Switch Jack Questions

alvarez1900

I keep running into a dead end on this and am confused. On the back of the FC-12 it says CTRL 1+2 so I would assume this supports a 2 button footswitch to control 2 functions on the Axe. The manual says dual buttons aren't supported but it seemed to be talking about the back of the Axe not the FC12. The footswitch manual says 6 switches in total which would make sense 4 from the FC12 and 2 from the back of the Axe.

Anytime I run a dual switch the 1st button works but the 2nd button acts as an on and off for the footswitch 1. I have tried multiple switches and even single switches going into a splitter.

Does anyone have any info on this? Not much on ctrl switches really on youtube or from forum searches.

Thanks!

It says Switches 1+2, not CTRL.

Switches connected here aren’t necessarily “control switches.” Those are specific functions in the FC. They can be “regular” switches as well, set in the Setup > MIDI menu mostly.

You probably want to look up Stand-In switches, because that’s how you can assign the FC range of functions to these much simpler switches. If you aren’t doing that, but trying to assign functions, that could be the problem.

Control Switch is a specific function - they aren’t all just “control switches.”

Not sure what “on and off for footswitch 1” means. Switch 1 is already an on/off typically. Can you describe this more?

I looked up videos on stand in switches but most of them just have 1 Boss FC1 connected showing how it works. I have that working perfectly. I would assume 1+2 means 2 switches can be used, this keeps failing.

Basically when I turn on switch 2 switch 1 goes completely dead. You can't turn it off or on and no functionality works. When I turn it off, Switch 1 works perfectly.

I looked up videos on stand in switches but most of them just have 1 Boss FC1 connected showing how it works. I have that working perfectly. I would assume 1+2 means 2 switches can be used, this keeps failing.

Basically when I turn on switch 2 switch 1 goes completely dead. You can't turn it off or on and no functionality works. When I turn it off, Switch 1 works perfectly.
I can’t think of a function in the unit that makes a switch disable another switch.

In the Stand In switch menu on the front panel, you’ve set FC#1 Switch 1 and 2 specifically to different “real” switches?

I have switch 1 set to bypass and enable a drive pedal for a lead boost. I have switch 2 set to enable fat switch in the amp.

I have switch 1 set to bypass and enable a drive pedal for a lead boost. I have switch 2 set to enable fat switch in the amp.
Do you have “Control Switch Link” set to “Exclusive” for any of your Control Switches in the Global Footswitch settings?

-Aaron

Dual switches are supported on the SWITCH jacks of the FC but not on the PEDAL jacks of the Axe-Fx III.

To use two switches at one of the jacks of an FC controller, you need to have one of the following setups:

1. TRS-to-TRS cable and a dual switch with one TRS jack.
2. TRS-to-dual-TS cable and a dual switch with two TS jacks (or two single switches each with a TS jack).

What kind of switch or switches are you using?
Are you by chance using a guitar cable instead of a TRS cable?

From there we can look at whether your switch is momentary or latching and how to make required settings accordingly.

Meanwhile, here's a test preset that uses FC#1 switches 1-4 to bypas/engage volume blocks 1-4, respectively. (The preset makes no sound)

Attachments

• FC1 Switch Test_20220809_091938.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
I have tried both ways. I have tried using a stereo splitter which should produce the same effect and single TS cables going from the switch to the splitter. I have 2 dual switches I have tried and 4 single switches and tried 3 different splitters to see if one of the combinations would work because obviously the splitters might have a short etc...

I tried to accommodate any variables that might have come up but keep hitting a wall with switch 2

Hook it up and try the test preset and let me know what you see on the layout grid when testing the switches individually.
Use the SWITCH 1+2 jack, but feel free to also test the SWITCH 3+4 jack.

I tried the reverse on the paremeter range also on switch 2 cause I noticed I had them reverse but still no dice. I'm gonna pick up a TRS to 2 TS cable today and test tonight. Hopefully it's just the splitters are not working right and somehow my dual footswitches are not compatible but thats a lot of variables not working lol

The test preset was attached to my forum post. A new cable sounds like the right idea at this point.

ok I hooked it up with the test preset and when switch 2 is on switch 1 works and both switches can be used to turn on and off volpan1 lol when switch 1 is off switch 2 wont control anything. They have to be linking somewhere. I am gonna try that cord maybe my dual switches just aren't working right and these splitters just are bad

With that switch, it will never work the way you want it to.
An impulse type switch must be used.
If I can clearly see the switches used in the picture, they do not give an impulse.
Here is an attached picture of the switches I use.
All kinds of connections work perfectly with these!
It will do what you set it to do!

Attachments

• DSCF6182.JPG
    DSCF6182.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom