Switch from EMGs to BareKnuckle... Help

jalonhall

Inspired
Hey dudes:

I am looking to buy an ESP Horizon NT7. I want to take the EMG 707s out and replace them with a set of covered Bare Knuckle Aftermaths. I have never done a switch from EMGs to passives before. Does anyone have any experience with doing so?
I'm wondering about a few things if anyone could help:
-Will there be any routing required?
-Will I need different pots/hardware knobs etc?
-Will there be gaps around the passive pickups once I change them? Can I place pickup rings if so?

If anyone could share with me any information they have about this I would greatly appreciate it. I'd just like to have a good idea of the end result before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

1. No, Active pickups are larger than passives.
2. You'll need different value pots.
3. Probably, Not huge, but noticeable. You could put pickup rings over it if it bothered you that much, Personally I wouldn't. But that's because I prefer the look of a guitar without rings.

Hey dudes:

I am looking to buy an ESP Horizon NT7. I want to take the EMG 707s out and replace them with a set of covered Bare Knuckle Aftermaths. I have never done a switch from EMGs to passives before. Does anyone have any experience with doing so?
I'm wondering about a few things if anyone could help:
-Will there be any routing required?
-Will I need different pots/hardware knobs etc?
-Will there be gaps around the passive pickups once I change them? Can I place pickup rings if so?

If anyone could share with me any information they have about this I would greatly appreciate it. I'd just like to have a good idea of the end result before I pull the trigger. Thanks!
PM me...

This is going to get moved to the lounge anyway.

However, great timing - I just ordered an NT-7 with BKP Blackhawks w/ coil tap. Yes, it needs a routing, yes it needs some extra flanging on the rings, yes its best left to the hands of a tech. Let me know where you're at and who you're ordering from and I can send you some tech info for your area/retailer.

Peace,
Mo

PS - stoked about this new incoming axe - I am sure you're in the same boat... They're SUCH sweet guitars man!! Congratz to you on your purchase!!

The EMG 707's should be quite a bit larger than BKPs, Even covered ones, should they not?

I fitted standard sized passives in a EMG707 route before. I bent the tabs of the pickup inwards a little then fitted them into a plastic pickup cover which was the same size as the existing EMG707's.

If you choose the route the guitar for the tabs, I think there will be some empty space as the EMG's are a bigger route (minus the tabs)

Thanks for the feedback guys! I plan to make this purchase pretty soon. And luckily a Guitar Center is opening in my hometown this month so I'll let those dudes deal with the techy junk. Hopefully the gaps won't bother me too much. Thanks for the comments!

Depending on what style of Bareknuckles you ordered i.e. Four wire or two wire.

You will need the following for two wire install:
1-2 500k pots 1 for tone one for volume
2-Stock 3 way switch recomend buying new
3-recomend buying new output jack
4- Custom Pickup Rings for 7-string ( forgot the name of site where I found Them )
5- router or small round rasp for air grinder or drill (do not recomend this if you never done this before)
6- Instead of routing or cutting bend the tab
IF NO PICKUP RINGS ARE USED
you will need a small drill bit
and small 1" phillips head screws
You will need these to drill the pickup tab holes a hair bigger and then use the foam from the pickup box double it up and then squish the pickups on down the hole and then use the screws you bought to secure pickups
the foam will act like the spring on pickup rings so they dont flop around in there you will see when you take out the EMGs
NOW FOR THE FOUR WIRE YOU WILL NEED EVERYTHING MENTIONED ABOVE EXCEPT YOU WILL NEED EITHER A 5 WAY SWITCH FOR THE EXTRA 2 WIRES OR A COIL TAPPING TONE POT

I Have coil tapping wiring diagrams and a 5 way switch type if you need them the coil tapping one can be found in the bareknuckle support section the Ibanez 5 way style wiring diagram is incorrect.

I have an ESP Horizon Standard FR-II I did this to with Duncan's though. I put EVH 500k speed knobs in it and every thing fit and worked great. It is not a difficult job if you know how to solder. At least with Duncan's on a 6 string. The Seymour Duncan site has almost every wiring diagram you could think of for reference anyway. I replaced the pickup rings and the holes matched up fine. I'm wanting to put a Ghost piezo system in it so the battery box will eventually be put back to good use.

I have an ESP Horizon Standard FR-II I did this to with Duncan's though. I put EVH 500k speed knobs in it and every thing fit and worked great. It is not a difficult job if you know how to solder. At least with Duncan's on a 6 string. The Seymour Duncan site has almost every wiring diagram you could think of for reference anyway. I replaced the pickup rings and the holes matched up fine. I'm wanting to put a Ghost piezo system in it so the battery box will eventually be put back to good use.
The FR-II had a different format active EMG compared to the 707s. It's an easier install on the FR-II. The NT-7 does need a lil' TLC in the active-to-passive installation department if you want it done cleanly and tight.

I'd personally not leave it to the apes at GC. But to each their own.

Mo

Back
Top Bottom