Wish Sysex instructions can be stored with in the Scene MIDI Send Block

+1000 for the OP @Skogtroll 's request to send out SYSEX strings with the Scene MIDI Block.

I have a lot of old gear that is seeing a renaissance as I make it useful in 2024. If my FM3 could send handshake SYSEX to my GCXs, Pedal Switchers, Control Switcher chain, I'd be very happy.

Respectfully, all of this other talk about beats and implementing response to system exclusive distracts from the main point.

I need to send the following handshake to get my rack and pedal rigs to respond to subsequent CC messages...

F0 00 00 07 01 08 10 F7

Thanks, Daniel

Last edited:
Hello again from Germany!

I just wanted to present a possibility to switch the modeled instruments of a Line6 Variax guitar. Unfortunately, the MIDI block of the FM9 cannot send a SysEx code, so you have to take a "little helper" with you: For example, an M-Vave Chokolade MIDI bar. The great thing is that this bar is so small that it fits underneath the knobs with flat magnets.

In Advanced Custom Mode you can use Step Short or Step Long to turn the 4 buttons into 8 buttons and store several MIDI codes for each button, which are processed in sequence. These MIDI codes can also be programmed with a SysEx code.

The MIDI codes for the Variax are "PC" codes and since it also transmits on the 1st channel, presets are also diligently switched in FM9. Since I can't change the channel in the Variax, I first set the FM9 under Setup > MIDI/Remote > the MIDI channel to 2 and MIDI Thru to On.

To switch the scenes > Setup > Midi > Other > Scene Select > Set CC to 10, for example, but other values are also possible.

Then in the M-Vave Chokolade for the respective keystroke would be...
CC 10 - value 0 = Scene 1
CC 10 - value 1 = Scene 2
CC 10 - value 2 = Scene 3
CC 10 - value 3 = Scene 4
CC 10 - value 4 = Scene 5

If you set the CC channel code to 2 in the M-Vave chocolate bar, only the scenes are switched.

But this is only a stopgap solution. The best thing would still be for Fractal to expand the MIDI blocks to include the option of storing a SysEx code. This would also be the most comprehensive way in terms of basic flexibility, because you could then customize a scene in a preset with one of the numerous instruments that are included in a Variax. With the M-Vave you "only" have 8 fixed modeled instruments at the start.

The "attached" picture looks very chaotic, this is my test setup. I had to solder a lot of things back and forth until it fitted...

M-Vave_001.jpg

----------------------------------------------------

The M-Vave Chokolade is available very cheaply from Amazon and/or Ali-Express.

It has a rechargeable battery on board that should last up to 12 hours when fully charged. You can also buy a Bluetooth dongle for the MIDI in and out sockets of the device to be controlled. A USB-MIDI-dongle is also included!

I have tried all the options > it works!

The MIDI signal is output by cable via a TRS jack socket. Or you can connect an expression pedal to this TRS jack (then you have to control your peripheral device via Bluetooth).

I have now realized my Variax control via TRS/MIDI DIN plug.

Hello again from Germany!

I just wanted to present a possibility to switch the modeled instruments of a Line6 Variax guitar. Unfortunately, the MIDI block of the FM9 cannot send a SysEx code, so you have to take a "little helper" with you: For example, an M-Vave Chokolade MIDI bar. The great thing is that this bar is so small that it fits underneath the knobs with flat magnets.

In Advanced Custom Mode you can use Step Short or Step Long to turn the 4 buttons into 8 buttons and store several MIDI codes for each button, which are processed in sequence. These MIDI codes can also be programmed with a SysEx code.

The MIDI codes for the Variax are "PC" codes and since it also transmits on the 1st channel, presets are also diligently switched in FM9. Since I can't change the channel in the Variax, I first set the FM9 under Setup > MIDI/Remote > the MIDI channel to 2 and MIDI Thru to On.

To switch the scenes > Setup > Midi > Other > Scene Select > Set CC to 10, for example, but other values are also possible.

Then in the M-Vave Chokolade for the respective keystroke would be...
CC 10 - value 0 = Scene 1
CC 10 - value 1 = Scene 2
CC 10 - value 2 = Scene 3
CC 10 - value 3 = Scene 4
CC 10 - value 4 = Scene 5

If you set the CC channel code to 2 in the M-Vave chocolate bar, only the scenes are switched.

But this is only a stopgap solution. The best thing would still be for Fractal to expand the MIDI blocks to include the option of storing a SysEx code. This would also be the most comprehensive way in terms of basic flexibility, because you could then customize a scene in a preset with one of the numerous instruments that are included in a Variax. With the M-Vave you "only" have 8 fixed modeled instruments at the start.

The "attached" picture looks very chaotic, this is my test setup. I had to solder a lot of things back and forth until it fitted...

View attachment 142901

----------------------------------------------------

The M-Vave Chokolade is available very cheaply from Amazon and/or Ali-Express.

It has a rechargeable battery on board that should last up to 12 hours when fully charged. You can also buy a Bluetooth dongle for the MIDI in and out sockets of the device to be controlled. A USB-MIDI-dongle is also included!

I have tried all the options > it works!

The MIDI signal is output by cable via a TRS jack socket. Or you can connect an expression pedal to this TRS jack (then you have to control your peripheral device via Bluetooth).

I have now realized my Variax control via TRS/MIDI DIN plug.

Guten Morgen von Arizona!

Your "stopgap solution" looks better than most folks' "proper solution". I have been looking for a little MIDI controller to use under (or on) my desk for switching my FM9's presets and scenes while facing the computer and working with FM9-Edit. This might be just the thing!

I need more buttons.... ;)
20240217_185643.jpg

Guten Morgen von Arizona!

Your "stopgap solution" looks better than most folks' "proper solution". I have been looking for a little MIDI controller to use under (or on) my desk for switching my FM9's presets and scenes while facing the computer and working with FM9-Edit. This might be just the thing!

I need more buttons.... ;)

Hello Joe, yes, I also think that the M-Vave MIDI controller is a good solution for now. I hope that Fractal Audio will add the SysEx function to the MIDI block for scenes in future firmware.

Kind regards from Germany to Arizona 👍

Back
Top Bottom