Suhr S4 Vs S2 with the Axe 2

layre

Hello,
I am looking at picking up another guitar for live use. My main guitars for live use are PRS CU 22 and an American Strat with Fralin Blues Specials. I have been eyeing a strat style guitar in the configuration of H-S-S (Not sure if I represented that right, but Humbucker in the bridge). This would allow me to make fewer guitar changes since I could use the humbucker for the heavier stuff and flip to single coils for the songs I want that strat sound on. I am eyeing the Suhr S2 or S4. It looks like the S2 will give me the strat sound along with the versatility of having the VSS in the bridge.

How different does the S4 sound from the S2? We cover stuff from 80's 90's alt to country.

My main concern with the H-S-S configuration is a large volume drop when going from either a SSH+ or VSS to the single coils. Is this an Issue? I know my Input setting are very different between my PRS and Strat and was wondering if I would have an issue with a single guitar containing both single coil and humbuckers.

Have you considered the PRS Signature Limited with the 408 Pickups. They were specifically designed to eliminate the volume drop when splitting the HBs. I am quite happy with the guitar. Although the Signature Limited was a 100 piece run in 2011, I believe they are using the 408's in one or more other models in 2012.

The 408s are a nice option. I haven't found them in any other models other than the Signature Limited which may be a little more than I wanted to spend.

Back
Top Bottom