Talk me out of (or into) buying a Suhr Guitar

The Suhr Custom Modern in my avatar is my main guitar. I also have a Standard and Classic S that I play daily. To me, all of them are great and other than swapping pickguards for cosmetic reasons, they're all stock, no urge to swap pickups.

Reactions: rog
The original 17mm-19mm spec?

None of the suggested guitars have similar neck profiles.

That's .669-.748 inches.

I have many guitars with those necks and loved them for a many, many years.

Now, they feel too thin to me :)
You're right.. in fact I had the super wizard prestige (17-19mm) and found it a little thin (maybe due to big hands).

Right now my favourite neck is on a premium RG (Marco Sfogli model) with a 19-21mm and 12 radius but I also like the one on a RGT, with 19-21mm and 16 radius.
It's funny (or at least easier for my wallet), I was liking more the premium neck over the prestige one

You're right.. in fact I had the super wizard prestige (17-19mm) and found it a little thin (maybe due to big hands).

Right now my favourite neck is on a premium RG (Marco Sfogli model) with a 19-21mm and 12 radius but I also like the one on a RGT, with 19-21mm and 16 radius.
It's funny (or at least easier for my wallet), I was liking more the premium neck over the prestige one
Since you mentioned radius, the Modern necks are 12-16" compound...

I haven't read all 4 pages of this thread so my reply is if you are still thinking about this.

I would make that trade every day of the week. I have 3 Suhr guitars and all of them are very high quality great playing and sounding instruments. They all have stainless steel frets in them. I have a fairly sizable guitar collection with all of the top high end brands in it and my number one player is a custom built Suhr carve top Standard that I had built in 2015. It has an HSS pickup configuration. Nothing has been able to unseat it for the music I play. It is a very versatile guitar that works really well in a cover band.

I have it in another guitar... I think it works well!

Even if I'm not that picky on radius... I mean from 12 to 16 I don't feel that much of a difference (maybe due to my poor guitar skills)
The Charvels are also 12-16" I think and the TAs are 12-14".

I don't notice much difference - pretty subtle...

Coming from many, many years on the Wizard necks which I think are 20", they do feel a bit more comfortable for chords but that could also need the neck back shape/dimensions.

The Charvels are also 12-16" I think and the TAs are 12-14".

I don't notice much difference - pretty subtle...

Coming from many, many years on the Wizard necks which I think are 20", they do feel a bit more comfortable for chords but that could also need the neck back shape/dimensions.
I believe old wizards (as the new ones) have a 17 radius. Pretty flat but really close to the 16

I just got my modern satin HSH. I’m primarily a PRS guy but I also have some other guitars. The fretwork and neck of the Suhr are incredible. I also really love the HSH wiring quirks they do to match resistance and give it a correct tone pot value. Customer service is also quick and extremely helpful.

I was between a TA and Suhr for my next guitar considering I wanted 22/24 stainless frets in a Strat style shape and I landed on a deal for a satin.
IMG_6266.jpeg

Cool. Very different especially the angled frets (for me). Have you played one? What color?
Autumn Red.
I was more for the charcoal black but the price was really too tempting.
Another store that claims free returns... so I had at least to try lowering my gas with something I wanted to try

1701121536833.png

Autumn Red.
I was more for the charcoal black but the price was really too tempting.
Another store that claims free returns... so I had at least to try lowering my gas with something I wanted to try

View attachment 130446
Personal taste: I like the Autumn Red more than the black. And i miss my maple board guitars. You’re gonna have some fun.

Frets should be interesting and I’m hoping you’ll post a review. Regarding the guitar, sound wise; Mathew Dale plays one and makes it sing. Rock, jazz, classical…you name it. Very versatile.

I was looking for a clip with him doing a lot of playing but landed on this one on how to level your preset volumes. He’s great:

So guys, just to share that I ended up with a great deal for a Strandberg Boden Original NX 6.
At least it has the Suhr pickups 😂

NGD in 2-3 days

Had a Classic 6 for a while.
Great guitars the Strandbergs, but beware that they have "their" tone.

I really liked everything about them except the sound, which is baked in the instrument as I've tried to change pickups multiple times.
And it was sad because actually the Strandberg helped me a lot to change the way I play and to re-train me to have a better playing position.

Playing wise the only really strange thing they have is that vibratos feel different, as Strandbergs don't have the weight of the headstock to conterbalance the movement of the vibrato.
You'll see.

In ogni caso ottima scelta, non te ne pentirai.
Tra l'altro, in che negozio l'hai presa?

Had a Classic 6 for a while.
Great guitars the Strandbergs, but beware that they have "their" tone.

I really liked everything about them except the sound, which is baked in the instrument as I've tried to change pickups multiple times.
And it was sad because actually the Strandberg helped me a lot to change the way I play and to re-train me to have a better playing position.

Playing wise the only really strange thing they have is that vibratos feel different, as Strandbergs don't have the weight of the headstock to conterbalance the movement of the vibrato.
You'll see.

In ogni caso ottima scelta, non te ne pentirai.
Tra l'altro, in che negozio l'hai presa?

I'm really really curious to try the strandberg, thanks for the feedback!
I'm into original music, so I'm not looking for a specific or vintage tone... I'll try to see what kind of tunes my hands will follow on that fretboard.

I ended up using an online store (bax-shop) with free returns and the possibility to use PayPal and I'm not sure if the price was a mistake or not, because after few hours it was increased a lot.
Let's see if the guitar arrives and how 😂 I feel confident

Another one to consider which is kinda in that wheelhouse , cheaper than suhr/anderson etc and popped up on my feed is the new 2023 Charvel MJ San Dimas Style 1 Models. They look pretty nice though i don't think its SS frets and the other features arent overly remarkable but not bad either. I'd be curious to try one out

Last edited:
Another one to consider which is kinda in that wheelhouse , cheaper than suhr/anderson etc and popped up on my feed is the new 2023 Charvel MJ San Dimas Style 1 Models. They look pretty nice though i don't think its SS frets and the other features arent overly remarkable but not bad either. I'd be curious to try one out

Yep, they're nice but not my cup of tea (and of course no SS)
Aesthetically speaking, I longer prefer the DK24 USA.

I always had 24 frets guitars... I'm also curious if there's so much difference on a 22 frets guitar with HH configuration (the single coil split should be in the right position).

Back
Top Bottom