Suggestions for an Expression Pedal??

If you can find a Square One "crybaby" expression pedal. Jason (stilwel) used to take crybaby pedal shells and turn them into expression pedals so when used with a wah effect the "feel" was like a wah pedal.

I don';t think he's making them anymore or is possibly on a break for a while. I have one and a few other people have one on the forum. I haven't seen one for sale but keep an eye out.

Other people are using different pedals and those work as well so I am sure you'll be able to find something that you like.

From what stilwel said, the hex pedals are basically the same as his crybabys were, there just wasn't a switch in them to turn them on/off.

He said he was just using auto engage so there really wasn't a point to the switch (for him) when using it with the Axe.

I'm using a couple of these Rocktron Utopia Expression Pedals.

Smooth motion, linear taper, use as either expression pedal or vol pedal. Lightweight and compact. Metal footbed. Street price about US$65.

imagezoom.jpg

Resonant Alien said:
thanks. yeah, prolly no consensus. just looking for some suggestions, or wondering how the Boss ones are, etc. Thanks

I have an Ernie Ball Jr and a Boss FV-500L. In my opinion, the Boss is better suited as an expression pedal the the EB. Probably because it's designed as one and the EB is primarily a volume pedal. Even though they both work as expression pedals, I think the Boss has more accurate control. As such, my EB is used for controlling parameters where speed and accuracy isn't necessary, such as volume and gain levels. My Boss is used for wah and whammy functions and I have zero issues.

xrist04 said:

Smooth motion, linear taper, use as either expression pedal or vol pedal. Lightweight and compact. Metal footbed. Street price about US$65.
How strong is that pedal? It looks solid, but it looks like it'd weigh 15 pounds too. If it's lightweight, is it a metal shell? Even aluminum can only get so light when there's a big block of it.

Yeah, the Hex is a bit of a brick. A lighter one would be nice, although there's some advantage to a brick on the floor. It's just a matter of getting it there.......

scarr said:
How strong is that pedal? It looks solid, but it looks like it'd weigh 15 pounds too. If it's lightweight, is it a metal shell? Even aluminum can only get so light when there's a big block of it.
They seem pretty sturdy. I haven't jumped up and down on one yet, but they've stood up well for a dozen practices and three gigs so far. The pedal is chromed metal. I haven't taken one apart yet, but the base appears to be a metal chassis with high-impact plastic panels bolted to the sides. Four flat, non-slip, neoprene feet are on the bottom, and there's a neoprene top layer on the footbed. Haven't put one on a scale yet, but I'd say they weigh around 2 lbs (1kg) each.

xrist04 said:
scarr said:
They seem pretty sturdy. I haven't jumped up and down on one yet, but they've stood up well for a dozen practices and three gigs so far. The pedal is chromed metal. I haven't taken one apart yet, but the base appears to be a metal chassis with high-impact plastic panels bolted to the sides. Four flat, non-slip, neoprene feet are on the bottom, and there's a neoprene top layer on the footbed. Haven't put one on a scale yet, but I'd say they weigh around 2 lbs (1kg) each.
If the sides are plastic, that weight makes a bit more sense. That sounds like a decent compromise for the weight/strength ratio.

So, I'm understanding that most expression pedals don't have a "toe-down" bypass button like a crybaby. Is that true? Who makes one? I'm still using my Vetta's FBV board and I can't stand to lose the traditional wah functionality when the time comes to ditch the Vetta (ie when the Fractal controller is released). What's the word?

I use a Boss FV-300. It works very well as volume or expression. One thing that makes it very nice is that the jacks are on the front instead of on the sides like most volume type pedals. I suppose I could get angled plugs....but I like how it keeps it all tidy on the front.

boss-fv-300l.jpg

xrist04 said:

imagezoom.jpg

That loks kinda cool !

How's the feel of it (maybe compared to others) ?

Do you still need to do the rewiring thing with the Axe ?

VegaBaby said:
That loks kinda cool !

How's the feel of it (maybe compared to others) ?

Do you still need to do the rewiring thing with the Axe ?
I think the feel is good. Not too loose, not too tight. Smooth linear taper.

No rewiring (or adapters) needed. I don't plug these into the Axe-FX, though. I just use a pair of short TRS-to-TRS cables to connect them to the All Access on the floor.

I'm in the same boat that you, searching for expr. pedal and volume pedal...

I wanted a Square1 modded, but he wont make them anymore, so, sadly fo rme, I had to look for another source...

My decision (and what I'll get when I can).

* HEX for wah
* Ernie ball Jr 25k for volume

Both connected to a midi controller. ;)

jr213 said:
So, I'm understanding that most expression pedals don't have a "toe-down" bypass button like a crybaby. Is that true? Who makes one? I'm still using my Vetta's FBV board and I can't stand to lose the traditional wah functionality when the time comes to ditch the Vetta (ie when the Fractal controller is released). What's the word?

Don't know of an expression pedal that has a "toe-down" bypass. The Gordius Line of midi pedals does have that feature. Be prepared to drop about $900, but I have to say ... it's one heck of a midi controller!! :D

Havent seen the utopia before, but I do think Rocktron are the way to go. I have been thinking of a Hex.

Doesnt it have adjustable feel (loose/tight)?

How does the hex and utopia compare on price and size?

I'm only after one for now - I dont intend on using a volume pedal, just an expression for wah/whammy work - also going into a midi controler (for now my midimate - then FAS's when it arrives).

Back
Top Bottom