Wish System setting to hide everything other than the 'authentic', 'ideal', and EQ pages.

Don’t click it?

Do you open every door in a building?
Yeah, I get that this is the internet, but... There's kind of no need to invalidate a persons perspective in such a rude way. Maybe it was tongue in cheek?

I posted this wish after 4 months of using the device. If you watch Rhett Shull's review of the AxeFX 3, which I suspect had/has a major impact on people's perception of the device, he has the same problem.

Whether this is an issue is potentially indexed to my or another user's general problems with compulsivity -- some people have issues with 'extra' stuff just being visible. Some people tolerate all manner of cruft.

I think your response would have been appropriate if I had said "get rid of the advanced menus", but that's not what I said. All the way back in the pre-internet BBS days different modes for the menus were common, with simpler modes obscuring advanced options.

Happy Fun GIF

You do you boo …

Yeah, I get that this is the internet, but... There's kind of no need to invalidate a persons perspective in such a rude way. Maybe it was tongue in cheek?

I posted this wish after 4 months of using the device. If you watch Rhett Shull's review of the AxeFX 3, which I suspect had/has a major impact on people's perception of the device, he has the same problem.

Whether this is an issue is potentially indexed to my or another user's general problems with compulsivity -- some people have issues with 'extra' stuff just being visible. Some people tolerate all manner of cruft.

I think your response would have been appropriate if I had said "get rid of the advanced menus", but that's not what I said. All the way back in the pre-internet BBS days different modes for the menus were common, with simpler modes obscuring advanced options.
Sorry, but I tend to agree. If you don't want to touch advanced parameters, don't... It's very easy to not go to those tabs.

As for Rhett's video, I seriously doubt it affected anyone's perception unless they are fairly clueless. He had the device for years and then invested no time in learning and then complained.

However, you're allowed to wish... So that's all I'm going to say ;)

I don't mind the difference of opinion. I mind the tone and the disrespect in the original response and the follow up response.

System setting to hide the advanced stuff.
This has been requested before, but there are multiple ways to look at the problem that result in it remaining where it is.

The system could default to a "simplified" interface across the board, because it would need to apply to ALL blocks AND the front-panel AND in Edit, not just to the Amp block, and would force rewriting the manual to move the deeper information to the end or the creation of another manual. This would appeal to a small subset of new users who are intimidated by complexity or have option paralysis, but odds are good they wouldn't read it either. It would also irritate those who bought what they believed was a high-end device but "has no flexibility or options" so they immediately reject it and report on the internet that "it sux", simply because they didn't read the manual far enough to find out that they could change it. It also would result in feedback and questions from the pros, who the system is designed for, on how to return the system to its traditional/expected interface. It would also force reworking the existing firmware and Edit, which, in a small company is a very time-consuming and costly exercise with no idea how many would want it or use it for more than a week or month. The expense would have to be justified by a big increase in sales, and I have a hard time believing that would happen.

The current interface could remain, with an option in the system settings that toggles the simplified setting. Fractal would still hear the same "it sux" comments because many people would not read the manual to learn how to move through the front-panel and toggle it. And, FAS would have spent the time and money to rework it. I have a hard time believing they'd go there.

They can leave it as is and have a small subset of users who want that capability and have a small number of complaints, without spending a lot of time reworking the firmware and editor. I would follow that path if it was my company and my dollar.

Hick's Law is useful when working in a well-funded and large development group, when they have enough staff to spin off a human-interface team who is responsible for that single aspect of the software. Fractal is a small company where people wear multiple hats and that testing would be a hard to justify luxury in the tiny corner of technology they exist in.

I was intimidated by the interface when I first started using the system, and there are still things I have to dive into the manual to figure out, but I expect that with a technical device if I want to use it as best I can.

This is a problem that Jef Raskin, the original interface designer on the Macintosh project wrote about a million years ago. What he described in his paper "Intuitive Equals Familiar" is exactly what you are describing.

"...it is clear that a user interface feature is "intuitive" insofar as it resembles or is identical to something the user has already learned. In short, "intuitive" in this context is an almost exact synonym of "familiar.""

https://go.gale.com/ps/i.do?p=AONE&...E|A16082395&v=2.1&it=r&sid=AONE&asid=2a0a71e2

Doesn’t hurt to wish. I skimmed the article in the link. I’m still of the opinion that it’s not necessary to hide the advanced parameters.

There are some things I find confusing though. Like on an amp with few tone controls or even a single hi cut, how does that knob interact with the advanced controls? Same with the tone controls on drives. There’s usually a drive and a tone. So how do the advanced controls interact with the single tone? Mostly I’m curious is all, it doesn’t bug me. I just go for the end result which is how it sounds. I’ve always built my own stuff, and built tube amps for awhile. I’d build one and play it, and then make some changes, and repeat. It’s a lot easier now with the FAS modelers. No solder required and nothing blows up. That’s how I see the ideal and advanced controls, making changes to the original design. It’s not necessary to use ideal and advanced to get good tones. It doesn’t seem to me it would be difficult to hide certain buttons but I’m not a programmer.

Back
Top Bottom