Stupid IR question - please answer

dwmichaels

Inspired
I've seen a lot of IRs (on the web, in FX and redwirz/ownhammer, etc.) and I can see in the west coast ax fest that changing the cabs/IRs can make a big difference in the sound. But how would you know which to purchase or pick up? I don't have experience with most (hell, almost any) of the cabs so I'd just be guessing as to the sound.

Wondering if when you guys purchasing stuff you're looking for something specific or if you're going by something else.

Appreciate any info.

I suggest you download the James Santiago Fractal IRs and read up on their intended use for clean/dirty. Some good stuff there. I recommend the new Version 2 Ownhammer G12M library for general rock/distortion sounds. And the OH beta files for big heavy stuff.

I watched the James Santiago video and that's part of what prompted my question. He's been chasing tone for years and and had a specific tone in mind. Such and such speaker combined with this cabinet pushed to x limit with these tubes and the mic placed and this intersection of the cone, etc. Are folks that are purchasing IRs looking for a specific tone? Or just testing them knowing that they will probably sound good?

I would hold off buying any of the commercial ones for now. some good stuff coming soon...

There is no clear way and no clear target. You got to try what you like. The advantage of the OH and the RW stuff is that they took a lot of captures of each cab with different mics and different positions, wich allows to select exactly the one that you like. You buy a collection of one cab just to search the one capture that you like.

Different blends with the stocks can be made by mixes as well, just set the cab block to stereo and put both pans to center, that way you can mix two internal cabs.

I like combinations of one of the Jay Mitchell far fields (stock) with other cabs. My best bet!

Among the free (But you can donate) stuff I like the signals god cabs collection. You can download the collection 1.4 with a document with pics. Maybe the point to start? Their collection with it's great documentation.

Back
Top Bottom