FW 6.02 Q, but I intend on updating to 7.01 soon.

If updating the FW will not fix it, how can I make this stop?

No, I just tap in a certain tempo within the same preset. Either I get the exact tempo by tapping with my foot, or I can't get it right with my foot, and I adjust the knob with my hand. Often, once the tap tempo screen goes away (back to the general preset screen showing "pedals" or IA switches), the tempo will change to a completely different bpm (not a multiple of what I set, but completely off-tempo).

No, I just tap in a certain tempo within the same preset. Either I get the exact tempo by tapping with my foot, or I can't get it right with my foot, and I adjust the knob with my hand. Often, once the tap tempo screen goes away (back to the general preset screen showing "pedals" or IA switches), the tempo will change to a completely different bpm (not a multiple of what I set, but completely off-tempo).
Does it happen for BOTH situations? You only tap the tempo vs you tap and adjust the dial?

Any USB or MIDI devices plugged into your AX8 when this happens?

When it happens, it's always when I tap then adjust the dial. It may have happened once, maybe twice in a year, when just tapping.

No USB or MIDI plugged in when I'm using it live- just my guitar and 1 expression pedal for volume.

Could it be a bad switch? I understood that there's no moving parts in the foot-switches.

I'm going to switch the F1 and F2 switches, to see if it happens with another switch.

Ok, this is still happening. I'll tap-in at 80 bpm, then once the Tap Tempo screen goes away (Back to the preset page), 25-30% of the time the Tempo jumps to, say, 71 or 160 bpm- sometimes it doubles or triples the bpm, sometimes it just goes to a random bpm.

I changed the Tap Tempo button from F2 to F3, and it still happens 25-30% of the time, so it isn't the footswitch. I am running 7.01- I thought best to not update yet.

I feel that my only two options are : 1) deal with it or 2) un-sync all time-based effects.

Am I doing something to trigger this? Do I have a busted unit? I hope not, as I live in southern Brazil, and I can't even visit the U.S. until July at the soonest, possibly December.

I depend heavily on being able to sync all effects to the global tempo, so this is a drag on my live playing.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Can you post a preset that exhibits this behavior with some really exact steps to reproduce it? Like: step on this, play for one minute, step on this other thing...

I've experienced similar behaviour. IIRC, it usually involves making a few attempts to tap in a tempo, realizing I'm way off, then tapping again once to adjust the tempo manually using the knob. I always assumed my single tap followed too soon, and the AX8 figured I was still trying to tap the tempo. I'll do some tests and see if I can recreate/avoid consistently.

I believe it's happened with many presets.

Last edited:
Here's a preset where this is still happening occasionally. I don't think it's the preset but check it out for yourselves. Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• Roland JC120 ESP.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom