Supported number of (physical) guitar cabinets

GreatGreen

Power User
So I was just thinking about the possibilities for running a device like the Axe-Fx 3 into tube poweramps and what the extent of its capabilities are in that department. Specifically, I was thinking about how many guitar cabs you could reasonably use without blowing anything up to amplify the Axe-Fx 3, using only the Axe-Fx 3, tube poweramps, and speaker cable, with no other signal splitting gear or anything like that.

So anyway, let's start with the tube poweramps. Most tube poweramps are basically setup to be dual mono, or in other words two (mostly) independent tube amps in one chassis, with the ability to route a single input to both power sections. Take the Fryette 2:90:2 or 2:50:2 for example. You have two channels, A and B, each with a selectable output impedance and two speaker outs, and channel A's input automatically routes to both the output of channel A and B if B doesn't have an input. The lowest impedance setting for each set of outputs is 4 ohms.

Now let's talk guitar cabinets. How many guitar cabs can be connected to each channel of one of these poweramps? Well, if you have 16 ohm guitar cabs with parallel outs, you can wire them in pairs of two, creating a 2-cab pair at 8 ohms. From there, you can take 2 pairs of these groups of 2 cabs and connect them to channel A, creating a 4 ohm load. In other words, a single channel of the stereo power amp can drive up to 4 different 16 ohm cabs. So, one poweramp channel wired to 4 ohms will comfortably drive 4 independent 16 ohm 4x12 cabs. 8 cabs per poweramp.

Moving on, the Axe-Fx 3 has 6 separate 1/4th inch output jacks, L/R jacks for outs 1, 3, and 4. So, this means you can route the signal to up to 6 separate sources at once, in this case stereo tube poweramps.

So... with each of the Axe-Fx 3's 1/4th inch outputs wired to its own dedicated stereo tube amp, each amp capable of driving up to 8 cabs each, you have the ability to drive:

up to 48 guitar cabs
simultaneously with no need for additional signal splitting gear.

Basically what I'm saying is that even if you go the modeling route, you never have to be at the mercy of the soundman, really.

Last edited:
Some cabinets have daisy chain in/outs

so the number is infinite

I've played in a few big arenas and baseball stadiums- and my amps never been past 2

if a band showed up to my stage with the intent of being louder than the proper sound system there, none of the band would come through my system. ;)

Back
Top Bottom