Talk to me about Strat type guitars.

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Background. Ive always liked Strat shapes, but not the colour :( and not 3 x SCs. Ive always been a HB man - with the exception of a SC at the neck. I did own a Sambora Strat for a while that I really liked (bar the Floyd and the star inlays) but felt happier with HBs - and at the time could only realy afford a single decent guitar. I ended up with a PRS CU22 which I love.

AS time has gone by Ive been able to expand my flock. Firstly to a PRS CE22 which I bought used after going through many guitars - and finding only another PRS would do !! The Two PRSs are now fitted with stock HFS/VBs in the CE for higher gain stuff and some BK Mules in the CU for classic stuff. Lovely.

The next addition was a pressy to myself after 6 months in Iraq (along with my AXF Standard - back in 2008). I wanted something completely different so elected for an Ash US Standard Tele. Quite liked it but hated the buzz. This is an issue with my music space and is a pain. Its noise from a SM PSU thats located next door. SCs get buzz whenever its on - in fact even the HBs on the PRSs do a little with high gain tones. It makes recording a gamble, and jamming not a pleasure gamble. I put some Kinman Broadcaster PUs in to get the original 50s vibe and cut the Buzz. It worked - I like the tones I get and it is very different from the PRSs which was the point.

At this time my playing split was around 10% Tele, 40% CE and 50% CU. 18 months ago I added a strat - it was cheap. Its a used mex made CP60s and was bought to give me the pos 2/4 tones. I already had the neck SC tones covered with the Tele - so I thought. It is different being Alder and with a Rosewood board so the neck PU was a slightly different flavour. Anyway - its been modded somewhat - which again was the point. Firslty it had a wilkinson trem fitted. Two reasons - firstly I didnt know if the stock trem was a steel block or not. From what I understand the original CPs were, then later they were changed for zinc. Being used I didnt know the age of the guitar I bought. Secondly I cant stand scre in trem arms - the wilkinson is a steel block and push in arm so Im happy. Next up was the PUs. Initially I ut in BK Irish Tours - which were nice. I had them for a year and while there fuller than the stock PUs, there is a lack of depth compared - and that god awfull BUZZ... So I sold those and by chance came across a set of Kinman Woodstocks and K9 harness while selling the BKs on EBay. I took a chance and love them. There similar to the ITs in the highs, but have a deeper tone - still full and no Buzz.

So - wheres all this got us? the Strat is getting more use than any other guitar !!! Probably 40% strat, 30% CU, 20%CE and 10% Tele. I feel that while I like the guitar it isnt really of the quality of the others - particular the PRSs. This wouldnt bother me if it was getting 20% use - but as its getting the most I feel I need to up the quality.

What I like and want to keep (either by swopping from the CP or getting something with them as standard). The PUs, The Push in steel trem, the neck !! The last is the big one I guess. I like the slim neck - its very similar to the Wide Thins on the PRSs - a touch slimmer than the Slim C on the Tele. i like the 12" radius. I can live with the 9.5 on the Tele but prefere the 10" on the PRSs.

So Options? thats where you come in. Theres soooo many Strats, and strat types I dont really know where to start. My own thoughts are:

1. Get a used US standard/delux or CS. The down sides here: The wilkinson trem is 2 point - so I would have an issue (possibly) swopping that is the new guitar doesnt have the push in trem. I think Im pretty stuck with a 9.5" radius slim C neck. As I say I can live with it but its not ideal. The Colour? Picky I know but it has to be either the sonic blue the Mex strat is, an aged off white, or something similar.

2. Fine a used Suhr S1/2. The neck profile and radius would be fine as wood the trem. It would be pot luck on the colour as I couldnt afford a new one - so whatever I could find. I would be able to cross load the electrics though.

3. Could I get just a Strat body? While I wouldnt have the CP to sell - so Id have less funds, I have the neck, loaded pickguard and trem I like. Not sure how easy getting a body that will take the 2 point trem would be - or how easy getting a "finished" body is - or how good the final quality would be (after all its not just the parts - how much difference would ne neck make in tone? how good is the neck/body fit etc).

So - what would best fit my needs? whats the cheapest was to go? whats the best way to go? any help here - advice on guitars, parts, prices is all good. Im sure there is something out there that would be a close fit - even if I need to fit the Kinmans (which isnt difficult).

I've been on this quest in the past myself.

However, it sounds like you're already really close, with a strat that addresses what you want: tone without noise, and a neck that feels okay. - when you say up the quality, what do you think is missing from what you have right now?

Play them; as many as you can find, until you play the one that tickles you just right. Strats are like that.

This one is ok, that one too, and then Bam! One hits you in the groin and takes your breath away. I've had dozens over the last )&^@ years, and still always on the lookout for my next future, former-Strat.

One thing, get as much wood in the neck as you can tolerate. I learned over time that this wood adds tone that can't be found anywhere else! :razz

I wanted a decent Strat with a bridge humbucker for a quite a while, too, but did not want a typical Feender stock one. Already had a good traditional 3-Single-coil Ash strat, made by a good luthier; this one I loaded with Klein '54 pickups (awesome, btw). I also have a Sambora Strat, but the cheap mexican mid-90's one. Its neck feels good, but the body wood (poplar) is crap, small frets, swimming-pool body routing, el cheapo Floyd Rose II and pickups too - all contributing to the lack of sustain. Heck, and it's that red finish one - freakin' ugly.

After reading a lot on forums, I got the body and neck from Warmoth (actually, from their in-stock, for cheap). I like natural or burst finishes, don 't dig those car-colored finishes, much, you know? Found a sunburst 1-piece alder body, and a gonçalo alves/pau-ferro neck - those necks don't need finish, the raw, naked wood feel is fantastic, smooth, silky, fast - you should try it. Warmoth workmanship here was flawless. The neck has a compond radius, from 10-14", Standard Thin profile; it's very, very comfortable. You can bend those strings away and the notes won't choke.

Got me some Bare Knuckle pickups - I asked Tim for a loaded pickguard: Crawler (bridge) and Mother's Milk (middle/neck). It's the most versatile guitar I have, if you know these pickups, you'll understand, they're worth every penny.

Put some locking Planet Waves auto-trim tuners, they're great for fast string changing, and stay in tune well.

As for the bridge: I wanted a good and smooth tremolo, but there was no way I would put a Floyd Rose there. Too much of a hassle for me, I'm too lazy. SO I came across the Blade Runner tremolo, it fits standard strat tremolo routed bodies, but it's way better engineered than most tremoloes. Take a look: Super-Vee | BladeRunner | Fender Stratocaster | Tremolo Bar

In the end, I think you should seriously consider getting a Warmoth body/neck, and you can go both ways: customize it or buy it from the in-stock store (gets a lot cheaper). You already have the Kinmans you like, you can use the Wilkinson (just be sure to ask for the right tremolo routing when ordering from Warmoth).

As far as the tone/playability goes, I'd say that my partscaster easily compares to high-profile guitars which can cost three or four times more. IMHO. YMMV. Oh, well.

I have been looking at the Warmoth bodies. There are 4 I like. 3 Are Alder - one vintage white, one a kind of yellow while the 3rd is alder with a flame cap in greenburst. The fourth is green/black quilt top over Ash though that may not have the sound I want.

the thing thats missing from the CP is sustain really and possibly a slight depth to the sound. Ive put it down to two things. firstly the neck - but theres not a lot I can do there as I dont like thick necks (having small hands). My PRSs have no lack of susstain so I dont thing the necks the issue there - the slight lack of depth may be. the second is the body. the CP will be 3 piece probably and not the best alder. Im thinking a single piece body of better quality wood should make a difference.

Im also looking at changing the Trem - not that I dont like the Wilkinson, BUT Ive been recommended the bladeruners. These are not push in trem arms which I like and also have aluminium blocks (though by all accounts they have more sustain than steel ones) - however, the reason I chose the Wilkinson was less to do with the push in fit - but rather the length of the arm and the angle it sits away from the body. The stock Fender one was terrible - sat WAY too high from the body and was WAY too long.

I may try the Trem first as its the cheapest option. If it ads enough sustain and a little to the tone it may be enough.

Id need the backplate though. ive had nice PUs already, in both my Tele and Strat but the buzz from a Switch Mode PSU next door causes havoc when recording - and makes even playing a trial at times with SCs. Even the PRS HBs buzz a little with high gain cos of the PSU !!!!

Back
Top Bottom