Suhr Modern Satin - Opinions

deakle

Experienced
I am considering purchasing a Suhr Modern Satin. This would be my first Suhr. Anyone have any experience with the Modern Satins? Opinions?

Got one. Love it. I thought it was a little peaky but I just replaced the bridge pup with a different Suhr pup and the issue is gone. Sounds sweet as hell, plays great, light as a feather, never goes out of tune.

I have one. I played it non-stop for a couple of years (like four hours per day on average) and then grew to really dislike the neck. If you search around on google you'll find that some owners come to dislike the way the back of the neck changes over time from being 'satin' smooth to sticky and slightly rough or maybe bumpy is a better description. They don't sand those guitars the way they do more expensive models and with a quartersawn neck the grain pattern begins to feel kinda bumpy. I spent a day sanding the back of the neck way way down and then finishing it with an oil and wax combo like EBMM uses. It's amazing now. Also, if you get one with a Floyd you should know that you end up with a guitar with an inverse conical radius which is pretty weird. They don't shim the outside saddles which makes no sense to me. JS makes reference to this on his message board. Anyways, they sound great and stay in tune and, yeah, they weigh next to nothing with great balance. I haven't played mine in quite a while.I bought a Tom Anderson Angel this year and it gets 90% of the playing time now. I'll probably keep the Suhr around for whammy bar shenanigans

I have one. I played it non-stop for a couple of years (like four hours per day on average) and then grew to really dislike the neck. If you search around on google you'll find that some owners come to dislike the way the back of the neck changes over time from being 'satin' smooth to sticky and slightly rough or maybe bumpy is a better description. They don't sand those guitars the way they do more expensive models and with a quartersawn neck the grain pattern begins to feel kinda bumpy. I spent a day sanding the back of the neck way way down and then finishing it with an oil and wax combo like EBMM uses. It's amazing now. Also, if you get one with a Floyd you should know that you end up with a guitar with an inverse conical radius which is pretty weird. They don't shim the outside saddles which makes no sense to me. JS makes reference to this on his message board. Anyways, they sound great and stay in tune and, yeah, they weigh next to nothing with great balance. I haven't played mine in quite a while.I bought a Tom Anderson Angel this year and it gets 90% of the playing time now. I'll probably keep the Suhr around for whammy bar shenanigans
This kinda sounds to me like you don't really take care of the guitar. They need love. All that sticky is your ahhh 'essence' that you leave behind, (oils and dead skin). When was the last time you took it for a professional setup? I'd be willing to bet if you did that it would breathe some new life into it.

This kinda sounds to me like you don't really take care of the guitar. They need love. All that sticky is your ahhh 'essence' that you leave behind, (oils and dead skin). When was the last time you took it for a professional setup? I'd be willing to bet if you did that it would breathe some new life into it.

Uh, no, that's not it. What I'm talking about is a known issue with that model of guitar. Google it.

I have lots of guitars with many types of finish and I know how to take care of guitars. Have been since 1982. The problem is that on the satin line they really do not put much into the sanding of the guitar. It is very crude in some respects.

Back
Top Bottom