Suggestions for compact PA-System

jonah

Inspired
Guys..
I've started up a coverband trio... digital drums, bass, guitar.
We're old lazy farts and need a compact, well sounding PA system to enable us to do small and medium sized gigs.
We'll all be going direct into the board (Axe-Fx Ultra, Roland TD-20kx etc).
We haven't decided on whether we'll go IEM or not...

Can you give a brother some suggestions that will not ruin us, but still not suck?
Should we go with an active system or not?

All input are appreciated.

Cheers!
. jonah

No one?
What would be great with the Axe, and not kill me financially.. (the Axe already took care of that) :)
- jonah

Hey Johna,

How much do you consider not breaking you? Everyones budget is a little different. Maybe a couple of QSC K12's and a K-Sub?

Ed

Hey Johna,

How much do you consider not breaking you? Everyones budget is a little different. Maybe a couple of QSC K12's and a K-Sub?

Ed

+1 on the QSC setup or go with a used mackie equivalent, SRM450's and the SWA1501. Our worship team uses all direct instruments and bottom line your going to need some kind of sub in order to hear and feel the bass guitar and kick drum.

Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply...
The QSC are really interesting, but might be just a little bit more than we want to spend. We have to consider it..

I have dropped this question over at HRI as well, and the K12 are popular over there too.
I have also been recommended the Bose system, but I am afraid that they might not have enough power for an entire band going direct, and that they are not flat in their response...

Any thoughts?

I have to look in to those Mackies as well...

Cheers!
. jonah

I have a pair of makie 3-ways; I think they are 500w a side. Great all purpose speakers...New they were ~$1k each; consider buying a use pair if you can

I have a pair of makie 3-ways; I think they are 500w a side. Great all purpose speakers...New they were ~$1k each; consider buying a use pair if you can

Are you using one or two subs?
How do they sound with the Axe-Fx?

Cheers!
- jonah

Thanks guys and sorry for the late reply...
The QSC are really interesting, but might be just a little bit more than we want to spend. We have to consider it..

I have dropped this question over at HRI as well, and the K12 are popular over there too.
I have also been recommended the Bose system, but I am afraid that they might not have enough power for an entire band going direct, and that they are not flat in their response...

Any thoughts?

I have to look in to those Mackies as well...

Cheers!
. jonah

The Mackie stuff is decent and will make a good budget system but you just have to shop around, check Craigs list or eBay. If you get lucky you should be able to put a system together for around $1,500 or so.

I would not recommend The Bose stuff for what your wanting to do.

When I do acoustic trio's, I use 12" tops and 15" subs.
I have RCF tops and subs and I love them...but they're hard to find on the used market.
If you can find them, there great.

I would definitely recommend the QSC HPR122i tops and HPR15 subs though.
The QSC HPR gear is excellent, and in my opinion can push much harder than the K Series gear (even though K series has more power).
I would defintely go for the HPR gear if I was in the market for a small used PA.

If you want something ultra portable, take a look at Carvin's RX1200 powered mixer; the new model is the RX1200L - it used to come with an Anvil-style road case which you can buy separately. Good bang for the buck and 4 powered channels, so you can have two separate monitor mixes if you so desire. I ended up buying one just to get my own monitor channel after hearing one of our gal singers scream to much in the single monitor mix. http://www.carvinguitars.com/mixers/

Back
Top Bottom