Switching to AX8 from Kemper ...

Get one mate

I got mine for effects and a MIDI switcher for my JVM410H with occasional use as a modeler

Haven't turned the Marshall on once since I got the Fractal and I've been getting spectacular sounds

I say audition the factory presets AND build your own from scratch. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I've had some serious AHA! moments starting with a blank preset and inserting amp->cab with a touch of 'verb.

I've also found some really great presets as I roll through them. Even when I find one that I don't like, I can usually get it sounding good -- and often, really good -- with some minor tweaks.

Someone took one of my JerEvil Splawn Kemper profiles and converted to the AxeFX. I'll have to see if it exists anywhere for the AX8.

Last edited:
Hey Jer,

There are lots of great powered FRFR speaker cabs to try out....but I'm a HUGE fan of the Friedman ASM-12's....

X
Yeah I have tried some of the Alto stuff, Yamaha and a few others anywhere from the $300-600 range and usually feel underwhelmed. I've felt most comfortable with tube power amp and guitar cab. I know from your vids you really seem to be enjoyed by the Friedmans. My understanding is they can be a bit dark but overall feel most "guitar cab like" in feel.

My buddy Tim Owens uses an Avatar 1x12 with the little Matrix cab mounted power amp that he seems to like well enough for gigging.

So after 2 years of very happy Kemper use, I sold my Kemper rig. In part I felt everything just started sounding the same.

I was a Fractal owner for years using AXE Standard then moving to the AXE II. I decided to sell th Fractal gear and used Kemper for two years. You're right the Kemper is good however everything just sounded the same. I purched the AX8 and couldn't be happier. I think you will be very happy too.

You will love it. If you still have some amps from your Kemper time practice earballing the settings so you have a frame of reference for the variables within the AX8. My recommendation would be to find a couple amps you love and get your feet settled by setting them how you like otherwise you will have overload syndrome just like having 1000's of profiles....that you never use. Then go to the effects and you are set. Enjoy! Scenes or X/Y will be your friend. Scenes are similar to performance mode. I settled on X/Y which gives you 2 settings for each foot switch.

Same story fo me. Had a Kemper + remote (with two H9 in S/r) for the last two years. I sold it some months ago,now happy owner of an Ax8. I think the amp stays in the same quality territory. But no way for the rest: effects, routing, editor and format (only pedalboard).

Back
Top Bottom