Suggested cover songs for a trio?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Hey everyone,

My half-defunct band lost its keys player a while ago, and we're about to give up looking for a replacement - keyboard players are apparently scarce.

So we're thinking of redefining our covers setlists to adopt to our inevitable trio format - guitar, bass, drums (& vocals).

We usually gravitate towards classic rock (in demand at venues, and usually fun to play).

Looking for recommendations of classic rock songs that are suited for the trio format. Thanks!

may not be for EVERY venue, but when it comes to "trios" (in the rock vein), we go with:
Rush (FWtK through Signals) - Spirit of Radio, Limelight and YYZ
Police (anything but esp Regatta and Outlandos) - Roxanne, Message in a Bottle, Every Breath
Cream (anything) - Crossroads, Brave Ulysses, WhiteRoom
SRV - Coldshot, Scuttle

There are some amazing more recent trios too. The Winery Dogs and I supremely dig everything Black Orchid Empire is doing. But you will definitely need 2 singers with vocal chops on lead and backup.

Winery Dogs - this one is new classic rock by some hugely talented dudes. This song in particular has an amazing hook I am sure it would be a crowd pleaser and its probably one of their easier songs from the perspective of pulling off RK's lead guitar!

BOE Check out:

and

and

All these guys get some serious frequent play in my house!

Last edited:
Most songs can be done well with a trio. I love coping keyboard sounds w/ the axe on some songs we do.

You could get s synth rack and play synth pads with bass pedals. It gives a massive sound

Basically any drum-bass-guitar band will do. Doesn't matter if they have a separate singer or not. So, depending on the range of your singer:

Van Halen, Extreme, Living Colour, King's X, Mr. Big, ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pantera, RHCP, Audioslave, RATM, Nirvana, U2, Greenday, Muse, Primus, Police, Rush, Triumph, Prong, Cream, Blue Murder, Silverchair, Mothley Crue, Poison, Muse, Dokken, White Lion, Quiet Riot, Some (early) Ozzy, Buffalo Tom, Motorhead, POTUS, Raven, Stray Cats, Triggerfinger, Venom, Alice in Chains, Free, Blink 182, Sex Pistols, Tool, Hendrix,

The drummer is the singer? I think that might rule out a lot of the power trio music so far suggested. Singing while playing Neil Pert or Stewart Copeland?? Or Mitch Mitchell??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom