Suggestions on mixing

Tamerz

Inspired
I'm completely new to mixing. We recorded at a studio and have the raw tracks. I just redid my guitar part on this with the Axe FX II (left channel) and decided to give mixing a shot. I don't have studio monitors so I did this using the Axe over USB with Sennheiser HD 202 headphones. It sounds a little bass heavy through my computer speakers, but they aren't the best. I'd love any suggestions from people who know what they are doing ;)

EDIT: Here is a FLAC link as well if that helps: http://music.tamerz.com/as/flac/old_style.flac

Last edited:
Number one, never mix with just headphones. You need a neutral monitor setup to create a proper mix. Other tips include learning exactly which frequencies each instrument handle and eq those tracks that way so they each sit in their own unique eq range. This allows all instruments to be both clear and punchy at the same time. Last advice is to never mix for very long periods of time and be sure to take 15min breaks to rest your ears to prevent ear fatigue.

Yeah I do want to get some nice monitors eventually. However I spent enough money lately so they will have to wait.

For the EQ range, do you basically use high and low pass filters on each individual track?

I mix at very low volumes and occasionally crank it up to see how it handles. I take the "British" approach to EQ. I will subtract frequencies before I add. If something sound too dark I may try cutting some of the mids rather than boosting 10kHz or something like that. I use High pass filters on guitars. I play 7 strings so I try to make 125Hz be my lowest allowed frequency. I will cut 125Hz by around 10-12dB on the bass guitar to allow room for the guitars bottom end. Then I try to make the Bass' bottom end be an octave lower than 125Hz which would be about 62Hz. I try to make sure that the cymbals and the guitars upper mids do not clash and have a build up. Buy this book, "The Mixing Engineers Handbook". I learned a TON from that book. My mixes started sounding MUCH more cohesive and translated better across different systems, and sounded better when cranked. If you mix at high SPL's your mix will not sound great and low volumes. The human ear can't perceive subtle changes in decibel at high SPL's. This is why most successful mix engineers mix at low volumes.

In fact one engineer (I do not recall who...) says if two people were having a quiet conversation behind him in the control booth he would have to ask them to leave.

Back
Top Bottom