Switching AXE-FX presets from Pro Tools?

Fabes

Hey guys,

This might be an unorthodox question, but I'm wondering..

We've written some rather effects-heavy songs lately, in the studio. And I'm really no fan of tap-dancing on a midi controller. So, I thought maybe I can use Pro Tools (Since we have backing tracks playing from there) to switch presets or send midi CC to the Axe-FX while I'm playing live?
We have a Digidesign Digi 002-rack that's connected via midi to the axe-fx, and it works like a charm with the Axe Editor and such, but do you know if you can perhaps write CC's or Program Changes in Pro Tools that can be played back together with the backing tracks? And if so, how? I've tried to figure it out for a while, but I'm getting headaches, so any help is appreciated :)

Thanks a bunch beforehand!

I'm not sure how this is done in PT, but I've done it in Logic and I had to create a MIDI events track - it looks like an automation lane. I've also got PT so I'll see if I can get it figured out when I get back into the country.

hey, I would also love to know about this.
This is what I've gathered so far.

Unfortunately i cannot experiment with this but maybe check out this video on youtube about doing it in Logic.
It could MAYBE be a starting point. :idea:
Try maybe looking for some similar features in Pro Tools.

I also found this... Together, the video and this could be a good starting point
This is just quoted from another page

"You can insert MIDI Program (“Patch”) Changes commands into your MIDI or Instrument tracks a number of ways in Pro Tools. One way is to Insert them using the drop-down menu in the top right hand corner of the MIDI Event List. Select Insert ? Program Change."
http://www.showmeprotools.com/from-midi ... pro-tools/

That's a great starting point!
I'll try to figure this out. I'll get back to you with what I'll find :)

Thanks guys

Has anybody figured this out yet? If not in Pro Tools in any other Windows based DAW. I would literally pay for a video tutorial like the one 0ddb0d did on YouTube for Logic Studio. :/

Yes, you can do it manually.
Create a MIDI track. Go bring up the MIDI Event List Editor, then "Insert Program Change"... you can choose the Bank Number and preset number, as well as the Bar and Beat to insert the Program Change command.

All you need is a MIDI interface that Pro Tools can see, and to create a generic Instrument to map the Program change commands to.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Has anyone sucessfully done this yet?

I've tried everything I can think of (10 year PT user), but still no luck.

Anyone want to make a step by step guide? :)

With my band we have done this and play live with backing tracks and automatic switch for almost 2 years, we use cubase 5, audio is going on a soundcard w/o midi and we use a edirol usb-midi interface, we have 2 guitar so at least 2 midi tracks.
We have created for each guitarrist 1 midi track for program change and another midi track for all CC messages (but live we use only automated volume CC messages, others done manually on the foot controller), so each guitarrist has 1PC midi track and 1CC set to the right ##CC (volume in this case) track.
We have done this with cubase 5 and tc g-major, then switched to g-system and all work fine, now I'm waiting my Ultra but I think that will not be a problem, but using a 5-din midi cable I need to connect the PC with the MFC-101 then to 7-din and Ultra.

What I need to try is to send midi messages to MFC that say to change bank (song in set mode) with bank style set to Nothing on MFC.

I hope to have done only few english-mistakes ^^

Sgt.Alexx said:
Has anyone sucessfully done this yet?

I've tried everything I can think of (10 year PT user), but still no luck.

Anyone want to make a step by step guide? :)

Check out Mark Days' Journey recording with the Axe-Fx in the Recording forum.
He mentions in the video that he inserts Program Changes into Logic. Send him a PM.
Should be not very different with PT I guess.

I actually figured it out right after making this post :)

1. Create a midi track
2. Make sure the outout is set to the output connected to the AxeFX
3. Insert program change in the midi event list.

Check :)

Yeah i use the axefx and have it connected to the laptop too switch the channels via a program change command on a midi track in cubase as well. This is on a related note. I was wondering if any of you know how to toggle off and on each individual IA in each preset in in the axe fx. What sort of midi commands would i have to send via cubase to bypass a delay block in my preset? Im wondering this cause im thinking of trying to maybe minimizing the amount of presets i use as much as possible.

To bypass and engage effect blocks you simply send appropriate CC messages. Under I/O, Control Configuration you'll find the CC number to bypass/engage each effect block. CC value set to 0 for off, 127 for on, anything in between for toggle (I think).
Cheers,
-- G.

I actually figured it out right after making this post :)

1. Create a midi track
2. Make sure the outout is set to the output connected to the AxeFX
3. Insert program change in the midi event list.

Check :)

Hoping to bring this thread back to life. I've been able to get to the Midi Event List, but I can't seem to get any commands to talk to my AxeFX. For each event in PT, theres spaces for three number values. I assumed the first value would be the PC, and maybe the other two were for CC's. Anyways, tried many combinations of numbers, and tried sending via MIDI Out Channels 1 & 16. I have my MIDI cable going from my interface OUT to the Axe IN.

Thanks

I do MIDI switching sending PC's and CC's via Pro Tools.

I am away from the DAW at the moment, but the following tips should help you to find how to do that.

For program changes:

- Create a new MIDI track.

- Input: none, it doesn't really matter.

- Output: select your MIDI card and the MIDI channel the Axe is listening on.

- Track view: program change.

- Select the pencil tool and click on the bar/beat where you want to insert your PC, a dialog will pop up asking for the PC number.

- Of course you could use the MIDI event window, insert bar, beat, PC.

For MIDI CC's the best way to keep them under control, is to use a MIDI track for every MIDI CC you are controlling:

- Input: none, it doesn't really matter.

- Output: select your MIDI card and the MIDI channel the Axe is listening on.

- Track view: controller (CC, Continuous? I don't remember), select your controller number.
You will see a "line", like the volume automation one. The "line" represents the CC value (0 - 127)

- Open the MIDI event list, select bar, beat, controller number (just the one you selected for the track) and CC value.
You can also use the grabber tool on the "line", but it's harder to get the exact controller value.

Back
Top Bottom