Stupid noob questions

1. Send your grid output to the Out 3 block if you want to hear it on Output 3. The copy option for Output 3 in the I/O menu is from Input 1 (dry guitar signal) not Output 1. You have to use the Out 3 block to hear processed output there.

2. The headroom for both the Headphone out and the Output 1 jacks are the same. Both are fed with the same signal. The difference comes in how easily your headphones are driven. Low impedance headphones will be much louder compared to high impedance ones at lower Output knob settings. The outputs also default to -10 dBV line level in the I/O menu. You can change this to +4 dBU line level for more output at the rear jacks.

3. If you connect to the Apollo via SPDIF and monitor directly via hardware on it, there should be no added latency. If you want to monitor via software to hear DAW plugins in real time, you will get the same round trip latency your Apollo always adds. Only major downside to doing it that way is being limited to only 2 channels in and out via SPDIF compared to 8 channels in and out via USB. There's no way to capture a stereo processed output and a guitar DI track at the same time via SPDIF. USB gives you more routing options.

4. CPU load is determined by whatever is on the grid whether it's active or bypassed. That includes shunt blocks and cable connections between blocks as well. Various models and modes, number of voices, number of active cabs, reverb quality, etc. all have an effect as well.

Last edited:
1. Send your grid output to the Out 3 block if you want to hear it on Output 3. The copy option for Output 3 in the I/O menu is from Input 1 (dry guitar signal) not Output 1. You have to use the Out 3 block to hear processed output there.

2. The headroom for both the Headphone out and the Output 1 jacks are the same. Both are fed with the same signal. The difference comes in how easily your headphones are driven. Low impedance headphones will be much louder compared to high impedance ones at lower Output knob settings. The outputs also default to -10 dBV line level in the I/O menu. You can change this to +4 dBU line level for more output at the rear jacks.

3. If you connect to the Apollo via SPDIF and monitor directly via hardware on it, there should be no added latency. If you want to monitor via software to hear DAW plugins in real time, you will get the same round trip latency your Apollo always adds. Only major downside to doing it that way is being limited to only 2 channels in and out via SPDIF compared to 8 channels in and out via USB. There's no way to capture a stereo processed output and a guitar DI track at the same time via SPDIF. USB gives you more routing options.

4. CPU load is determined by whatever is on the grid whether it's active or bypassed. That includes shunt blocks and cable connections between blocks as well. Various models and modes, number of voices, number of active cabs, reverb quality, etc. all have an effect as well.

Thanks for all the info!

Anybody? Just wanna make sure I’m not buying the wrong thing before I pull the trigger on this. Thanks!

Another stupid question but those xlr outs for output 2, a regular xlr mic cable should work for those right? Or is there some special xlr non-microphone cable I need for it?

Back
Top Bottom