SVT Bright Switch

TedEH

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already - I did some searching and didn't quite come up with the answer.

Does the SV Bass 1/2 bright switch do anything? I ask because it shows up on the tone page, and I was under the impression that controls would only appear there if they're used by the model. To my ears I'm not hearing anything change when I flip that switch. I noticed that in the Porta-bass model the switch really works, and I've also got some familiarity with Ampeg stuff (I've got an SVT-IIP) so I've got a rough idea what that switch should sound like.

I saw another thread that suggested a way to simulate it with eq, which is fine if that's the case, but I was unsure if this is the intent because of how the switch shows up on the tone page.

On a fair number of Ampeg models, the bright switch is on the back of the treble control and is activated by turning treble all the way up and past the 'click'. Maybe it is one of those and the behavior was modeled?

So I did some more playing around today and I think I just dialed things in a weird way. I was using an FM3 into a Crown power amp into a real bass cab, and wasn't hearing much difference, but I had the master high and the drive low. Today, I'm playing through the cab block into a PC, and I swapped the master to be low and the drive to be high, suddenly I'm hearing the difference.

I guess that's on me for not noodling around much with the model.

After that previous comment, I swapped back to using a real cab and.... the switch seems really subtle again. Using an IR I hear the change almost immediately, but with the cab you can barely tell the difference. I have the tweeter on this cab set pretty low though, so maybe the modelled version of the bright switch just sits at a higher frequency than the IIP I'm used to or something. Odd.

Back
Top Bottom