Suggestions for Clean Tones

joe1871

Inspired
I have been a long time AxeFX lover, but only recently have I really started to try and get a good clean tone out of the box. I would love to hear a nice Fenderesque Twin or Deluxe Reverb style tone. Full and warm, without the ice pick highs or flubby lows. I have what I believe are the required guitars - Strats and Teles, PRS humbuckers on neck tone, or Ernie Ball or and other high end nice humbucker driven guitars on the neck pickup. My favorite guitar right now is a Collings I-35 Deluxe that I picked up, and put a set of "Tone Specific" 57/61 PAF's in it. The guitar is a 335 style and the blues tone is to die for, but I would like to get a nice clean (and when I say clean I mean jazz clean - no distortion whatsoever.)

Can anyone suggest the best starting point for a good clean jazz tone using the existing family of Fractal presets, or perhaps a preset by a 3rd parthy provideer. I have many of the aftermarket plugins. Ironically, the best clean tone I had was through a Fender Blues I bought in a store in CA, but the amp died on me a little while ago and I can't get any life out of it whatsoever. That is really annoying.

Let me know when you can. You help is really appreciated!

Almost any clean amp (Fender, Two Stone, ODS choose your falvour) with the Input Trim / Master turned down for no distortion, Low Cut for no bass flubb and no Bright Cap or both Triode Frequencys in Preamp turned down for no ice pick high end...

Last edited:
Did you look in the Factory Presets page in the Wiki?

“SMOKEY JAZZ” and “EAST WES” are nice starting points.

Almost any amp can do great cleans, just turn down the input drive. A Fender Twin Reverb or the Jazz Chorus are great clean amps. A Class-A amp gets a wonderful jazz tone too.

My favorites for jazz cleans is the "5f8 tweed normal"and the vibrolux. On the 5f8 you have to keep the drive control very low + lower the input trim slightly, but it has a great warm clean tone. I like to use a double verb 121 ir on it. The 4x10 super reverb irs are great for jazz as well (i like the 160 ones). Great mids and less flubby bass.

There's tons of ways to approach this. You could go for the "dirty but not really" clean where you set it to slight overdrive (or use a Drive block for boost) and then roll guitar volume back. You could add some compression on your favorite amp model.

I favor the Band Commander as well as the Super Reverb models and cabs.

Hey guys, newb question but I had the dual clean setting programmed in the first bank of my FC12 and I accidentally hit override and now I can't find it as a preset. Anyone else run into this type of thing? I did this for another preset too.

Back
Top Bottom