Tablets for charts, set lists???

pneil2

Inspired
hey all,

I've decided I want to switch to a tablet for chord charts. I have boxes and binders full of charts that would be great to have in a compact, easily searchable format.

Who does this? What tablets and SW/apps do you use for this?

Thx

Lyrics: On Song
Charts: ForScore and/or iRealBook. (PDF formatted charts)

Bonus accessories: Onstage U-mount and Airturn Bluetooth Page Turner.
Dropbox for charts and lyrics for bandmates.

As above on a iPad Air 2

OnSong for lyrics and PDFs I create myself (see below)
iRealB for charts
ForScore for PDFs such as all the fake and real books you can find online
ScanToPDF to create PDFs to copy into OnSong
All backed up to Dropbox

We use Set List Maker.

Pain in the butt to enter the music, in my opinion.

After you get the music in, it's not too bad. It is heavily feature laden but not all of it works solid.

I have a bluetooth footswitch, AirTurn, that is rock solid and I have set to page up and page down.

Overall better than music stands and sheaves of paper.

For the iPad users, is the air2 big enough? I have a friend that uses the 12" ipad pro, but dang, that things almost a thousand bucks! That's a significant portion of another guitar :).

For the iPad users, is the air2 big enough? I have a friend that uses the 12" ipad pro, but dang, that things almost a thousand bucks! That's a significant portion of another guitar :).

I use an older iPad second gen, not air, SLM works great. I use a mic stand mount and keep it directly below my vocal mic in portrait orientation.

SLM allows for font changes so it is very readable. We tried the PDF type of readers but none of them have the readability of SLM for us. That's why we suffer with the PITA way you have to add music to SLM :)

For windows users, I had been using Song Sheet Generator but it is somewhat old technology better suited for print outs and pc display. Came across SongRepertoire in the Windows Store but haven't explored it fully ... it still seems like its early in its development cycle. OnSong ( mentioned above ) seems interesting and will look at that. Are there any other options for Windows users that anyone knows about?

Thanks guys. Based on your (and other) recommendations, I loaded Onsong to my older IPad last night. Easy to see. Seems simple to use and I've already loaded a bunch of charts to it. I need to spend some time experimenting with chart formats. I'd like to create some transposable charts so I don't have to keep charts of the same song in 5 different keys! Looks like it should be good. Thanks.

Thanks guys. Based on your (and other) recommendations, I loaded Onsong to my older IPad last night. Easy to see. Seems simple to use and I've already loaded a bunch of charts to it. I need to spend some time experimenting with chart formats. I'd like to create some transposable charts so I don't have to keep charts of the same song in 5 different keys! Looks like it should be good. Thanks.
Good Choice! I've been using OnSong for a project over the last couple of months. It can be a bit daunting at times because it has so many options.

One of the coolest features is it's ability to send Midi. You can assign a Midi message that will be transmitted when a song is brought up. The message can be transmitted to your AxeFX to set it for the right preset for that song. OnSong can also send out Midi messages for different song sections... like if you had a different preset for Verse & Chorus, and then wanted to turn on a Drive during the Solo. Of course you need additional hardware (Router, Laptop, USB to Midi Interface) to do this, but it can be done rather easily.

Yes, the Air 2 is big enough. I'm using an Air which has the same screen size. If you find it to be two small you have a couple options:
  1. Put the Air 2 in landscape mode and scroll the song.
  2. Get a Lightning/HDMI adapter then connect your Air 2 to any TV or monitor that has an HDMI input. You could get a 24" monitor, all the necessary cables, the adapter, and an Air 2 and it would still cost less then the iPad Pro.

I use the iPad Pro - I had an iPad first generation for (obviously) years, and loved it, and I always felt the only reason i'd ever upgrade is for a larger screen, which I didn't really need, but was very welcomed when I switched.

I use a Konig & Meyer tablet holder for it - it took forever to find one large enough for the iPad Pro, but this one fits perfectly and mounts on a mic stand:
http://produkte.k-m.de/en/product?info=1714

I use the AirTurn BT-105 hands free page turner with 2 Boss FS-5U pedals to turn pages:
http://www.airturn.com/bluetooth-pedals/stompkit

mainly, I use Goodreader for all my songs, along with dropbox so they're all in the cloud, as well as stored locally .
I keep all my songs (about 2000) in Goodreader, kept in folders alphabetically by artist. I chose Goodreader after a lot of research, and since my songs were in many formats ( PDF, TXT, HTM, JPG, DOC.....) it was one of the only song apps that I could keep and view all my songs in.
Since they are on a shared Dropbox folder, I keep them on my PC as well, and prior to a gig, it takes about 30 seconds to set up a folder specifically for that gig, and I can even rename the song files so they are in numeric order.

I would like to take another look at some of the other apps that are out there, to see what they can do these days, but I love my setup so much.

I also use Ultimate-Guitar.com's Tabs HD program to look up songs on the fly when the crowd asks for anything - as a result, we never get stumped with any song requests.....

I use an iPad Air. For apps, I use:
Aron Nelson's unrealBook
iKlip Stage
irealPro
1Chart

iKlip Stage and irealPro get the most useage, depending on the gig/band.

I use OnSong and have written a vb script (Windows only, sorry) that converts simple text charts into html docs with bold text on a black background. Works great for me - PM me if you're interested - no charge.

Back
Top Bottom