Super Super Reverb

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
I know others here have raved about the Super Reverb, but good golly Miss Molly that amp is so great. I have it run with the super reverb cabinet. I backed off the bass a bit (set it to 5). I usually use two drives (drive 1 & 2) and use IA's to turn them on or off. I have drive 1 set to the Fulltone Drive, and drive 2 set the the Zen drive. Man I love that tone. One of my first real amps was a Super Reverb. Played with the Shadows of Night (GLORIA). The guy used my Super Reverb, put the tremolo full on and cranked the volume to 11. Blew my transformer. That was the moment when I learned that brown smoke is generally bad.

Thanks Cliff and FAS team for making such great amp models. I had not thought about that gig and the dumba$$ that trashed my amp until the Super Reverb model brought me back the great tone that my original Super Reverb gave me. Now if I could just get my teenage body back. Maybe there will be a time warp knob with FX-III. I might break a finger mashing that. ;-)

Last edited:
What I love doing with the Super is the A/B thing, where the A is set up to be a low/mid gain rhythmish sound and B amp has 6db boost in front of it (and input level set to around 2, some upping of the gain as well). I set the tones/output level to work with a bridge pickup (of a les paul.. the guitar does matter with the Axe-Fx. yay).. Sweet blues solo type of tone if you want something a little bit on the dirty side that has a good amount of sustain and sing (and if you're at gig volume you can get a very mild old Clapton type of feedback with positioning). Seems to works well for some of the blues things we do.

Much of the "tone" in the Super is due to the massiiive output transformers secondary wire that has 2 Ohms impedance. You have four 10" Jensen/CTS/Oxford 8 Ohm speakers paralled into 2 Ohms.
Maybe one of the hardest amps to mimick.

Have you guys tried out the settings Cliff suggested for taking it back to stock. I always thought that the SR didn't sound like the early ones I had. Bought a '67 brand new in......1967. Cliff said he modeled one that had been modded (maybe by Diaz...not sure). Anyway, I followed his suggestions to get it back to stock and I like it much better.

It has less gain that way. You may like it modded. It's all personal taste. But, I'm diggin' the original.

Have you guys tried out the settings Cliff suggested for taking it back to stock. I always thought that the SR didn't sound like the early ones I had. Bought a '67 brand new in......1967. Cliff said he modeled one that had been modded (maybe by Diaz...not sure). Anyway, I followed his suggestions to get it back to stock and I like it much better.

It has less gain that way. You may like it modded. It's all personal taste. But, I'm diggin' the original.

Link to stock settings?

There was a couple of other things, too. I searched and couldn't find the one where Cliff listed the changes.

I know others here have raved about the Super Reverb, but good golly Miss Molly that amp is so great. I have it run with the super reverb cabinet. I backed off the bass a bit (set it to 5). I usually use two drives (drive 1 & 2) and use IA's to turn them on or off. I have drive 1 set to the Fulltone Drive, and drive 2 set the the Zen drive. Man I love that tone. One of my first real amps was a Super Reverb. Played with the Shadows of Night (GLORIA). The guy used my Super Reverb, put the tremolo full on and cranked the volume to 11. Blew my transformer. That was the moment when I learned that brown smoke is generally bad.

Thanks Cliff and FAS team for making such great amp models. I had not thought about that gig and the dumba$$ that trashed my amp until the Super Reverb model brought me back the great tone that my original Super Reverb gave me. Now if I could just get my teenage body back. Maybe there will be a time warp knob with FX-III. I might break a finger mashing that. ;-)

My first real amp was my fathers 1965 Super Reverb that he used in The Gant's. They also recorded Gloria in the 60's. Crazy stuff.

Back
Top Bottom