Suhr Standard Plus

walnutzz

Inspired
Hi all. I've spent most of my playing life sticking to humbuckers and rosewood fretboards. Lately, I've been experimenting more with splitting the coils and trying different presets I wouldn't normally gravitate to. I'm finding myself itching for a strat-style guitar to give me a crisper, more percussive sound. I've done quite a bit of research (mostly Suhr, Fender Ultra, and PRS Silver Sky to name a few), and I keep coming back to the Suhr Standard Plus. Anyone have experience with these that could share some color? Thanks a lot. Below is an example of something I'm eyeing. Thanks a lot.

https://reverb.com/item/40821030-suhr-standard-plus-faded-trans-whale-blue-burst-free-shipping

I was on a similar quest over the last year and bought several guitars to try; Suhr, Fender Ultra Luxe, and Tom Anderson.

For me, the Suhr Standard won out. I have three of them now. Here's a pic of one of them.

I'll write more later this evening when I have some free time.
View attachment 109954View attachment 109956
Beautiful guitar. I assume the humbucker is aftermarket or custom rather than stock at the time?

No, I understand they ship HSS. That specific H is different than any I’ve come across while shopping around, that’s all I meant. Thanks for your reply.

I was on a similar quest over the last year and bought several guitars to try; Suhr, Fender Ultra Luxe, and Tom Anderson.

For me, the Suhr Standard won out. I have three of them now. Here's a pic of one of them.

I'll write more later this evening when I have some free time.
View attachment 109954View attachment 109956
When I was looking for a strat-style, I was buying and trying because no shops in my area carry what I wanted.

Of the guitars I tried, the Tom Andersons were the best overall - build and looks. However, I never would have felt comfortable with a Drop Top playing out. I'd have been too worried about something happening to it accidents or getting swiped. So, I ended-up not holding on to them.

I tried several Fender Ultras, including two Luxe. The regular Ultras were great guitars, but I really wanted stainless steel frets, so tried a couple of the Luxe version. Both suffered from poor QC that should have been caught at the factory or during the retailer's 55-point inspection that they brag about. I won't mention the name of the retailer here, but I've posted about here before.

I tried a couple of Suhr Modern Customs that were great, but a little too far from the strat shape for me and I prefer a 22-fret neck.

The guitars that I tried that I liked the most by far were the Suhr Standards. Maybe not "the best" to some, but just right for me. I like the slightly downsized body, the neck profile, and the fret size ("heavy", slightly smaller than jumbo).

The guitar pictured is a Standard Plus Select from Humbucker Music. BTW: I got a better deal buying direct instead of Reverb and no sales tax. This guitar has a mahogany body and neck. The top is flamed maple and the fretboard is Ebony. The bridge is Wilkinson with locking saddles and stays in tune well. The pickups are V60s and Thornbucker Plus. I like the sound of these pickups a lot and the #4 position sounds good, not exactly what you'd get with an SSS guitar, but quacky enough for me - might be a bit closer to "true" strat on a guitar with an Ash or Alder body.

I have three Suhr Standards now, that's how much I like them. They just feel "right" to me. I'm selling the other electrics I have, including the Knaggs in my avatar.

HTH

Last edited:
Beautiful guitar. I assume the humbucker is aftermarket or custom rather than stock at the time?
Thanks! I posted more info about this guitar here in this thread.

That's the pickup that came with the guitar, a Thornbucker Plus that I really like - among my favorite HBs I've ever played.

When I was looking for a strat-style, I was buying and trying because no shops in my area carry what I wanted.

Of the guitars I tried, the Tom Andersons were the best overall - build and looks. However, I never would have felt comfortable with a Drop Top playing out. I'd have been too worried about something happening to it accidents or getting swiped. So, I ended-up not holding on to them.

I tried several Fender Ultras, including two Luxe. The regular Ultras were grea5 guitars, but I really wanted stainless steel frets, so tried a couple of the Luxe version. Both suffered from poor QC that should have been caught at the factory or during the retailer's 55-point inspection that they brag about. I won't mention the name of the retailer here, but I've posted about here before.

I tried a couple of Duhr Modern Customs that were great, but a little too far from the strat shape for me and I prefer a 22-fret neck.

The guitars that I tried that I liked the most by far were the Suhr Standards. Maybe not "the best" to some, but just right for me. I like the slightly downsized body, the neck profile, and the fret size ("heavy", slightly smaller than jumbo).

The guitar pictured is a Standard Plus Select from Humbucker Music. BTW: I got a better deal buying direct instead of Reverb and no sales tax. This guitar has a mahogany body and neck. The top is flamed maple and the fretboard is Ebony. The bridge is Wilkinson with locking saddles and staysin tune well. The pickups are V60s and Thornbucker Plus. I like the sound of these pickups a lot and the #4 position sounds good, not exactly what you'd get with an SSS guitar, but quacky enough for me - might be a bit on a guitar with an Ash or Alder body.

I have three Suhr Standards now, that's how much I like them. They just feel "right" to me. I'm selling the other electrics I have, including the Knaggs in my avatar.

HTH
Really appreciate this extra color. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

I have a Suhr standard (solid color, alder body) and I like it quite a bit. The even C sim neck is my favorite profile of any guitar I own. It has the SSH+ in the bridge which is a fairly hot pickup and the V60 pickups in the neck / middle are bright and glassy. It also has the silent single coil system so I never have to deal with 60 cycle hum. Consistent with the Suhr reputation, the fret work is flawless.

I have a Suhr standard (solid color, alder body) and I like it quite a bit. The even C sim neck is my favorite profile of any guitar I own. It has the SSH+ in the bridge which is a fairly hot pickup and the V60 pickups in the neck / middle are bright and glassy. It also has the silent single coil system so I never have to deal with 60 cycle hum. Consistent with the Suhr reputation, the fret work is flawless.
Agree with you on all points, that's been my experience, too.

If you haven’t ordered anything yet, I’d recommend looking at the Xotic XSC-2 guitars if you like the 60s sounding guitars. They’re SSH with a pair of 60s-style single coils in the neck and middle, and a PAF humbucker at the bridge, with stamped steel saddles, so that combination gives the guitar an older sound, plus they use roasted maple necks for stability.

Their XSC-1 series are more 50s sounding. I have their RV-50 pickups in both my Strats along with Callaham stamped steel saddles which are very similar, and they both sing.

They’re the only guitars that tempt me these days.

https://xotic.us/guitars/xsc-california-classic/

I tried several Fender Ultras, including two Luxe. The regular Ultras were grea5 guitars, but I really wanted stainless steel frets, so tried a couple of the Luxe version. Both suffered from poor QC that should have been caught at the factory or during the retailer's 55-point inspection that they brag about. I won't mention the name of the retailer here, but I've posted about here before.

I tried a couple of Duhr Modern Customs that were great, but a little too far from the strat shape for me and I prefer a 22-fret neck.

The guitar pictured is a Standard Plus Select from Humbucker Music. BTW: I got a better deal buying direct instead of Reverb and no sales tax. This guitar has a mahogany body and neck. The top is flamed maple and the fretboard is Ebony. The bridge is Wilkinson with locking saddles and staysin tune well. The pickups are V60s and Thornbucker Plus. I like the sound of these pickups a lot and the #4 position sounds good, not exactly what you'd get with an SSS guitar, but quacky enough for me - might be a bit on a guitar with an Ash or Alder body.

HTH
man i bet that drop top was a drool !!!! here's mine!

Attachments

• 278985133_753921655601683_5708072733746853009_n.jpeg
    278985133_753921655601683_5708072733746853009_n.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 21
20220813_113157.jpg
This Suhr Standard isn't a Plus, but has the same pickups, V60s and SSH+. They sound just as @OrganicZed described. The body wood is Alder and no maple top, so the sound of the guitar will differ from the Plus version. This isn't a custom, but a Select from Humbucker Music, so has the SSH+ with raw nickel cover, roasted neck, and Wilkinson bridge with locking saddles instead of the usual Gotoh 510. I swapped the stock pickguard for tortoise shell (custom-ordered from Suhr due to non-standard size).

View attachment 109992
This Suhr Standard isn't a Plus, but has the same pickups, V60s and SSH+. They sound just as @OrganicZed described. The body wood is Alder and no maple top, so the sound of the guitar will differ from the Plus version. This isn't a custom, but a Select from Humbucker Music, so has the SSH+ with raw nickel cover, roasted neck, and Wilkinson bridge with locking saddles instead of the usual Gotoh 510. I swapped the stock pickguard for tortoise shell (custom-ordered from Suhr due to non-standard size).
BTW: I like the pickup combo of HSS, but don't really need three guitars with that, so will be converting this one to SSS with V60LPs (my favorite Suhr singlecoil). The Plus shown in this thread is being converted to HH, Thornbucker and TB+, which seems on-target for a guitar with mahogany body and neck. My Suhr Standard Legacy will remain HSS.

Back
Top Bottom