Talk Box

guitarmanUK

Inspired
There are lots of threads on the Axe side of the forum regarding the talk box, specifically for 'Livin On A Prayer' but has anyone had any success with it on the FX8?

I have been playing with the Formant block for several hours and have been getting nowhere fast!! It may be because I don't have an expression pedal and that is what I need.

Anyone care to share a patch or offer any advice on what to do?

You can use the envelope controller similar to an autowah. But, if you have an fx8 and you don't have an expression pedal you are missing out on a lot. You really need at least one, ideally two.

You can use the envelope controller similar to an autowah. But, if you have an fx8 and you don't have an expression pedal you are missing out on a lot. You really need at least one, ideally two.

OK, I'll give the envelope controller a try but I suspected that an expression pedal is what is really needed. I need to investigate that next. I'll create a separate post for that in case anyone else wants to comment about the talk box aspect.

OK, so having an expression pedal has helped and I set up what sounded somewhere close at home for 'Living on a Prayer' and then tried it on a gig tonight. To say it sounded pants is an understatement but the biggest insult to injury was the drummer telling me it was the wrong sound! What the fudge does he know, he is only a drummer! (I do jest, it really was not good).

Some come on fellow FX8 owners, I need your help to recreate this iconic sound. I know a number of people have been successful using the Axe FX so it must be possible. I have to prove my drummer wrong!

Maybe you could try setting the controller to pitch, then play the high, medium, and low parts. With the mix in 100%

OK, so having an expression pedal has helped and I set up what sounded somewhere close at home for 'Living on a Prayer' and then tried it on a gig tonight. To say it sounded pants is an understatement but the biggest insult to injury was the drummer telling me it was the wrong sound! What the fudge does he know, he is only a drummer! (I do jest, it really was not good).

Some come on fellow FX8 owners, I need your help to recreate this iconic sound. I know a number of people have been successful using the Axe FX so it must be possible. I have to prove my drummer wrong!

See if the one I have in this clip sounds right to you. If so I can share my settings.
http://youtu.be/9BX9OjBOMsw

Hey Jonas, yes please that sounds so much better than I had got and it also doesn't involve the expression pedal so I can switch in in and out easily. If you could save the effect block and post it here that would be great or 'hand hold' me through how to set it up would be brilliant. Thank you so much :)

Hey Jonas, yes please that sounds so much better than I had got and it also doesn't involve the expression pedal so I can switch in in and out easily. If you could save the effect block and post it here that would be great or 'hand hold' me through how to set it up would be brilliant. Thank you so much :)

OK, I should have time later today.

I played with it a bit out of curiosity. It does not seem like it's possible to get much closer than jc's patch. It's almost like the 100% mix still lets too much dry signal through.

Formant block settings as follows:

Basic Tab

Start = OOO
Mid = OOO
End = AAA
Res = 4.72
Ctrl = 39.4

Mix Tab

Mix = 100%
Level is 3.25
Bal = 0.0
Byp Mode = Thru
Global Mix = Off

You also ned to set the LFO1 tab in the controllers menu

LFO Type = Sine
Rate = 0.552 Hz
Depth = 100%
Duty = 50%
OutB Phase = 180.0 deg
Tempo = 58/64
Quantize = Off

I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, let me know!

Formant block settings as follows:

Basic Tab

Start = OOO
Mid = OOO
End = AAA
Res = 4.72
Ctrl = 39.4

Mix Tab

Mix = 100%
Level is 3.25
Bal = 0.0
Byp Mode = Thru
Global Mix = Off

You also ned to set the LFO1 tab in the controllers menu

LFO Type = Sine
Rate = 0.552 Hz
Depth = 100%
Duty = 50%
OutB Phase = 180.0 deg
Tempo = 58/64
Quantize = Off

I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, let me know!

Thanks for posting this. I had a quick go last night and it was definitely better than I had but it will need a bit of tweaking to suit my setup. I have a rehearsal tonight so hopefully I will get chance to try it out at gig volumes instead of bedroom volumes!

Back
Top Bottom