Summerize 4 CABS

blackland

Hi,

I did lots of IRs myself in the past. Now, after 2 years of tweaking, I have found my perfect sound. The preset is runing 1 Cab-Block with all 4 CABS active. Each of the 4 CABS is little tweaked within the block parameters for each cab (gain, pan etc.) . Since I am happy with the result I would like to save some CPU usage (which I need for other purposes). I tried shooting an IR of the block (pink noise/ white noise in synth, tone matching block).

The resulting IR was pretty disappointing to my ears, there was a feeling of much less resolution and separation in the resulting cab IR than in the sum signal of the original cab block.
I think this could be partly connected to the fact that I had used slight stereo panning in the cab block and the resulting IR is mono, but I think that fact alone cannot be responsible for the (relatively) big difference between the results. Its not like salt and suggar, but the difference is definetely audible.

Would I be able to tweak the 4 CAB IRS in the CAB block in CABLAB with same parameters like in the Axe and export a better IR as result (or maybe two, one for each side of the stereo field, so I could maybe use 2 instead o 4)? I would consider buying CABLAB if this would be definetely possible and would provide me a result which would be closer to my original.

Hi,

I did lots of IRs myself in the past. Now, after 2 years of tweaking, I have found my perfect sound. The preset is runing 1 Cab-Block with all 4 CABS active. Each of the 4 CABS is little tweaked within the block parameters for each cab (gain, pan etc.) . Since I am happy with the result I would like to save some CPU usage (which I need for other purposes). I tried shooting an IR of the block (pink noise/ white noise in synth, tone matching block).

The resulting IR was pretty disappointing to my ears, there was a feeling of much less resolution and separation in the resulting cab IR than in the sum signal of the original cab block.
I think this could be partly connected to the fact that I had used slight stereo panning in the cab block and the resulting IR is mono, but I think that fact alone cannot be responsible for the (relatively) big difference between the results. Its not like salt and suggar, but the difference is definetely audible.

Would I be able to tweak the 4 CAB IRS in the CAB block in CABLAB with same parameters like in the Axe and export a better IR as result (or maybe two, one for each side of the stereo field, so I could maybe use 2 instead o 4)? I would consider buying CABLAB if this would be definetely possible and would provide me a result which would be closer to my original.
Try your original 4 cabs with everything panned center. Does that sound the same as your combined one?

This feature would be a great addon to AxeEdit, from the Cab-Block save/export as new IR.
But this would take away the extra $$ for cab-lab and the ability to rip the factorys cabs.
However from user perspective it would be more user-friendly and saves some CPU for other stuff.

Try your original 4 cabs with everything panned center. Does that sound the same as your combined one?
no it doesnt. It is little hard to explain but the combined IR sounds little less brilliant and detailed.

I think the problem besides of panning comes from the pink/white noise and sample/integration time and this somehow flattens out the signal.
I would prefer just fft-ing the IR and doing it just mathematically with convolution,so there would not happen too much error/loss by sampling/averaging. Performing this programmatically is not a problem,I was writing some code a while ago which can do this easily,but since I was little manipulation the individual cab IR in the AXEIII itself, with those unknown "FAS-parameters" the result would be different of course from just a convoluttion of those 4 IRs.
Thats why I asked about CABLAB. if it would let me access the same parameters as the AXE for each IR and them adding them, I would go forit.
If it just lets me convolute the 4 IR to one without this possibility it wouldn´t help me.

Back
Top Bottom