Switching MIDI presets on external device in ‘Scene’ mode?

espeche83

I have an Axe Fx IIXL that I use with the MFC 101 Mark III. I run a Marshall JMP-1 preamp in the loop of the Axe for my main tones and use the Axe for fx/eq mainly.

I want to be able to MIDI switch presets on the JMP-1 in Scene mode on the MFC. Like Scene 1 is my clean JMP-1 patch, Scene 2 switches to my dirty JMP-1 patch and so on.

So far I’m able to get the MFC to switch MIDI presets on the JMP-1 in regular preset mode on the MFC. When I hit ‘reveal’ and go to Scene mode it no longer switches MIDI. Is there a way to set this up so scenes can make these changes?

I’ve messed with the MIDI set up menu on the MFC and haven’t been able to figure it out yet. Each scene appears to have a deeper menu on the MFC and I did try setting each scenes parameters to correspond with specific PC changes but it’s still not working. I’m assuming I don’t have something set correctly.

Thanks for the help

I haven't used an MFC or Axe Fx II in about 5 years and never used it to control external devices.

The default mode of the MFC is "Axe Fx". As such, the switches are specific to the Axe Fx.

Presets work because the MFC sends PC commands on all midi channels when you change presets on the Axe Fx.

Scenes use midi CC commands and they only transmit on the channel set for the Axe Fx.

You might be able to make it work by using the MFC as a "generic" midi controller and not in Axe Fx mode... But that requires more complex programming.

That makes sense, thanks. I am using the MFC in Axe mode. I was able to get my Ground Control to switch scenes and MIDI pc at the same time. But the MFC is such a sturdy and full featured unit that I guess I should look into just using it as a regular controller. Being able to plug an XLR cable in and power the unit is a great feature and a bummer to lose though.

That makes sense, thanks. I am using the MFC in Axe mode. I was able to get my Ground Control to switch scenes and MIDI pc at the same time. But the MFC is such a sturdy and full featured unit that I guess I should look into just using it as a regular controller. Being able to plug an XLR cable in and power the unit is a great feature and a bummer to lose though.
I'm pretty sure you can still do that... It's just the programming part that's different.

Back
Top Bottom