Suhr Thornbuckers in a PRS Custom 24

Oh they are consistent - they ship very high from factory in my experience. Never had any staff anywhere ask to alter the pickups in any way either haha.
Really? I’ve seen some so low they’re below the pickup rings. It wasn’t common, but it wasn’t unusual in my year long quest on the way to my Slash LP. I agree they’re typically very high though.

Well the price was almost $1k so they dropped it to what must be a great deal lol. Enjoy your pickups, I am sure yours are better.

I actually think it's just vibe/mojo and that I couldn't pick them out blind. But, I do enjoy them. I also don't plan on doing it again.

Really? I’ve seen some so low they’re below the pickup rings. It wasn’t common, but it wasn’t unusual in my year long quest on the way to my Slash LP. I agree they’re typically very high though.

I think I've seen a CS that low once, but I haven't seen a normal USA one like that.

IDK...they have to install them and theoretically do a basic setup, right? It only takes a couple more seconds to put them at a consistent height. They already take the time to PLEK every guitar before it leaves the factory, or so they claimed a few years ago. It makes sense they'd set them all the same, even if it's not to everyone's taste.

IDK...they have to install them and theoretically do a basic setup, right? It only takes a couple more seconds to put them at a consistent height. They already take the time to PLEK every guitar before it leaves the factory, or so they claimed a few years ago. It makes sense they'd set them all the same, even if it's not to everyone's taste.
I did play several Murphy Labs over the course of the year as well, so it's possible that those were the ones that were different. They were always out of my price range, although they were almost always stellar instruments. One of them was wild though. The neck was relic'd so poorly that your hand got stuck in the grooves and you couldn't easily move around on the neck. It was sticky like a bad poly finish and felt like a cat had clawed all over it. One of the guys at the store said they'd had the guitar since Murphy Lab started up, and they figured they'd never sell it. That was last fall. The guitar is still there, or at least it was as of a couple weeks ago when I was last in. I've seen the price vary, but it looks like normal price is about $12k and the sale price will dip as low as $9k (CAD).

Anyway. I absolutely love Gibsons. They're just so darn fun, so easy to play for my right hand (something about the angle of the bridge and the strings and the neck), etc. But I am dying to play a few McCartys and DGTs for comparison's sake.

Hey all! I've had my Custom 24 (Core) for a bit over a month now and I don't really get on with the 85/15 pickups. (Happy for those of you that do, of course.) I'm looking at swapping them for Suhr Thornbuckers.

In an effort to make this conversation easier, here's what I dislike about them:

• People talk about how PRS pickups have extended highs and lows, but I don't hear that. I do hear a lack of mids, though, which could cause some to say the highs and lows are extended. Turning up the mids on any amp just sort of makes it worse.
  • The low end is squishy, with a lack of attack. I'm a very aggressive picker (I cut my teeth learning to play like James Hetfield), I use Jazz IIIs for my picks, and the attack on these is just kind of muddy. The tone of the low end is ok, but so much of how I use the sixth string is about the attack.
  • The high end is rolled off in a way I don't find particularly useful. As a consequence, I'm always adding a lot more presence or treble the amps than I'd like, and I feel I have a hard time cutting in the mix with the PRS (compared to my LP, which is very bright, or my Tele, which is also very bright). A side effect of this is that I feel the tone knob is useless; I might as well disconnect it from the circuit entirely.
One last note before I move on: folks talk about how the 85/15 is high output, but compared to my Slash Les Paul (which sounds like it has a built-in preamp), I don't feel like this is high output. It's not low, but it's also not high. (And compared to my EMG-equipped JEM clone, it's very low output.)

Here's what I do like about the PRS pickups:

• There is clarity here that I really enjoy, especially in the single coil modes. Clear as a bell. Consequently, really clean sounds are wonderful.
  • The single coil modes are also excellent.

Most of the time, though, I'm on the bridge or neck in humbucker mode, and I just don't jive with it.

I'm considering putting in Thornbuckers. I like that you can split them (which rules out the Lollar Imperials, for example), and I like their output level (a little more output than 50s PAFs, but not very aggressive, still sparkly clean if need be). And to be honest, they sound more like a Les Paul to me, with a bright and crisp high-end on the bridge, air in the treble range, and good attack in the lower registers, which is my general preference. I found this Youtube video, which went over a sound demo of Thornbuckers in a Custom 24 into a Boogie Mk V:25, an amp I own and am very familiar with, and I think it sounds fantastic. But I have a few questions:

1. Has anybody put Thornbuckers in their Custom 24? Do you like them? Is the aforementioned video a good reference?
  2. I don't think I want the Thornbucker +, because I would prefer lower output. But what is the difference between the Thornbucker and the Thornbucker II? And for a PRS, do I need 50mm or 53mm pickups?
  3. What would be the best way to handle splits? The Custom 24 ships with the following, from Positions 1-5: Neck Humbucker, both split, both humbuckers, split bridge and humbucking neck, and bridge humbucker. I assume the same configuration with the Thornbuckers would probably sound like poop, but don't know what I should ask for when I bring the guitar to my tech.
One last note, then I'm done: I don't know how to solder, and I don't want to spend thousands on this, so I'd prefer for this decision to be made once and then done. So I'm not looking for a shopping list of pickups :) but if you think the Thornbuckers are a bad call for somebody like me, I am all ears.

Thanks everybody! Sorry for the novel.

Haven't read the replies yet but I have a PRS CE-24 that came with 85/15 pickups and replaced them with Thornbuckers. To me it's a slight improvement overall with some pros and cons.

I think the 85/15 pickups are fine but the Thornbuckers are definitely more traditional sounding to me. The 85/15 do have a bit of a hi-fi sound and they are articulate and split well. But I found the bridge pickup to be a bit bright and neck pickup to be too hot and bassy overall.

The Thornbuckers are more balanced and a little lower output overall. The bridge pickup has a medium wind PAF tone with a little more bite to the midrange. The neck pickup is like low wind PAF a little more single coil feel and tone. The middle position has tons of quack and sparkle compared to others I've tried.

Downside is they can be too polite for some kinds of music. Tonally they are really close to Lollar Imperials in that they are balanced with nice clarity but a little lower output. They may not have enough balls for heavy stuff. They don't split as well as the 85/15 but aren't bad split at all. Better than what I've heard from say the Duncan Jazz or 59.

I like the Thornbuckers for an all around guitar tone. I have SSV's in my other PRS which have a little more output and a little more aggressive sound but still not like a JB or Super Distortion or anything. I've also tried Aldrich pickups which were way too hot. I would like to try the SSH+ bridge pickup at some point which is hot but not as much as the Aldrich. I think the SSV/SSH+ combo used in the Suhr Modern guitars is great for heavier stuff and the Thornbuckers can be really good for people that like lower output pickups.

@nathan_393 cs have a different ring size si that may have been the difference?
Ah. That makes sense, yes. I always forget about these little oddities.

Haven't read the replies yet but I have a PRS CE-24 that came with 85/15 pickups and replaced them with Thornbuckers. To me it's a slight improvement overall with some pros and cons.

I think the 85/15 pickups are fine but the Thornbuckers are definitely more traditional sounding to me. The 85/15 do have a bit of a hi-fi sound and they are articulate and split well. But I found the bridge pickup to be a bit bright and neck pickup to be too hot and bassy overall.

The Thornbuckers are more balanced and a little lower output overall. The bridge pickup has a medium wind PAF tone with a little more bite to the midrange. The neck pickup is like low wind PAF a little more single coil feel and tone. The middle position has tons of quack and sparkle compared to others I've tried.

Downside is they can be too polite for some kinds of music. Tonally they are really close to Lollar Imperials in that they are balanced with nice clarity but a little lower output. They may not have enough balls for heavy stuff. They don't split as well as the 85/15 but aren't bad split at all. Better than what I've heard from say the Duncan Jazz or 59.

I like the Thornbuckers for an all around guitar tone. I have SSV's in my other PRS which have a little more output and a little more aggressive sound but still not like a JB or Super Distortion or anything. I've also tried Aldrich pickups which were way too hot. I would like to try the SSH+ bridge pickup at some point which is hot but not as much as the Aldrich. I think the SSV/SSH+ combo used in the Suhr Modern guitars is great for heavier stuff and the Thornbuckers can be really good for people that like lower output pickups.
For my needs personally, something low output is fine in this guitar. But a hotter bridge (something like the Thornbucker+) might be good? I already feel like the 85/15 are fairly low output, though, at least compared to my LP (which I know is hotter than most).

Also FWIW I tried a ton of pickups in different guitars and the Thornbuckers are awesome for a modern take on a PAF sound. I even compared them to vintage T-Top pickups which are really bright and clear and I kept the Suhrs and sold the Gibsons. I've tried others like Seth Lovers, Lollar Imperials, Wolfetones, tons of them. The Suhrs are keepers for me.

The one pickup I really liked and kind of wish I kept was a set of Bare Knuckle Mules. Those were in the same ballpark but had more of a vintage honk or chirp to them. Not as good middle position clarity but they were really great sounding. I now have a set of Wolfetones in my Les Paul and swapped out the magnets for alnico 4 to get a similar kind of sound. Too bad BKP are like $400 a set nowadays.

I did play several Murphy Labs over the course of the year as well, so it's possible that those were the ones that were different. They were always out of my price range, although they were almost always stellar instruments. One of them was wild though. The neck was relic'd so poorly that your hand got stuck in the grooves and you couldn't easily move around on the neck. It was sticky like a bad poly finish and felt like a cat had clawed all over it. One of the guys at the store said they'd had the guitar since Murphy Lab started up, and they figured they'd never sell it. That was last fall. The guitar is still there, or at least it was as of a couple weeks ago when I was last in. I've seen the price vary, but it looks like normal price is about $12k and the sale price will dip as low as $9k (CAD).

Heh.

Yeah....I honestly don't understand the fuss about Murphy Lab. I've played some good ones, but they don't seem "special" compared to other CS guitars to me...just relic'd (which I could take or leave but won't pay that much for)...often way over the top...and apparently the finishes were really fragile for a while. IDK if they fixed that. But, I've seen player grade vintage Gibsons that are in better shape than a lot of the ML guitars. At least one of the 1960 Juniors I've played was cheaper than a ML heavy aged Junior.

IDK...I'm not sold on a lot of the finishes. But, I also haven't seen a VOS in person since the first time I played a 50s LP. Maybe they're more like what I "want". But, based on what I've seen lately...there are a lot of Heritage H-150s from different lines that look more "right" compared to a vintage LP than the ML guitars I've seen in person.

Anyway. I absolutely love Gibsons. They're just so darn fun, so easy to play for my right hand (something about the angle of the bridge and the strings and the neck), etc. But I am dying to play a few McCartys and DGTs for comparison's sake.

Agreed, completely.

I really like my S2 594, though it is a different animal. I've only played an SE DGT, and I wasn't impressed. But...I'm apparently weird - I've never been all that impressed with an SE. Maybe I'm just a weird kind of snob. But, I like my MIJ strat better than the SE Silver Sky too...so it's not a US vs Asia thing.

Ah. That makes sense, yes. I always forget about these little oddities.

For my needs personally, something low output is fine in this guitar. But a hotter bridge (something like the Thornbucker+) might be good?

I've had Thornbucker, Thornbucker+, SSV, and SSV+ in the same guitar. Also briefly had an SSH. There's little difference between the Thornbucker/SSV and the Plus versions to my ear. Mostly just the different magnets.

If you want a hotter bridge I'd look at the SSH or SSH+ honestly. It's more output but also more low end. Overwinding a PAF style pickup up to 10k just keeps adding more mids.

I wonder how they compare to the 85/15S pickups that came in my Standard 24 SE.

I actually really like those. I haven't heard them split (pulled the shaft out of the tone pot/switch trying to get the knob off to align it better), but they do series/parallel switching nicely....

They're a tad cooler and less wooly than the 245S pickups (which sound just like the pickups in a Burny LP I wish I still owned), so I grabbed another pair used and swapped them into my 245 SE. They give the guitar a bit more clarity to go with its massive WHOMP in the lows....

Last edited:
I've had Thornbucker, Thornbucker+, SSV, and SSV+ in the same guitar. Also briefly had an SSH. There's little difference between the Thornbucker/SSV and the Plus versions to my ear. Mostly just the different magnets.

If you want a hotter bridge I'd look at the SSH or SSH+ honestly. It's more output but also more low end. Overwinding a PAF style pickup up to 10k just keeps adding more mids.
I haven’t heard the SSH, so take that for what you will, but Suhr’s description of them sounds like how I’d describe what the 85/15 bridge pickup aims to do: a bunch of mids, vintage voiced but with a modern twist, etc. am I off base?

I haven’t heard the SSH, so take that for what you will, but Suhr’s description of them sounds like how I’d describe what the 85/15 bridge pickup aims to do: a bunch of mids, vintage voiced but with a modern twist, etc. am I off base?

Honestly I'm not sure, the SSH was in a Charvel long ago and I still have it but drilled the lugs out. I've been meaning to fix it and try it in the other guitar but I'm kinda lazy.

The 85/15 is alnico 2 magnet with 42ga wire wound to about 8.5k.
The SSH is alnico 5 magnet with 43ga wire wound to about 13k.
The TB+ is alnico 4 magnet with 42ga wire wound to about 9k.

What kind of music are you playing?

OP needs to find a dragon I bridge. My a/b is somewhere..
OP needs to learn to solder before going down this road ;)

@Jarick mostly rock. Sometimes I use it for delay-drenched worship stuff. Honestly though, now that I've played with pole pieces and pickup heights, I'm pretty happy with the 85/15.

OP needs to learn to solder before going down this road ;)

@Jarick mostly rock. Sometimes I use it for delay-drenched worship stuff. Honestly though, now that I've played with pole pieces and pickup heights, I'm pretty happy with the 85/15.

Glad to hear! I did swap the 85/15 back in a few times.

I saw the 85/15 pickups are supposed to be 7.5k in the neck and 8.3k in the bridge, I think mine is closer to 8k in the neck. If it were 7.5k or a little less I probably would not mess with them.

I think if you do go the pickup swap route, I would try the Thornbucker with the Plus bridge, and then go with the 53mm version in the bridge. That's what I have. Just know that the Suhr pickups have slightly aged/degaussed magnets from what I recall so they aren't as hot as you think!

Also my PRS sounded great with practically any pickup. That is not the case with my Gibson or most other guitars. Good bones...

Highly recommend picking up one of the standard orange Weller soldering stations (about 50 bucks) and watching some YouTube videos. It's not that hard at all. Just need a decently steady hand and ability to read instructions.

My dad was an EE and had me learn by buying some kids electronics project. I think I soldered components on a board that had R2D2 on it (back in the early 90's when Star Wars was still for geeks). Looks like there's a bunch of stuff on Amazon for $10-15 if you want to learn.

(I dont solder despite owning a good station)
Same.. I make a mess of it. When I was young, I didn't mind at all. Now my eyes are old and my hand isn't as steady as it needs to be. I've been lucky enough to have a guy that will do it same day (for a fee of course).

Same.. I make a mess of it. When I was young, I didn't mind at all. Now my eyes are old and my hand isn't as steady as it needs to be. I've been lucky enough to have a guy that will do it same day (for a fee of course).

I still do it but it takes me twice as long as it used to.

I have the SSV+ in a Suhr Standard Custom I had them build for me. It has an HSS pickup configuration. It is my main player. How would you describe the difference between the SSV+ and the two Thornbuker versions you tried in that guitar? I have been very curious as to the differences in those, not that I dislike the SSV+ in any way in this guitar.

Back
Top Bottom