Suggestion: Axe-midi interface

After still not getting through my bad checksum nightmare with any success, and reading about so many people having lots of trouble with midi, I think it's time for something to be done. If we had an official midi interface specifically designed to be compatible with the axe-fx on all operating systems, wouldn't life be a lot easier? Fiddling around with lots of different interfaces that only sometimes seem to work is such a hassle.

Is this do-able or just a silly idea?

ToreFagerheim said:
After still not getting through my bad checksum nightmare with any success, and reading about so many people having lots of trouble with midi, I think it's time for something to be done. If we had an official midi interface specifically designed to be compatible with the axe-fx on all operating systems, wouldn't life be a lot easier? Fiddling around with lots of different interfaces that only sometimes seem to work is such a hassle.

Is this do-able or just a silly idea?

Has been discussed a zillion times-My Midiman 2X2 Never hiccups-ever. My Maudio ap2496 when I choose to use it Never hiccups. I even have a small Edirol UM1-s that works everytime. Has to be more than just the interface or why would folks like me using 2 or 3 different ones never have a glich? I am constatntly syncing, editing, etc. I am on your side. But pick one that you have seen works good here and get it to work. I don't mean to simplify your problem, I am sure it's a PITA.

It's not just the Midi interface... it's a combination of the Midi Interface, its drivers, your PC, its operating system, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

So a rock-solid interface for one person might not work reliably for another (using a different PC). And vice-versa - your current troublesome interface might work quite well in my PC.

Havong said that, there are some models that have a high number of happy users. Just wanted to point out that it's not necessarily a guarantee.

Dpoirier said:
It's not just the Midi interface... it's a combination of the Midi Interface, its drivers, your PC, its operating system, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

So a rock-solid interface for one person might not work reliably for another (using a different PC). And vice-versa - your current troublesome interface might work quite well in my PC.

Havong said that, there are some models that have a high number of happy users. Just wanted to point out that it's not necessarily a guarantee.

Well, it seems quite obvious that different combinations of the right hardware and software makes it all work. But wouldn't it be possible to make a midi interface specifically designed to work with the axe-fx? And then optimize it to work on most systems, and provide proper drivers for different operating systems?

I'm not much of a technology expert, but something tells me that if a device was made specifically for this task, it could increase the chances of making it work.

ToreFagerheim said:
Dpoirier said:

Well, it seems quite obvious that different combinations of the right hardware and software makes it all work. But wouldn't it be possible to make a midi interface specifically designed to work with the axe-fx? And then optimize it to work on most systems, and provide proper drivers for different operating systems?

I'm not much of a technology expert, but something tells me that if a device was made specifically for this task, it could increase the chances of making it work.

No-Midi is a very basic binary language. It could not be any simpler. On and off-that's midi. The axes midi is no different than my old GT 10's midi. Midi is midi. I don't know what the magic combo is, but I will say it again. I never have trouble with midi with my ultra (using 3 different midi interfaces) I never had trouble with midi with my GT-10 or my GS-10 or my old Boss GX700. Or my alesis Drum machine from ions ago. or my Kawwai Q-80 sequencer from the year of the flood. Midi is midi. I am not trying to be a wise guy, but midi is simple stuff. I will tell you this. I have been using midi to play music since the late 80's, yep, the late 80's. I have never, ever had any luck with the single minded sysex programs like Bomes and whatever the others are. I know many do. I use Cakewalk, Sonar, Midi librarians that came with the GT-10 and GS-10. I don't mess with hexidecimal characters. I send and receive and save. I don't think I am midi blessed. Perhaps. But as I state, I always used/use robust programs to transfer midi data, not small apps. Also someone mentioned way back when that perhaps it is something inherent in the AXE itself? I guess that's possible and I got one of the good ones. The ax editor also works well for me, although I do "not" use it for firmware upgrades. I use Cakewalk.
Although I doubt it. But I wouldn't know!
Whew!

> Midi is midi.

If only it was that simple. Isn't S/PDIF S/PDIF? Yet, many have syncing issues with S/PDIF. I have had both MIDI and S/PDIF issues with my Axe-FX and ONLY with the AXE-FX on an interface that has had ZERO issues with other devices for eight years.

I find it rather interesting that a given device can seem to give many people trouble yet it can't possibly be that device. While there are both electrical and protocol specifications for MIDI, every MIDI device implements it ever so slightly different. Connect two MIDI devices with tolerances on opposite ends of the scale (be it electrical specs, signal timing, etc.) and they may or may not work. Maybe they work in certain temperature range and not outside that range due to oscillator drift.

Given, MIDI is a rather simple interface by today's standards but it can be screwed up.

- John

JKos said:
> Midi is midi.

If only it was that simple. Isn't S/PDIF S/PDIF? Yet, many have syncing issues with S/PDIF. I have had both MIDI and S/PDIF issues with my Axe-FX and ONLY with the AXE-FX on an interface that has had ZERO issues with other devices for eight years.

I find it rather interesting that a given device can seem to give many people trouble yet it can't possibly be that device. While there are both electrical and protocol specifications for MIDI, every MIDI device implements it ever so slightly different. Connect two MIDI devices with tolerances on opposite ends of the scale (be it electrical specs, signal timing, etc.) and they may or may not work. Maybe they work in certain temperature range and not outside that range due to oscillator drift.

Given, MIDI is a rather simple interface by today's standards but it can be screwed up.

- John

I know it can be screwed up-That's obvious from the posts here. I was replying to the "special device for the ultra post" and giving examples in my life the last 20+ years with so many different midi devices. Curious? Does this refer to the Axe ? Your sentence "I find it rather interesting that a given device can seem to give many people trouble yet it can't possibly be that device"

Back
Top Bottom