Sudden CPU Spike. WTF?!

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
I recently noticed that some of my patches were starting to make some glitchy sounds. My front panel display was showing that I was exceeding the CPU. I thought it was strange as I have meticulously made sure that all of my patches were safely within these limits.

I started going through them with axe edit (I'm still on 6.02) and they were still the same patches but now they were exceeding the CPU. I thought it may be some kind of Axe Edit communication error So I unplugged my USB and I noticed the CPU went down by around 10%, back to normal. I thought I'd figured it out and reminded myself that the new Axe Edit and FW10 are due out soon.

I went to rehearsal and plugged in my laptop to the Axe Fx cause I run Ableton to trigger samples. All of a sudden the CPU shot up again roughly 10%. Now my patches were glitching out again and it made rehearsal kinda difficult and frustrating.

This has just now started to happen. I've never had this before. Any ideas. Thanks guys.

USB certainly eat some CPU. There was some "CPU saving thread" at some point before how to save CPU in different situations. Do a search and hopefully you can find something useful.

WTF!!!!!!!
he he

I think using the USB does up the cpu With 10%
So this is normal.

This is way i make my presets With the usb plugged in. So when i use my Axe fx as a soundcard,while recording guitars,i know that my presets are "right"

IIRC Cliff optimized the Axe code to save CPU around 6.x or 7.x so maybe update the firmware can help?

Thanks for the help guys but i've never had this problem before. That iss the strangest thing about this.

I had the same thing happen awhile back. Then I realized my computer was using the AxeFx as a sound card. I changed this and everything was back to normal...even with the USB plugged in.

I had the same thing happen awhile back. Then I realized my computer was using the AxeFx as a sound card. I changed this and everything was back to normal...even with the USB plugged in.

+1

Use it with ASIO drivers in your DAW, without setting it as your actual sound card in Windows. Saves about 5-10% CPU.

I will try this. will I still have USB audio from Abelton if it is not acting as a sound card?

You should as long as you have your ASIO Drivers set to your Axe-FX in Ableton.

Here's how my setup is:

I've got my computer speakers, and then my Yamaha HS80M Monitors. My Axe-FX connects to my PC via USB, and then my Axe-FX Output 1 L / R go directly to my monitors. My computer speakers are being ran through my PC's built-in soundcard, and then my Axe-FX is my ASIO Soundcard via USB.

Basically, anything played in my DAW(Reaper) via ASIO = Goes through Axe-FX. Anything played on my computer outside of Reaper comes out of my normal computer speakers. Best of both worlds 8)

Just don't set your Axe-FX to 'Default Playback Device' in Windows. It shouldn't be set to anything outside your DAW really.

Yep. You should be able to use any sound card driver from the DAW independent of what the selection is for Windows itself.

Hey I've noticed that the CPU is fine and manageable when the computer is just idling but as soon as I start up my web browser or run Ableton it shoots up about 8-10%. Hmmmmm...

Yep. USB increases CPU load for sure.
I had this problem when i got the AF2. Created a preset that really loaded the CPU and it worked well until i connected to USB for direct recordning.

Back
Top Bottom