Talk me out of (or into) buying a Suhr Guitar

Suhr are great but every guitar is different. I found some to have boxy frets due to plek and lack of post plek crowning…make sure you play the guitar before purchasing. Some are amazing, some are average

Following a previous title (related to a Strandberg) I'm here to listen to your kind advice...

I'm thinking of swapping my Ibanez AZ2402 with a Suhr Modern Plus HSH.
The Ibanez is a great guitar but I cannot totally bond with the neck... so there's a good deal on a used Suhr and I'm just evaluating pros and cons.

Any advice is appreciated!
(picture attached as a reference for the used Suhr)

View attachment 130217
You're asking the wrong person. I ordered one of these, even though it's a 2-year wait

Attachments

• Suhr Custom Configurator (v2) .pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
I'm really really curious to try the strandberg, thanks for the feedback!
I'm into original music, so I'm not looking for a specific or vintage tone... I'll try to see what kind of tunes my hands will follow on that fretboard.

I ended up using an online store (bax-shop) with free returns and the possibility to use PayPal and I'm not sure if the price was a mistake or not, because after few hours it was increased a lot.
Let's see if the guitar arrives and how 😂 I feel confident
I was just looking to see if there was any discussion about Strandbergs because ... I just got the NX7 from Bax because they had a super low price on that model, too. Gotta wonder why they're selling those hundreds less than the others. Maybe they're divesting themselves of the brand? Technically Santa got it for me but I had to sneak it out of the box and make sure it was okay. It was. I hope you like yours, too!

I was just looking to see if there was any discussion about Strandbergs because ... I just got the NX7 from Bax because they had a super low price on that model, too. Gotta wonder why they're selling those hundreds less than the others. Maybe they're divesting themselves of the brand? Technically Santa got it for me but I had to sneak it out of the box and make sure it was okay. It was. I hope you like yours, too!
Yep same here... really really low price... the day after it was 900€ more!
I have to say that I have mixed feelings... a NGD with a review is planned in the next days.

As a brief feedback:
PROs: great sonic qualities, great pickups, great playability
CONs: fretwork is meh. No buzz at all, ok, but fret ends are sharp and there are tool marks every fret... Finishing is also meh.
Considering this guitar costs 2600€... quality wise it's not even on par with the Ibanez Premium line (but maybe I got an unlucky one..!)

As a brief feedback:
CONs: fretwork is meh. No buzz at all, ok, but fret ends are sharp and there are tool marks every fret... Finishing is also meh.
Considering this guitar costs 2600€... quality wise it's not even on par with the Ibanez Premium line (but maybe I got an unlucky one..!)
Bummer. Your post prompted me to sneak mine out of the box that Santa (my wife) thinks it is in and do a more thorough inspection. So, just between you, me, and the internet: now there is an empty box by the tree ;)

Anyway, I see no tool marks on my frets and the ends aren't sharp. They're relatively high frets compared to my other guitars so they're "noticeable" at the ends. Not uncomfortable. Same PROs as you, BUT: I do have some fret-buzz at the 15th fret on a 3 strings that is bugging me. I started adjusting string height and will check the neck curvature / truss rod tonight (I hope) and see where I go from there. The buzz isn't audible out the speakers but it's annoying on an expensive, new guitar. It bugs me a bit on principle. Since it's only on a few strings, I'm hoping that I can adjust it away, and that it's not a weird, raised fret.

Bummer. Your post prompted me to sneak mine out of the box that Santa (my wife) thinks it is in and do a more thorough inspection. So, just between you, me, and the internet: now there is an empty box by the tree ;)

Anyway, I see no tool marks on my frets and the ends aren't sharp. They're relatively high frets compared to my other guitars so they're "noticeable" at the ends. Not uncomfortable. Same PROs as you, BUT: I do have some fret-buzz at the 15th fret on a 3 strings that is bugging me. I started adjusting string height and will check the neck curvature / truss rod tonight (I hope) and see where I go from there. The buzz isn't audible out the speakers but it's annoying on an expensive, new guitar. It bugs me a bit on principle. Since it's only on a few strings, I'm hoping that I can adjust it away, and that it's not a weird, raised fret.

Glad the quality control on yours is better!
I assume those were discounted also for the production year (mine is 22)... so maybe they were stored for a long time and with a good setup they will reveal their true nature

Following a previous title (related to a Strandberg) I'm here to listen to your kind advice...

I'm thinking of swapping my Ibanez AZ2402 with a Suhr Modern Plus HSH.
The Ibanez is a great guitar but I cannot totally bond with the neck... so there's a good deal on a used Suhr and I'm just evaluating pros and cons.

Any advice is appreciated!
(picture attached as a reference for the used Suhr)

View attachment 130217
Nope , I have 3.

As a brief feedback:
Sorry to read all these CONs that can't be related to a 2600€ guitar.... I'm starting to think that QC is going to be the weak part of the production process for many brands....

The one time I tried one in a boutique guitar shop was a positive experience. There's definitely something to be said for how it feels/plays, it's definitely noticeable.

Thornbuckers are great as well.

But I personally wouldn't spend the extra money over a higher end Fender.

EDIT: Although the Andy Wood models are extremely appealing.

My suhr is fantastic(Classic S HSS), I'll probably buy another one some day(have had an eye on the pete thorn signature for a while)

Reactions: rog
Back
Top Bottom