Studio Monitors for High Gain tones

Remember, the room is a big part of the sound. If you dial in your sounds in a fairly small room at loud volume, the room will have a huge impact on your low-end. Now if you go to a stage in a much bigger room, the low-end will change completely just because the room responds very differently.

Yeah they’re the ones I want also, I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Please keep us posted!
Yes, I will do that! They will be delivered later today and today I am also going to pick up a used Helix floor so tomorrow it’s playtime!
During my 2 week Christmas break I will also order the FM3 so I can compare Fractal vs Helix and decide what to keep. I actually wanted the FM9 but because I was very late joining the waiting list that could take a really long time.

The first question you should be asking yourself is "why are your presets not translating to the stage?" and then work on that. Personally, I am not a fan of the Headrush, but it is an adequate powered speaker for this. New gear may not be the answer, if the problem is how you are setting up your presets.
This.
I find it hard to believe that folks have such a varied experience between the types of monitors used to set up their presets. I regularly edit presets on Event BAS monitors, Headrush 108's, and a variety of headphones along w the PA for shows.
There just isn't that much of a difference to get bent over IMO. That's why you'd set up the performance pages on the Axe or have a variety of presets that use different EQ settings or amps or whatever to fit the room.

depends on whether you like how HS8s sound I guess? I "upgraded" to a pair of fancier monitors but ended up going back to the HS8s because I liked the sound better.
They're definitely my pick for all day listening. For guitar though, definitely a low mid bump and the highs are obviously too present to be useful for live tones.
OP should use live gear for live tones and studio gear for studio tones.

There are lot of treads about studio monitors.. Before waste money consider the room size the threarment the distance from the walls and the volume at which you create your presets... If you re in a small unthreated room an 8 inch monitor will be absolutely unusable at low volumes. So the response will not be probably flat and accurate

Getting, or even giving, speaker recommendations is actually really hard.

If you have an untreated room, like most people, there's no telling what any speaker is going to sound like. Even in a treated room, there are different ways to go about doing that which yield different results.

When I treated my room a few years ago, I was absolutely shocked at how bad some very well-regarded speakers sounded. Does that mean that they're bad speakers? No. Absolutely not. It just means that they didn't work in my room and I had to look elsewhere. It got to the point that I didn't even bother demoing speakers anywhere else. I bought and returned probably 8 or 10 sets of speakers. I lost count. When I finally found a set I was happy with, I just stopped shopping. And while it was a huge pain that took months to do....I have yet to be disappointed. I will say that I seem to have gotten lucky with my subwoofers....the first pair I tried did exactly what I needed after I got the digital XO worked out.

If I had to buy more speakers today and had the money (or room on my credit card), I'd build a short list based on reputation and budget and then randomly buy ~3 sets....set them up, and listen to my reference playlist. If I don't hear the right things in my references, that set would go back in the box, the return would start, and I'd move on to the next set.

But, to some degree, unless there are specific problems....it doesn't even really matter which ones you choose. It's more important that you know how music is supposed to sound on them, which comes from deciding on "good enough" and then listening to a LOT of music.

Nothing will ever sound identical room-to-room. Even with the same speakers. Especially if your room isn't treated, I'm tempted to say get basically any set in your budget and learn them inside and out by critically listening to a lot of commercial music in the styles you want to play. And if, for whatever reason, you come to hate one set....return them and try something else. And don't worry what anyone else thinks of your speakers.

PreSonus Sceptre S6 is what I rock. I got a pair used for $725. I love the coaxial configuration and front firing bass reflex port. I bought these to replace a set of Yamaha HS5 and the Sceptre S6 blew the HS5 out of the water. Tons of power/volume & it has a good soundstage/sweet spot.

Back
Top Bottom