Closed Switch off cabinet block on OUT2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I think a very smart feature of FM3 (and AX8) is the possibility to copy the output 1 on output2. I usually use the output 1 to the PA and the output 2 to my personal monitor (FRFR cabinet). Sometimes I have to use as a personal monitor a guitar cabinet and I would need to switch off the cab block only on output 2. I could create specific presets to accomplish that. It would be in any case more convenient if it was possible to switch off the cabinet block globally only for the output 2. Currently the cab off options apply to both outputs. To have this option could avoid to duplicate my presets in order to have 2 versions of each: 1 version for PA+FRFR and 1 version for PA+Guitar Cabinet. To work on the grid would also force me to use the block cabinet as the last block of the grid (in order to have output 1 after the cabinet and out 2 before the cabinet block) while I usually position the mod and delay after the cab block. What do you think?

"Copy OUT1 to OUT2" means that the firmware simply copies the digital signal from the Output 1 block's output (grid) to the output 2 channel (without the grid).

Leaving out the Cab block processing means that it wouldn't be a copy anymore.

Also, as often has been discussed in the Axe-Fx forum sections, it isn't possible to subtract the cab modelling from the signal at the end of the grid when the Cab block isn't the last block. Because the cab modelling is "baked in" the signal.

Luckily, it doesn't matter where your put Delay and Mod. They sound the same before and after the cab, so you can place them before the Cab, and split the signal to the OUT 2 block.

So the best way to handle it in order to don't duplicate any preset would be to place the cabinet as last block and to position the output 2 just before the cabinet. Doing it in this way when I need to send the signal to an FRFR monitor I could simply activate the "copy" function. When I need to have different outputs (with and without cabinet) I should simply disable the copy Out1 to Out2. I'm still thinking if the position of the cabinet influence the sound. The cab is basically a sort of EQ block (for the sake of simplicity). My guess is that for effects like "shimmer" to cut all high and low frequencies as the cab block does could lead to a different result

Sorry I'm a prodigal son with FM3 so I'm learning again about FAS product after some years using other products. I could be one chapter behind on something but I'm a fast learner ;-) So the only way to handle it is to have 2 preset each: 1 for PA+FRFR and 1 PA+guitar cabinet. It's a pity there isn't a better way to have each preset working with both configurations

No, placing an Output 2 block in the preset means that’s you can’t use COPY anymore. This is mentioned in the manual, and wiki. No problem, because you don’t need to use COPY anymore in that scenario.

Regarding the placement of blocks:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cab_block#Position_of_the_Cab_block_on_the_grid
By the way if you're the author of the Yek's guide I want to say a big thank to you. They're some of the most interesting documents I've ever found in the guitar world. Even for those who don't own FAS products

Reactions: yek
Sorry I'm a prodigal son with FM3 so I'm learning again about FAS product after some years using other products. I could be one chapter behind on something but I'm a fast learner ;-) So the only way to handle it is to have 2 preset each: 1 for PA+FRFR and 1 PA+guitar cabinet. It's a pity there isn't a better way to have each preset working with both configurations

No, you can do it in one preset. Here’s the grid you need:

[IN] - [FX] - [AMP] - [FX] - [OUT2] - [CAB] - [OUT1]

This way the full signal WITH cab modeling (FRFR and FOH] goes through output 1, and the full signal WITHOUT cab modeling (power amp > cabinet) goes through output 2.

Yes sure. It's clear if I always would need this configuration. But I have both situations. Sometimes I need both signal with the cab block and sometimes I need the cab block only on output 1. There's no way to have both scenario in 1 preset since as you said the use of the OUT2 block disable the copy function

You can use a mixer or multiplexer block before the Out 2 block to switch between cab & no-cab rows. Assign an External Control to mixer levels or mplex input parameter, then use the Ext Ctrl's init. value in the I/O menu to choose the signal you want.

You can use a mixer or multiplexer block before the Out 2 block to switch between cab & no-cab rows. Assign an External Control to mixer levels or mplex input parameter, then use the Ext Ctrl's init. value in the I/O menu to choose the signal you want.
wow, I'm blown away. I need to think about it. It's a brand new approach. I never used the multiplexer block!

May I ask how this works? Going through the menus, I didn't find a way to change the initial state of an external in I/O and Midi/Remote.

May I ask how this works? Going through the menus, I didn't find a way to change the initial state of an external in I/O and Midi/Remote.
Initial values should be at the MIDI/Remote: General page according to the manual. (They're in the I/O menu on the Axe II; I forgot that this changed on the III/FM3.)

Initial values should be at the MIDI/Remote: General page according to the manual. (They're in the I/O menu on the Axe II; I forgot that this changed on the III/FM3.)
Okay, found it. Standard problem: didn't look through all the list. Very interesting for additional global options, indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom