Sysex 0x02 MIDI_GET_PARAMETER

Gang, this is awesome stuff.
Bossredman, I appreciate your tenacity and community mindedness to keep sharing when you were not getting a lot of feedback.

My goal is to create a simple floorboard mounted controller to implement what would have been nice to have on the Axe8 front panel... endless rotary knobs that show current setting status, assignable to control arbitrary parameters rather than fixed assignment to amp parameters. For example, I want to have real-time easy access to:
- delay1 mix (or input gain when in parallel block)
- delay1 feedback
- delay1 time
- delay2 mix (or input gain when in parallel block)
- delay2 feedback
- delay2 time
- reverb mix (or input gain)
- reverb early level
- reverb tail duration
- tremolo frequency
- tremolo depth
- rotary depth
- rotary mix
- chorus mix
- cab block low cut freq
- cab block hi cut freq

other possibilities compelling for me:
- phaser/flanger depth & mix, etc...
- side button to trigger different pitch block harmonies
- side button to trigger 1/2 step detune in pitch block

What I'm thinking is this:
1. Buy a Midi Fighter Twister

2. Connect it to an Arduino with Midi and USB implementation... I did a protoype with a Korg Nanocontroller before and giggled my ass off making an Axe FX II XL play Pink Floyd's "On The Run" with the background step sequencer feeding into a synth block, and using MIDI to change the square wave duty cycle. Hints that got me started:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=205078.0

3. Will need to code the special sauce in Arduino to have some loop that queries the External Controller parameter current values, then every time they are tweaked via MIDI CC, will need to query via sysEx to get the new value and convert it to a MIDI Note of CC message to trigger the LED display on MIDI Fighter Twister.

4. This will only enable using 10 of the 16 endless rotary knobs (because I have 2 pedals already- for Wah and Volume), but then I might bypass the External Controller settings altogether and use sysEx to directly set the parameters that interest me. That opens up the ability to use all 16 endless rotaries.

Note, the Midi Fighter Twister has open-sourced it's firmware, so might be able to directly code the sysEx into that unit while keeping the Arduino MIDI/USB setup very vanilla to just convert USB to serial and deliver the USB power to the Midi Fighter Twister unit.

Last edited:
Gang, this is awesome stuff.
Bossredman, I appreciate your tenacity and community mindedness to keep sharing when you were not getting a lot of feedback.

My goal is to create a simple floorboard mounted controller to implement what would have been nice to have on the Axe8 front panel... endless rotary knobs that show current setting status, assignable to control arbitrary parameters rather than fixed assignment to amp parameters. For example, I want to have real-time easy access to:
  • delay1 mix (or input gain when in parallel block)
  • delay1 feedback
  • delay1 time
  • delay2 mix (or input gain when in parallel block)
  • delay2 feedback
  • delay2 time
  • reverb mix (or input gain)
  • reverb early level
  • reverb tail duration
  • tremolo frequency
  • tremolo depth
  • rotary depth
  • rotary mix
  • chorus mix
  • cab block low cut freq
  • cab block hi cut freq

other possibilities compelling for me:
  • phaser/flanger depth & mix, etc...
  • side button to trigger different pitch block harmonies
  • side button to trigger 1/2 step detune in pitch block

What I'm thinking is this:
1. Buy a Midi Fighter Twister

2. Connect it to an Arduino with Midi and USB implementation... I did a protoype with a Korg Nanocontroller before and giggled my ass off making an Axe FX II XL play Pink Floyd's "On The Run" with the background step sequencer feeding into a synth block, and using MIDI to change the square wave duty cycle. Hints that got me started:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=205078.0

3. Will need to code the special sauce in Arduino to have some loop that queries the External Controller parameter current values, then every time they are tweaked via MIDI CC, will need to query via sysEx to get the new value and convert it to a MIDI Note of CC message to trigger the LED display on MIDI Fighter Twister.

4. This will only enable using 10 of the 16 endless rotary knobs (because I have 2 pedals already- for Wah and Volume), but then I might bypass the External Controller settings altogether and use sysEx to directly set the parameters that interest me. That opens up the ability to use all 16 endless rotaries.

Note, the Midi Fighter Twister has open-sourced it's firmware, so might be able to directly code the sysEx into that unit while keeping the Arduino MIDI/USB setup very vanilla to just convert USB to serial and deliver the USB power to the Midi Fighter Twister unit.

hi @6stringscott,​

that sounds awesome! have you realized your idea? would love to hear about your results/experiences as I'm thinking of putting together something like that for my FM3 and FM9...

Hi rocket.

I started a project some time ago to build myself a midi foot controller for my axefx2.
Initially I just wanted to change presets (up and down) away from the afx.

But i got bitten by the coding bug and I'm now on my 4th version.
Started with a Teensy 3 MCU.
Now using the Teensy 3.6 and mfc has:
Midi in and out,
24 switches,
20 LEDs
1 TFT display
8 x 8x2 LCD displays
A second expression pedal input.

Anyway i digress - to answer your question, the purpose is to be able to "tweak" effect block parameters remote from the axefx.
Initially I just wanted to do this for the amp basic parameters ie drive, bass, mid, treble, bright, present & output level.

But now moving on to include other commonly used effects ie Drive, delay, chorus.

Ive only been able to get this far with the kind help of people like Nero and others on this and the the pjrc forums.
hi bossredman.
awesome, I'd love to see some pictures of your controller! Is it still up and running?

Back
Top Bottom