Switched from Headrush to Axe Fx III Turbo, FC-12 and EV-1

I found the Headrush Pedalboard to be capable of producing good quality tones that were sufficient for gigging. However, the Headrush Pedalboard is of such poor mechanical and electrical design and manufacture that I could not rely on it. In the two years I owned it the motherboard fried due to a grounding design issue and four switches died at various times. Headrush replaced the Pedalboard after the motherboard fried…but when the replacement unit arrived two switches were dead. I repaired the switches myself but then a few months later two more switches died. So I decided to move on.

After a lot of research and gathering info I decided to purchase an Axe Fx III Turbo, a FC-12 and a EV-1. They arrived at various times over the past week...with the FC-12 showing up late this afternoon. I spent a half hour adding the FC-12 to the system a couple hours ago and have been testing everything out.

My first reaction is WOW! This system sounds amazing; each component is built like a tank and works like a champ! The AF3, FC-12 and EV-1 combo is everything my research and all the testimonials I read led me to believe it would be.

At first I expected that the complexity of the hardware and operating system would make it hard to set-up and utilize…but I was wrong. Once I figured out the menu hierarchy it was very easy to set-up everything and begin using the system.

I still have a lot to learn, but I am having a ball doing so! I am so happy that I decided to become one of the Fractal fanatic family members.

Last edited:
I think that the quality of the hardware is one of the most overlooked selling points of FAS. They build their gear to be used on stage by touring acts night after night with no compromise.
Yeah in 14 years of using their products I can only think of one time, back in standard days, that a screen went wonky. Opened up and was just a loose ribbon cable and quickly locked back in. Super reliable is an understatement!

I think that the quality of the hardware is one of the most overlooked selling points of FAS. They build their gear to be used on stage by touring acts night after night with no compromise.
I agree. I did a considerable amount of research into not only the tones a modeler was capable of producing, but the quality of the design and construction of not only the main unit, but all the appurtenances that would be required, when I decided to replace my Headrush Pedalboard. No other modeler offered the range of superior tones AND the superior design and quality of construction that Fractal did. Of course, superior quality comes with a superior first cost…but, it’s the long-term life-cycle cost that is most important to me. All of my research and discussions with Fractal customers showed me that Fractal modelers and accessories are built to last a long-time and are supported and improved with constant updates for and equally long-time! That made Fractal units the most cost effective choice to move to…which I did. Now that I have had a few days to actually experience the Axe Fx III Turbo, the FC-12 and the EV-1 first-hand, I am sure that I made the right choice! Fractal has just added another life-time customer to its list of happy customers. Of course, ”life-time” may not have the same impact on the company in my case as some others‘ impacts might be…I’m 70! I have been a gigging and studio musician for over 50 years and have owned a huge number of instruments and various assorted pieces of gear…I can honestly say that the quality and value of Fractal products are some of those on the top of my list of great products that I have owned!

Last edited:
I went through two Line 6 floor units, as well as a Pod 2.0. Two units found the trash due to poor quality knobs and displays, while another was given to a friend starting out on guitar who needed an apartment-friendly solution.

To be fair, all three units combined cost less than a third of what the AxeFX3 + FC and EV2 pedals cost, but with FM3 and FM9 Fractal has addressed mainstream budgets to bring the quality to more people.

When I was evaluating products to buy I noticed how many people were still using their 6-10 year old Fractal units. I saw some "rig rundowns" on Premier guitar's site with legacy Fractal processors still in use under heavy touring conditions, so I had no concerns about quality/durability. Leon Todd's "Should you buy it?" video sealed the deal, and It's been a great solution since then.

I agree. I did a considerable amount of research into not only the tones a modeler was capable of producing, but the quality of the design and construction of not only the main unit, but all the appurtenances that would be required, when I decided to replace my Headrush Pedalboard. No other modeler offered the range of superior tones AND the superior design and quality of construction that Fractal did. Of course, superior quality comes with a superior first cost…but, it’s the long-term life-cycle cost that is most important to me. All of my research and discussions with Fractal customers showed me that Fractal modelers and accessories are built to last a long-time and are supported and improved with constant updates for and equally long-time! That made Fractal units the most cost effective choice to move to…which I did. Now that I have had a few days to actually experience the Axe Fx III Turbo, the FC-12 and the EV-1 first-hand, I am sure that I made the right choice! Fractal has just added another life-time customer to its list of happy customers. Of course, ”life-time” may not have the same impact on the company in my case as some others‘ impacts might be…I’m 70! I have been a gigging and studio musician for over 50 years and have owned a huge number of instruments and various assorted pieces of gear…I can honestly say that the quality and value of Fractal products are some of those on the top of my list of great products that I have owned!
I'm 60 and the AxeFXIII Turbo is the answer I've been looking for all my playing life. Not sure where Cliff and the rest of the FAS team was in 1975 but I sure could've used it back then. Wait till you use AxeEdit and you add a shunt between effects, don't have to worry if it's TS or TRS, don't have to worry if there is a short in the cable, OR crawl around on your knees trouble shooting a pedal board!
My only other "modeler" was a Line6 PODxt...imagine that technology jump! Sold all my amps except a pristine 65 Deluxe Reverb and an late 80's Marshall mainly for sentimental reasons, kept a few high dollar pedals that I now have in a loop using Outputs 3 & 4 (rarely need to use) and my 20'X20' office doesn't look like Sweetwater threw up in it. Think about the money you and I could've saved if we'd had this in our 20's!

I'm 60 and the AxeFXIII Turbo is the answer I've been looking for all my playing life. Not sure where Cliff and the rest of the FAS team was in 1975 but I sure could've used it back then. Wait till you use AxeEdit and you add a shunt between effects, don't have to worry if it's TS or TRS, don't have to worry if there is a short in the cable, OR crawl around on your knees trouble shooting a pedal board!
My only other "modeler" was a Line6 PODxt...imagine that technology jump! Sold all my amps except a pristine 65 Deluxe Reverb and an late 80's Marshall mainly for sentimental reasons, kept a few high dollar pedals that I now have in a loop using Outputs 3 & 4 (rarely need to use) and my 20'X20' office doesn't look like Sweetwater threw up in it. Think about the money you and I could've saved if we'd had this in our 20's!
But even though it would have been cool to have the Axe Fx from the start of playing guitar, I do cherish the real world amps, pedals, racks and the such, that I learned through reading and trial and error. New kids starting out won't have that. Necessary? No. But definitely helpful.

But even though it would have been cool to have the Axe Fx from the start of playing guitar, I do cherish the real world amps, pedals, racks and the such, that I learned through reading and trial and error. New kids starting out won't have that. Necessary? No. But definitely helpful.
You both have great points!

As you pointed out TremontI, the struggle of learning all the complex ins and outs of setting up, troubleshooting and properly using analog gear was a right of passage we all had to go through on our journey to become professional musicians…it was part of the brotherhood that we so desperately wanted to belong to. We were journeymen learning a craft and the skills we have used our lifetimes.

I agree with you too Stephenclark1. As I got older, my ability, and desire, to cart around hundreds of pounds of gear became less and less. We now have essentially every conceivable amp, cabinet and effect we could ever have wanted in a tiny, light box…if someone would have told me that would be possible one day in the 1960s for a cost of a few amps, I would have told them they were crazy.

I am thrilled that I lived long enough to experience both the analog days and the magic digital days…I enjoyed the early days and am loving today! But, as I frequently lament, had I had today’s instrument and recording system technology much earlier who knows where my music career might have gone. I think the young musicians have the world by the tail if they understand that all the new tools are just that, tools, ane they are willing to put in the effort to learn the basics and build their chops over time by hard work.

Have a great day and fun making great music!

Last edited:
;)

+1 on the quality, been a fractal user since the standard came out, had them all, the AX8, the 2 etc, that combined wit hthe superb support from G66 in Europe makes it the most musical, reliable and advanced product i ever played on!

Back
Top Bottom