Sync Tremelo with other FX blocks and LFO's

ralphonz

Inspired
Hey all,

does anyone know how to sync the tremolo with other effects such as the phaser? I'd like all LFO's and waveforms to sync up across the whole unit. As it is all the different fx blocks seem to start in different places creating some unpredictable results - i.e. their modulation LFO's are not phase aligned with one another. I'm using tempo synced rates for everything and they need to all be aligned.

I've also noticed that when switching to a new preset an LFO will always start in a different place which is no good because I don't know if my filter will be all the way up or down when the patch loads!

This all seems related, has anyone managed to get everything to sync up, in a predictable and quantised way?

Depending on what's in the preset, the solution would involve one or more of these things:

1. Some blocks like tremolo and flanger can reset LFO upon engaging. Phaser doesn't, IIRC.

2. If using a CONTROL menu LFO as modifier source, you can stop/start via RUN modifier to reset phase.

3. Some blocks' rate parameters display LFO 1 SYNC at minimum. This lets you sync to LFO1 without being tied to the specific waveform of LFO 1.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had experimented with the things you mention but it just doesn't do the job.

Could you explain point 1 in more detail? If I have a tremolo and a flanger will they be in sync when the patch is loaded or are you talking about just engaging the block? It doesn't sound like they are in sync if you just load the preset.

I can't use the LFO sync because I don't want all the blocks to run at the same rate - for example I usually want my trem on 1/16 and my phaser on ¼ or ⅛ but I need them to start in phase otherwise its just a mess of modulation. When in phase they cycle round and should all sync up at the interval of the slowest rate if you know what i mean which might be every ¼ beat or every bar.

Yes I can RUN the LFO but I can't change preset and RUN simultaneously. I need RUN to trigger automatically when the preset is selected but there is a delay between pressing the switch and the preset loading on the axe so it doesn't work to just assign both to a single switch. This is also a problem with the sequencer which usually for me needs to run at the same time as a preset is selected...

Here is a specific scenario:
I have a tremolo block set to 1/16 (square wave 36% duty) it sounds nice and synthy. I want to modulate every other 1/16 (so every ⅛) with a filter so I hook up a filter block to LFO 1 ⅛ square wave. Now, the tremolo square is not synced to the LFO square wave and the effect doesn't work as desired. Surely there is a way to get them in phase as soon as the preset is loaded? I just for the life of me can't figure it out.

I think many of my issues stem from the fact that I need to use different presets and be able to switch quickly. One preset won't cut it for an electronic track, I usually use around 5 per track and they all max out the CPU pretty much. I need more power!!

I'm not sure if a stored engaged block will reset on preset load. Are you sending program change commands from a sequencer/DAW? The only solution might be to switch presets a little early and send CCs to engage the blocks and/or stop/start the LFO(s). Maybe this could also work with immediate CCs from a controller after the program change.

No I'm not using a DAW. It's not a problem for recording, only Live stuff. (although it would be nice not to have to set up all the time when recording - it should just sync when I press play) I'm using an FCB1010 until the new liquid foot pedals come out.

Is it not to much to ask that the effects modulate the same way each time - i.e. the top of the flanger sweep is at the same point as the top of phaser sweep for example? At least then the sound is predicable. At the moment the phaser LFO peak could be anywhere in relation to that of the flanger when the preset is loaded....

Back
Top Bottom