Tamming 4khz to 20khz harshness What are you doing High Gain amps

There are lots of ways to affect the frequency response for sure. The IR is one of the biggest choices.

I have less frustration if I find just a few parameters to tweak other than the basic controls. For me, the worst is changing too many things, I don't have good luck creating presets that way.

Then I just use my ears and try not to worry about the settings being "wrong".

Richard

There are lots of ways to affect the frequency response for sure. The IR is one of the biggest choices.

I have less frustration if I find just a few parameters to tweak other than the basic controls. For me, the worst is changing too many things, I don't have good luck creating presets that way.

Then I just use my ears and try not to worry about the settings being "wrong".

[/I]

Richard

I think thats my biggest problem the quote wrong settings. It doesnt look right so how could it be you know. I just want like everyone else here good tone. I do not wanna hear it sounded sterile or too boomy etc etc. I am not really posting for others to tell me the complete obvious fixes hence no noob in the title. I wanted to see if there were other experienced engineers and guitarist having same issues or hearing what i am hearing and how they fixed it. I did this not to copy what they are doing but to check it out learn and keep trial n error thing going. I think also I was like yea axe fx heck yea the ultra is sick so the two is going to do it all and here I am with so many dang options with no a,b,c,d answer there is no wrong way to do things cause if it is opinoin based one guy may just love the heck outa a marshall sound with screatching highs where as someone else likes a low muddy tone growling away. Each one of them hate eachothers sound and try to give them pointers on their tone all the time not realizing thats what they was shooting for. So your in a sence telling someone their amp is being used incorectly and if that is possinble and thats the fact amps would come preset non adjustable heck even amps that are adjustable someone gets a good idea one day opens it up changes a few resistors or pots and whamo got a screaming tone.

npdcoremetal: Help us help you. First, stop getting upset about your refusal to use punctuation or an enter key. As part of polite conversation on the internet, the punctuation you use adds context. It also makes it easier for everyone else to read so we can HELP YOU. It takes an extra 2 seconds to format your sentences as actual sentences instead of a mess of crap on a screen. Show some maturity even if some others aren't...

Second. We need to understand your exact usage of the Axe-Fx in order to help you. Are the presets you're using originally designed for use with power amp and cab, or were they created with FRFR in mind? Are you using a power amp and cab or are you using FRFR?

Third. Turn the tone on the TS808 drive block down from 10. That's where a TON of your highs are coming from.

npdcoremetal: Help us help you. First, stop getting upset about your refusal to use punctuation or an enter key. As part of polite conversation on the internet, the punctuation you use adds context. It also makes it easier for everyone else to read so we can HELP YOU. It takes an extra 2 seconds to format your sentences as actual sentences instead of a mess of crap on a screen. Show some maturity even if some others aren't...

Second. We need to understand your exact usage of the Axe-Fx in order to help you. Are the presets you're using originally designed for use with power amp and cab, or were they created with FRFR in mind? Are you using a power amp and cab or are you using FRFR?

Third. Turn the tone on the TS808 drive block down from 10. That's where a TON of your highs are coming from.

Look I apologizw if I ccome off pissy. I have used fractal for a while. I know what to do and not do. I do not need is the cab sim on is the pa sim on cut in the cab block. I cut the cab im using to spec. I just keep hearing no matter what I do in the high freq range this hit a cord shhhhshshhshshshshshs thats what it sounds like to me. I cut stuff and it ends up too much or not enough. I do not ask for help EVER. Unless I read everything possible, tried everything, checked how others do their stuff etc. After all that I still hesitate to ask people for help cause I do not like to ask for help. I loaded lets say mark days presets and ok they are a little over bassy for me so I pull that down and shut the delays off. Loan behold there it is shhshshshshshshhs AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! 1 Are my ears efeed 2 are people just dealing with it and not saying anything 3 Is what I am hearing suppose to be there. I ask cause with 5150-ts808-v30 and sm57 original I been messin with they can get brittle, however I do not hear the shsshshshshshs that I am hearing with the axe. I plan on using AXE FX no matter what and I tell everyone I can about it. So, I am not bashing CLiff or his unit I am just trying to fix my issue with it. I know I have seen lots of posts about fizz or whatever, but they all serve up the same thing. A bunch of suggestions that do not take care of it or just leads on and on.

Upload one of the patches you're getting the fizz with. I'll play it through my Adam A7s and Mackie HD1221s to see if I hear the same thing.

No disrespect, but this isn't about whether you like the Axe-Fx or not, and it's not about whether you're going to use the Axe-Fx or not. It's about giving the people you're asking help of the information they need to help you. Upload one of the patches. Also give us a rig rundown. You say the Axe-Fx doesn't sound like a real ts808, 5150, and V30 amp with SM57, but you haven't told us what you ARE using for power amp or speakers. THIS STILL MAKES A DIFFERENCE EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE USING THE AXE-FX.

WITHOUT YOUR ENTIRE SIGNAL CHAIN WE CANNOT HELP YOU.

WITHOUT ANSWERING OUR QUESTIONS WE CANNOT HELP YOU.

For example, I plug one of my guitars, usually a Music Man JP7, into my Axe-Fx II instrument input. The left and right XLR outputs of output 1 each go to their own QSC K12. All of the presets I use were created by me specifically for this gear. If I were to switch to a power amp and guitar cabinet those presets would sound like poop. Chances are you're using different gear than me. Because you're using different gear, there are different things you could do to fix the fuzz/hiss/noise problem you're having.

op are u refering to a harsh or brittle tone with the g and b strings it seems that the more i use the axe the more sensitive and aware of this i become its across the board on all presets and amps some more than others I have been using the fractal for almost 2 years, ultra then 2 i never noticed this with the ultra but then again im playing and tweaking the 2 a lot more than i ever did with the ultra.... (I m not complaining all of you out there who are waiting to pounce so dont start with me again.). Its the reason i was trying to dig up all the info i could on the advanced parameters.

line outs to a motu to mackie HR824s

Its just a question based on an obsevation not a slight or an attack on the ax

came across this, and just wanted to give some advice on some of the ice-picky highs - they might not be as high as you think - do a sweep with a PEQ and you're bound to find them. for eg, some of the harsh ice-picky freqs in some of my ultra patches were about 1.2-1.5khz, as well as around 3.5kz and 4.2khz. I used a peq to reduce them all. There may be more than one offensive freq band.

Just wanted to throw that out there, it might help.

No disrespect, but this isn't about whether you like the Axe-Fx or not, and it's not about whether you're going to use the Axe-Fx or not. It's about giving the people you're asking help of the information they need to help you. Upload one of the patches. Also give us a rig rundown. You say the Axe-Fx doesn't sound like a real ts808, 5150, and V30 amp with SM57, but you haven't told us what you ARE using for power amp or speakers. THIS STILL MAKES A DIFFERENCE EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE USING THE AXE-FX.

WITHOUT YOUR ENTIRE SIGNAL CHAIN WE CANNOT HELP YOU.

WITHOUT ANSWERING OUR QUESTIONS WE CANNOT HELP YOU.

For example, I plug one of my guitars, usually a Music Man JP7, into my Axe-Fx II instrument input. The left and right XLR outputs of output 1 each go to their own QSC K12. All of the presets I use were created by me specifically for this gear. If I were to switch to a power amp and guitar cabinet those presets would sound like poop. Chances are you're using different gear than me. Because you're using different gear, there are different things you could do to fix the fuzz/hiss/noise problem you're having.

First of I gave you both rig rundows twice second i am not saying i love this 5150 I borrow stuff hear n there to get a refresher so my stuff sounds full third people need to freaking chill. If I have a flipin problem with something I am ussing and come to a help forum I should get help not snide remarks about things that do not matter. Here it is agian

GATE-TS808(gain 0 Tone 7 volume 7) Amp (5150- Gain 4 Bass 4.5 mids 4.5 Treble 6.5 presemce 6.5 depth 5 master 4 EQ 63 -12 8khz -12- damp 5 ) THen Cab ( some form of V30 lets use mesa for now with sm57 lows 95 highs 5.5khz

came across this, and just wanted to give some advice on some of the ice-picky highs - they might not be as high as you think - do a sweep with a PEQ and you're bound to find them. for eg, some of the harsh ice-picky freqs in some of my ultra patches were about 1.2-1.5khz, as well as around 3.5kz and 4.2khz. I used a peq to reduce them all. There may be more than one offensive freq band.

Just wanted to throw that out there, it might help.

You are absolutly 100 percent correct thats where i started but then some icky squgler sound waves come through in a super hi range even if you do have it cut at 5.5khz Thanks though man you are one of the few doods that had good striaght forward actually good working suggestion and no shit comment. Very Much appreciatd

op are u refering to a harsh or brittle tone with the g and b strings it seems that the more i use the axe the more sensitive and aware of this i become its across the board on all presets and amps some more than others I have been using the fractal for almost 2 years, ultra then 2 i never noticed this with the ultra but then again im playing and tweaking the 2 a lot more than i ever did with the ultra.... (I m not complaining all of you out there who are waiting to pounce so dont start with me again.). Its the reason i was trying to dig up all the info i could on the advanced parameters.

line outs to a motu to mackie HR824s

Its just a question based on an obsevation not a slight or an attack on the ax

Another great friendly reply and I rarley ever ask for any help do exactly what you say look for yourself

Nah, i think you'd have gotten a lot more help if your posts weren't so dang hard to read :) I honestly had to skim thru some of it, and might have well missed details as well.
You DID post up a lot of details, but there's a lot to be said for how information is presented - a little order helps :lol

For eg, some punctuation, paragraph separation, and short diagrams etc might have helped.

For eg.

I have a problem with harshness in my rig.
It consists of an axe going to an elx112P

I have the routing like this: ---------amp-----cab---------
\fxl/---------

Well something like that....would make things a little more easy to understand man ;) Not criticizing, just saying that it might be helpful to everyone, including yourself to structure your stuff a little more ;) Also, going ape on other forumites doesn't help much either :lol Just advice - not bashing or anything, only suggestions for the future.

Nah, i think you'd have gotten a lot more help if your posts weren't so dang hard to read :) I honestly had to skim thru some of it, and might have well missed details as well.
You DID post up a lot of details, but there's a lot to be said for how information is presented - a little order helps :lol

For eg, some punctuation, paragraph separation, and short diagrams etc might have helped.

For eg.

I have a problem with harshness in my rig.
It consists of an axe going to an elx112P

I have the routing like this: ---------amp-----cab---------
\fxl/---------

Well something like that....would make things a little more easy to understand man ;) Not criticizing, just saying that it might be helpful to everyone, including yourself to structure your stuff a little more ;) Also, going ape on other forumites doesn't help much either :lol Just advice - not bashing or anything, only suggestions for the future.

I do get what your saying but its proven fact human brian can figure out the most messed up of readings. The texting era got me into that garbage cause all this shifting and this and that for a period or coma i got sick of it so got lazy. I know i gota use the garbage, but it was late I was tired from playing for ever and frusterated so I just threw a few posts up

First of I gave you both rig rundows twice second i am not saying i love this 5150 I borrow stuff hear n there to get a refresher so my stuff sounds full third people need to freaking chill. If I have a flipin problem with something I am ussing and come to a help forum I should get help not snide remarks about things that do not matter. Here it is agian

GATE-TS808(gain 0 Tone 7 volume 7) Amp (5150- Gain 4 Bass 4.5 mids 4.5 Treble 6.5 presemce 6.5 depth 5 master 4 EQ 63 -12 8khz -12- damp 5 ) THen Cab ( some form of V30 lets use mesa for now with sm57 lows 95 highs 5.5khz

OK. That's a description of the patch. Not a description of your RIG!

How are you amplifying this? You use FRFR or power amp and cab?

OK. That's a description of the patch. Not a description of your RIG!

How are you amplifying this? You use FRFR or power amp and cab?

I already stated Goin to pro tools I use blue sky and krk speakers I used a qsc for a bit hated it and currently using a pair of behringers say what you want they are super cheap and they work the best I would love to get a mackie hd 1221. In pro tools the bass isnt as wild as it is through pa. Like I said when I played the place had just got brand new mackie passive monitors too dark to say which model and they use 2 15 jbls four of those and they got 4 subs cant remeber the brand All I could hear was shhhhhshshhhhshh. However I think I may have got it. When I look at the eq curve it shows it droping at 5k pretty fast and around 90 which I figured. The issue is even when I take the cab block and cut it to 5800hz there still is something nasty. I know ur suppose to go by ears, however when I got super close to matching it I get lost. What I mean by that is once it is almost there I have tough time deciphering what is different and even more difficulty trying to keep the level at 80db. I know your suppose to dial it in at listening level but after 80db in my experience mixing it becomes impossible and your just fighting yourself. I also tried EQ match its ok not as great as I thought. I dont see why you cant get it close with the cab on then capture the curve from both and just make that ir then put another cab block after ur real cab you picked and just use the second one as an eq. Do you think that is worth a try. Thing is the only way in PT9 to copy the curve to IR is through audio suite and when you go to process it the eq curve changes for a second and screws up. That is all besides the point. I know the axe replicates very well cause i been to places and just sat with axe n an amp n played wit them anfd they was dead on. However that was before I got too smart with the axe. It is like anything else once you start learn too much it gets over complicated. I mean I used a DAS METAL patch forever in the Ultra till it got erased, but cant remeber what I did.

One thing I've learned with the Axe-FX II is you generally need to keep the presence much lower than you did on the Ultra. For the vast majority of my patches, I keep the bright switch off and the presence around 9 o'clock. Even if I'm playing through a darker guitar, I never put the presence above 12 o'clock.

One thing I've learned with the Axe-FX II is you generally need to keep the presence much lower than you did on the Ultra. For the vast majority of my patches, I keep the bright switch off and the presence around 9 o'clock. Even if I'm playing through a darker guitar, I never put the presence above 12 o'clock.

that's true now that you mention it, the ultra has a lot more top end detail

Back
Top Bottom