Studio monitor woofer size impact on sound

NizarOdeh85

Inspired
Hi all,

I am about to make final decision to buy studio monitor for the newly coming FM3 :)

My main and only use for the FM3 will be playing in bedroom (16 m2) with low volume. My questions are:

1- Do I really have to shoot for the biggest woofer size for a better low end? For example Adam A8X over A7X?
2- Which would make the FM3 shine better: 2-way or 3-way monitors?
3- I care about low end and getting feedback from the speakers when I stand with the guitar in front of them. Will such monitors help in that?

Thanks for your answers in advance :)

I have a fairly small room and went with the A5x with sub8. You could almost do without the sub for guitar playing but it’s nice for listening to music

Doubt you will get feedback from a studio monitor unless it is LOUD

You’d likely be better served with something like a floor wedge with a 12” speaker like a CLR, Headrush etc, depending on budget

Better dispersion, can output more volume, buffer low end etc

Studio monitors, near fields in particular, are meant for accurate monitoring and sitting in a sweet spot and recording, mixing etc

If you want something where you can stand, move around the room etc, a floor wedge is the way to, IMO.

I have nice studio monitors and a sub but I also use a CLR for guitar playing, just “feels” better, I can stand with my foot on the cab and play etc

Doubt you will get feedback from a studio monitor unless it is LOUD

You’d likely be better served with something like a floor wedge with a 12” speaker like a CLR, Headrush etc, depending on budget

Better dispersion, can output more volume, buffer low end etc

Studio monitors, near fields in particular, are meant for accurate monitoring and sitting in a sweet spot and recording, mixing etc

If you want something where you can stand, move around the room etc, a floor wedge is the way to, IMO.

I have nice studio monitors and a sub but I also use a CLR for guitar playing, just “feels” better, I can stand with my foot on the cab and play etc
From what I read on these forums and seen on YouTube, most players recommend studio monitors for playing at low volumes in bedroom. Because of that, I was wondering if I shall go 7", 8" or even larger speakers for 16 m2 room. Also, the 2-way vs 3-way systems is still a question to me, whether it impacts this specific use case (Playing guitar in room).

Buy a pair of iloud micro monitor expecially if the room is unthreated.. You ll never use more than a 5" monitor in that room.. Another factor is the distance from the walls.. These monitors have great frequency response in 50watt..eve sc 203 is the alternative..

From what I read on these forums and seen on YouTube, most players recommend studio monitors for playing at low volumes in bedroom. Because of that, I was wondering if I shall go 7", 8" or even larger speakers for 16 m2 room. Also, the 2-way vs 3-way systems is still a question to me, whether it impacts this specific use case (Playing guitar in room).

Real guitar cabinets don’t have 2 or 3 way systems so it’s not really an issue for guitar reproduction/modeling, IMO

I high and low pass my patches at 100hz and 6000hz, so it’s really a non-issue what type of tweeter arrangement etc it has as your not getting guitar in that range anyways, likewise, unless your also using it for bass the difference in lows isn’t a huge factor either.

Just really depends if you want a stereo image and want to play sitting in the sweet spot of studio monitors or if you want something more like a cab sitting on the floor, AND, do you want something you can grab and take to a buddy’s place etc

I don’t want to unhook my studio monitors so I also have a cheap headrush 108 which sounds good and is easy to grab with one hand and carry to jams etc

Really comes down to different tools for different applications so you need to pick what is most important, or consider both, since they both excel at certain things.

In my case, frfr wedges for jamming, studio monitors for recording, mixing, et al.

1. The Adam A7X frequency range is 42Hz - 50kHz. The Adam A8Xfrequency range is 38 Hz to 50 kHz.
So both should have plenty of low end for the FM3.

2. Depends on the brand and model of speaker. I think the Adams are 2 way and they get great reviews here on the forum.

3. You have to be playing pretty loud to get feedback, but you can get it if you are playing loud enough and you are close enough to the speakers.

Last edited:
1. The Adam A7X frequency range is 42Hz - 50kHz. The Adam A8Xfrequency range is 38 Hz to 50 kHz.
So with should have plenty of low end for the FM3.

2. Depends on the brand and model of speaker. I think the Adams are 2 way and they get great reviews here on the forum.

3. You have to be playing pretty loud to get feedback, but you can get it if you are playing loud enough and you are close enough to the speakers.
Thanks a lot! Can you please tell me whether the 2-way Adam A8X or 2.5-way Adam A77X would be more suitable for this application?

Ultimately it depends on what you want to hear.
I use Adam S2X monitors. They're 7.5s. I'm very happy with them.
Ultimately I'd say it depends on what you want to hear.
Get the best you can afford.

Ultimately it depends on what you want to hear.
I use Adam S2X monitors. They're 7.5s. I'm very happy with them.
Ultimately I'd say it depends on what you want to hear.
Get the best you can afford.
I am looking for the follwing:
  • Clarity and Depth of sound in bedroom level volume
  • If possible, get feedback from the speakers, when I get pretty close to them
  • Best possible low end
In other words, if it is possible to simulate big arena sound in low volumes :) Those delay and reverb effects that sound big in concerts!

Here is an example: Craig Goldie guitar solo Dio live in Philly 1986

I plan to play the FM3 in my bedroom only, along with backing tracks from YouTube.

I have a pair of Adam A5X monitors and a Sub7. I often don't turn on the sub when I'm just playing guitar because it doesn't add much (but the punch it adds is noticeable and really adds a lot for full range music playback). I think the A5X's sound good but I think I'm going to get some larger speakers to compliment them at some point because they don't fill a room the same way a guitar cab does.

Back
Top Bottom