Suhr Pete Thorn Signature vs Suhr Modern Plus

guitarzen

Inspired
My new guitar search has gone in a different direction, now I'm looking at Suhr guitars. I really like the Pete Thorn Signature and also the Modern Plus guitars. I'd like to hear from those of you who own and play them what the differences are in terms of tone, feel, etc. I'm looking for a versatile guitar that can do the hard rock genre remaining clear under high gain but also has good tonal diversity, cleans, etc. I have a Les Paul and Frankie for classic rock and want a guitar with a bit more modern voice that can get me into different musical territory, such as Satriani, Vai, Queensryche, Dream Theater, etc. I didn't bond with the Majesty after playing one, so these guitars look interesting to me. Also, have any of you replaced the pickups in these guitars with an Aldrich and what was the result?

The modern model is certainly versatile enough to cover the styles you're interested in. I have never played the Pete Thorn model or any guitar with the Aldrich pickups, so I can't offer first hand thoughts on the differences. Based purely on the specification sheets I can tell you that the modern is going to have hotter pickups and a thinner neck than the Pete Thorn model. Thornbuckers are supposed to be like low output vintage style pickups. The SSH+ is a really nice pickup for high gain tones. It is a medium-high output pickup with lots of string separation and clarity.

The modern model is certainly versatile enough to cover the styles you're interested in. I have never played the Pete Thorn model or any guitar with the Aldrich pickups, so I can't offer first hand thoughts on the differences. Based purely on the specification sheets I can tell you that the modern is going to have hotter pickups and a thinner neck than the Pete Thorn model. Thornbuckers are supposed to be like low output vintage style pickups. The SSH+ is a really nice pickup for high gain tones. It is a medium-high output pickup with lots of string separation and clarity.
How would you compare the Suhr Modern to the Anderson Angel with H1/H3 pickups?

I do have an Anderson Angel, but it has the H1- and H2+ pickups.

Comparing the Suhr Modern to the Anderson Angel, they are pretty similar guitars. Both are 24 fret super strat guitars. The neck on the Suhr (0.8-0.85) is smaller both in depth as well as width than the even taper profile with 1 11/16 nut on the Anderson. The upper fret access on the Anderson is much better than on the Suhr. Fit and finish are very good from both brands. Tonally they are pretty different but I think that comes down to the pickups, hardware, and woods used.

It is a little difficult to offer objective comparisons between these two models because the Modern Plus is a production model with only a few variable options whereas every Anderson is a custom order. I prefer my Anderson to my Suhr, but take into account the fact that I custom ordered the Anderson and the Suhr is a production spec. It would be a more even comparison if both were built with my chosen options.

Back
Top Bottom