studio monitors?

Ok so I got the HS7 at a good price. They sound very different to the alesis I had before.

HS7 has more clarity and much more stereo detail. Im sure they are flatter and I understand this is a good thing for accuracy and analysis.

But are they musical? Well, I REALLY have to get used to them. Listening to music, I immediately selected the high cut (-2 DB above 2000) because I thought the high end was too much for me. It helped a little. Music sounds less cohesive somehow.
Bass is tight, even though they are positioned very close to a wall, and without the need of low cut. This is a positive.
But let me tell you I was exhausted listening to them the first time for about one hour.

Using the axe, distortion sounds different, and I guess better than before.

So I learned that monitors are indeed a big influence. It makes sense to me to have monitors as flat as possible when working with IR's, or else the IR wont work as intended. I just don't know yet if THESE monitors are the ones for me. I will run them for a couple more hours to break them in. I can return them if I need to. I really dont know yet.

Im curious to learn how you guys feel about listening to music on monitors. Did you have to get used to them at all? Or was it obvious to you from the start which monitors you preferred?

Cheers, Oscar

I had the Yamaha HS7 and thought the sound was good but was just missing something. Then tried the Mission Gemini 1 and that sounded really good also but then the Atomic CLR Neo became available so I decided to give it a try. I am glad I did and you will not really appreciate how it sounds until you have it with you with Axe Fx. I know this thread is about studio monitors but this was my experience.

Bump. Good thread, lots of info. I'm on the fence between the Presonus Sceptre S6, Equator D8, and the Tannoy System 800/600. I'm torn between active or passive, and 8 inch or 6 inch woofer. They're going in a bedroom about 15'x15' with lots of curtains, I will be sitting very close to the monitors so will I feel some bass from the 6 inchers? Also, I like the coaxial design of each of these. If I went with the Tannoys I'd be using an ADA Microtube 200 amplifier. Thanks for any input.

Also looking at the Mackie HR824MK2 and the 6" version. My price range is between 600 - 800, saw some good deals on the Mackies.

I gotta quit reading about monitors, a guy at Gearsluts chose the Yamaha HS7's over some higher end monitors. Opinions? I greatly appreciate it :)

Now, a power conditioner… exciting

Back
Top Bottom