'Take on Me' (A-ha cover) ...with a bit of the Metulz :)

What a song. So, what happens when anyone offers constructive criticism?

I'd remix it. I would bring up the keyboard part of the song just a little. It holds a more forefront part in the original. If you take the low end guitar stuff and use a parametric EQ on it you can cut 200hz and boost 100hz. This will create room for the keyboard part of the song to seem clearer. The drums are a little loud at first but then they mix fine as the song gets going. The singing is great. This could be a song that many people download. It's a great cover for what it attempts to communicate as a contemporary offering. I was bored at the middle. But that is what the song does. It's very interesting. I would think that crowds would like it in live shows.

I love the interpretation of this song! The guitar tones are great, but I thought the vocals could be a lot more up front on the chorus. This would be killer live!

Thanks for the comments and feedback guys!

I'll try tweaking the mix a bit once I finish fiddling with getting my 9.0 patches to sound as good as they did on 7.x (I'm finding it to be quite a difficult task!).

Gizmotron - Thanks for the feedback! Wouldn't boosting around 100k conflict with the bass and kick drum?

Dr. Mosh - Hahah, man....I had never heard that before, but can see some similarities...I've never even heard of the band before. Are they still around?

Cheers!

-JD

CAxN said:
Gizmotron - Thanks for the feedback! Wouldn't boosting around 100k conflict with the bass and kick drum?

It's a recording trick. There's too much at 200hz. You can try filtering out the congestion at 200hz. I do it by pulling down the 200hz and boosting 100hz in anything that is amplified, like a guitar amp. There is this proximity effect that exists when microphones and amplifiers are used to capture sound. The trick is that the first harmonic of 100hz is 200hz. So in effect you are getting it back. I'd experiment a little. The goal is to get rid of that muddy sounding range at around 200hz. So I use the clarity of the 100hz secondary harmonic to replace it. It works great in sound reinforcement. It works while mastering mixes in the mix room. It's a way to clean up muddiness. So I look for anything producing 200hz that also has 100hz. After a while you get used to checking for it. You know when it's muddy sounding.

P.S.
I mean just the guitar. You take it out of each instrument that produces too much of it.

graph.jpg

CAxN said:
Dr. Mosh - Hahah, man....I had never heard that before, but can see some similarities...I've never even heard of the band before. Are they still around?

hehe, thanks. Yeah, they're still around. They are actually friends of mine. I went to school with the drummer (not the same guy as in that video though) and we played in a band together for over 10 years. He's a monster drummer.

Their newer stuff is quite different though, here is their latest single http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q80Kvo0whJc
A fantastic live band, and very popular still around germany, austria and he furhte eastern countries.

I might be recording the guitars for their next album with my Axe-Fx, but don't tell anyone :)

I dig it!

I do think the vocals could come up some more. The guitar almost dominates it. The throatcore screaming sounds better buried though.

Also sounds like the same "drummer" as BJoo's "Blackened" version.

Back
Top Bottom