Switching songs in Onsong

wolferich

I have an AX FX III with a FC-3 and a wireless midi transmitter sending/receiving Midi to/from my iPad with Onsong running on it.

I want to scroll through songs (presets) on my axe and want Onsong to follow. That also works with PC messages from Axe to Onsong.
I want to manually scroll through songs in Onsong and have the Axe-stuff following. That works by sending song specific PC messages from Onsong to the AXE.
I want to scroll through songs using long-press-buttons on my FC-3. I programmed Control Switches CS1 and CS2 to scroll forward/backwards and can semd them BUT: I always get two such midi messages switching me two songs at a time.

I tried all and everything but didnt get it to work. What is my mistake; how can I get it to work.

i'm confused with some terms you're using.

FC-3 is not a product. do you mean FC6?

Control Switches CS1 and CS2 are very specific things. do you simply mean Switches 1 and 2? or do you mean external switches?

Sorry. Yes, I have a FC6.

I programmed CS1 and CS2 with Midi messages and related them to the Hold function of the FC6-switches 1 and 4. A long press on the buttons released the programmed midi messages (tried with PC and CC-messages) as desired and triggered a song forward or backward as expected. BUT after a short moment the midi messages were fired out a second tim, triggering another move forward/backward.

If I deactivate the Midi out of the ipad/onsong then I can scroll through the songs by pressing the FC3 footswitches, sending specific Midi signals (e.g. PC 120 on channel 3) for that purpose.
If I activate the Midi-Out on the ipad/onsong, a PC signal is send to the Axe on channel 1 (e.g. PC5) where the related preset is correctly activated. Then nothing else should happen but it seems that another PC 120 on chanel 3 is sent from the Axe.

Is there a mistake in my programming creating a loop or is there any setting I have to change? I don‘t think so, obviously. Could it be a bug? Any help would be very welcomed.

Last edited:
As described above the PC message is not the relevant one. It is ignored by the ipad/onsong. Surprisingly the specifically programmed message, in my example PC 102 at channel 3 seems to be repeated too and initiates a second song change.

Get midiox or similar and prove who is sending the second midi message. This is not something I’ve seen with all my tests for my controller. Unix is right (that if configured) the axefx will send a PC of the selected preset. But it doesn’t sound like that should affect you as I think you’ve said onsing is on channel 3 and axefx is on channel 1.

Just find out who is sending the repeat and then look there to stop it.

Couldnt clarify the "who sends what" in Midiox because of heavy permanent Sysex load of the axe. I assume this is the communication with the FC6. In addition, my ipad receives Midi signals through a wireless Midi from the AXE and I cannot monitor it by Midiox. How could I proceed?

@unix-guy A PC message, even being sent on all channels, would not trigger a second song-forward or backward in Onsong because I use a different PC. My PCs of the axe are going up to 60, the Onsong change message is above 100. Only the last one appears twice according to what is reported in Onsong.

Couldnt clarify the "who sends what" in Midiox because of heavy permanent Sysex load of the axe. I assume this is the communication with the FC6. In addition, my ipad receives Midi signals through a wireless Midi from the AXE and I cannot monitor it by Midiox. How could I proceed?

@unix-guy A PC message, even being sent on all channels, would not trigger a second song-forward or backward in Onsong because I use a different PC. My PCs of the axe are going up to 60, the Onsong change message is above 100. Only the last one appears twice according to what is reported in Onsong.
There is no midi messaging to the FCs.

The AFX3 only sends on a single channel.

Close axeedit to get rid of the sysex messaging?

It sounds as if the the hold function is triggering CS send again when released? Your saying its two program changes on both devices?

It sounds as if the the hold function is triggering CS send again when released? Your saying its two program changes on both devices?
I think he is using PC messages to action next etc.. so he can only program that as ON. If he is using CC there is a chance he has programmed an ON and an OFF value. You need to set one of those to “—“ if you only want an ON transition sent. I reported a bug around being able to select that from AxeEdit3, so check it on the front panel interface.

Tried to program on the AXE in order to secure that it is not the reported problem of simonp54.

If I set the second PC message to none the axe sends the related midi message once at every second time I press the footswitch on the FC6.
If I set the second PC message to the same value as ON the related midi message is send twice at every time I press the footswich on the FC6.

That looks strange to me and I dont see a way to come to the intended behaviour "1 message per pressed footswitch.

@reclavea I use a Quicco Sound mi.1 wireless midi interface. It works flawless until now and is 100% reliable until now.

@simonp54 Thanks, after closing of Axe Edit the heavy load in Midiox is gone. Still couldnt get total clarity of "who sends what" because I cannot see the signals that go over the wireless device.

Tried to program on the AXE in order to secure that it is not the reported problem of simonp54.

If I set the second PC message to none the axe sends the related midi message once at every second time I press the footswitch on the FC6.
If I set the second PC message to the same value as ON the related midi message is send twice at every time I press the footswich on the FC6.

That looks strange to me and I dont see a way to come to the intended behaviour "1 message per pressed footswitch.
Screen shot of CS settings would help

I hope the attached screenshots help.

View attachment 58067View attachment 58068

Hope the screenshots show what you want/need.
So those settings will send CC when the switch goes on AND when it goes off

I don’t think that’s what you want.

If your CS is controlled by a momentary switch, you’ll get two CC 1s value 121 each for CS1 as it goes down and then back up. Test this by pressing and holding the momentary switch. You’ll get the first CC. Then release, you’ll get the second.
And for CS2 two CC 1s value 120. (On down and up)
All assuming you don’t have any other functions assigned like “hold” or some such.

Reconfigure so you have no OFF value. (Aka “—“)

it also looks like (from what you've said) you have the switch configured as latching. Don't do that. Set it as momentary and then only program an ON value for each of the CS MIDI payloads

Back
Top Bottom